The Pirates Code

Cheese

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
I was looking up facts on Black Bart and came across the Pirates Code. Their rules. Pretty neat, No Gambling or Women or Kids on boards. Thought yall might like this.

from wiki
I. Every man has a vote in affairs of moment; has equal title to the fresh provisions, or strong liquors, at any time seized, and may use them at pleasure, unless a scarcity makes it necessary, for the good of all, to vote a retrenchment.

II. Every man to be called fairly in turn, by list, on board of prizes because, (over and above their proper share,) they were on these occasions allowed a shift of clothes: but if they defrauded the company to the value of a dollar in plate, jewels, or money, marooning was their punishment. If the robbery was only betwixt one another, they contented themselves with slitting the ears and nose of him that was guilty, and set him on shore, not in an uninhabited place, but somewhere, where he was sure to encounter hardships.

III. No person to game at cards or dice for money.

IV. The lights and candles to be put out at eight o'clock at night: if any of the crew, after that hour still remained inclined for drinking, they were to do it on the open deck;

V. To keep their piece, pistols, and cutlass clean and fit for service.

VI. No boy or woman to be allowed amongst them. If any man were to be found seducing any of the latter sex, and carried her to sea, disguised, he was to suffer death;

VII. To desert the ship or their quarters in battle, was punished with death or marooning.

VIII. No striking one another on board, but every man's quarrels to be ended on shore, at sword and pistol.

IX. No man to talk of breaking up their way of living, till each had shared one thousand pounds. If in order to this, any man should lose a limb, or become a cripple in their service, he was to have eight hundred dollars, out of the public stock, and for lesser hurts, proportionately.

X. The Captain and Quartermaster to receive two shares of a prize: the master, boatswain, and gunner, one share and a half, and other officers one and quarter.

XI. The musicians to have rest on the Sabbath Day, but the other six days and nights, none without special favour.[36][37]

and Black Bart was a bad mother fucker. 400 ships taken in 3 yrs

Pretty cool. Interesting that they pretty much called it a night at 8 pm lol. Also number 9 almost makes it seems like they are indentured servants, unless I'm reading it wrong.

Pretty cool. Interesting that they pretty much called it a night at 8 pm lol. Also number 9 almost makes it seems like they are indentured servants, unless I'm reading it wrong.

Nah, taps at 2000 only ment you partied on the main deck and not in berthing. Was good for the poor bastards with 04-08 watch.

This is a habit I see today on a ship. Taps is officially at 2200 but folks get quiet at 2000

#9 seem more unionish... disability and all

This thread needs more love. It's honestly really cool. I love #2 lol

Thoughts from the closest thing to a real pirate to sail the Berry:

1: Democracy is a good thing

2: Agree. Thieves are a cancer aboard and should be dealt with harshly

3: Fuckers betting/owing money leads to some conflict. Keep that shit ashore

4: (see above post) Agree be cool to the 0400-0800 watch.

5: Damn right. Be ready for battle.

6: Yup...no further comment

7: Yep still in play in most modern armed forces

8: I wish. Would purge bad blood better

9: Union stuff dont know

10. Fair enough...more responsibility more money

11. Agree. Have any of you lubbers ever tried to do pirate shit with no.music?

There's Jack Rackham who had two women in his crew Anne Bonny and Mary Read I wonder if his crew knew if they would've killed him.

Back