The Pharmacist's Corner

Status
Not open for further replies.

wyandotterph

Green Belt
Reaction score
Hey guys figured I would offer my services. I am a licensed pharmacist in Michigan, and I hold the following degrees

B.S. Pharmacy Wayne State University
MPH The University of Michigan
MBA The University of Michigan
Pharm-D Idaho State University

Any questions on supplements hit me up, I will be more than happy to answer them for you.

How much fish oil should I take a day? I have seen all sorts of different amounts ranging from 600 mg to 10 grams of dha/epa. What do you think?

How addictive is oxycodone? I have some left over from my surgery and I pop one once in a while because it helps me sleep a lot of the time. Should I worry about becoming dependent on it?

How much fish oil should I take a day? I have seen all sorts of different amounts ranging from 600 mg to 10 grams of dha/epa. What do you think?

Its really debateable, Some is better than none, more is better than some (to an extent).

If you eat a healthy diet full of fish, nuts, etc then you really dont need any additional.

However as an everyday supplement there is really no reason to go over 1gm (1000mg) per day

How addictive is oxycodone? I have some left over from my surgery and I pop one once in a while because it helps me sleep a lot of the time. Should I worry about becoming dependent on it?

You have to remember that Oxyontin is a derivative of Heroin, and is a very strong opiate itself. It is very addictive, and should not be taken for any reason other than what it is prescribed for. Oxycontin is what is called a schedule II narcotic. The DEA classifies the Schedule based on its healthbenefit vs addictiveness potential. The only drugs more addictive than Schedule II are Schedule I drugs which include heroin, cocaine, marijuanna (not for long), etc.

So to answer your question it is very addictive, and is a rising epidemic among drug addicts, and the average joe citizen alike. So yes be careful with it because you can become dependent upon them.

Its really debateable, Some is better than none, more is better than some (to an extent).

If you eat a healthy diet full of fish, nuts, etc then you really dont need any additional.

However as an everyday supplement there is really no reason to go over 1gm (1000mg) per day

Sounds good, thanks for the info.

You have to remember that Oxyontin is a derivative of Heroin, and is a very strong opiate itself. It is very addictive, and should not be taken for any reason other than what it is prescribed for. Oxycontin is what is called a schedule II narcotic. The DEA classifies the Schedule based on its healthbenefit vs addictiveness potential. The only drugs more addictive than Schedule II are Schedule I drugs which include heroin, cocaine, marijuanna (not for long), etc.

So to answer your question it is very addictive, and is a rising epidemic among drug addicts, and the average joe citizen alike. So yes be careful with it because you can become dependent upon them.

Oxycontin is the active ingredient in oxycodone, right? I believe that oxycodone is a mixture between oxycontin and tylenol. And oxycodone is generic percocet. The drug oxycontin is the pure form of it, right?

Is what I just said correct?

Oxycontin is the active ingredient in oxycodone, right? I believe that oxycodone is a mixture between oxycontin and tylenol. And oxycodone is generic percocet. The drug oxycontin is the pure form of it, right?

Is what I just said correct?

Oxycodone is the active ingredient in Oxycontin, an Percocet

Percocet is a mixture of oxycodone and tylenol

Oxycontin is just a brand name for oxycodone extended release (there is no tylneol in oxycontin)

Q: Are there any effective liver health supplements?
I drink a lot on the weekends and my liver is the only organ I worry about.

I know people take milk thistle (I've just bought a bottle from costco). I know cysteine is used to reverse liver damage as well (from eating poisonous mushrooms for example). What do you know about cysteine or its various forms?

Q: Are there any effective liver health supplements?
I drink a lot on the weekends and my liver is the only organ I worry about.

I know people take milk thistle (I've just bought a bottle from costco). I know cysteine is used to reverse liver damage as well (from eating poisonous mushrooms for example). What do you know about cysteine or its various forms?

Cysteine used to reverse the effects of alcohol is a proposed use, but more studies have to be done to show that it actually works for this use.

Cysteine does seem to have benefits for liver health, and is used to reverse the damage associated with Tylenol overdose. Drinking on the weekend isnt going to cause huge damage to your liver unless you are drinking like a case of beer on Friday and a fifth of Scotch on Saturday (over exaggeration but you get it). If you are drinking over 3 drinks each day of the weekend, we call that binge drinking. Best thing to do is not drink yourself stupid, and take a b-complex vitamin every day. Milk thistle is rumored to work, and some studies have showed benefit, but the truth is that it will probably not do a whole lot, but wont hurt you either.

Cysteine as a supplement is probably not a great idea. Your body basically makes it from Methionine, so you should only add more if you really need it. N-Acetly Cysteine (most common form called NAC) may raise levels of homocysteine, another amino acid in the body believed to play a role in heart disease. Extremely high doses (more than 7 grams) of cysteine may be toxic to your cells, and can even lead to death.
Oral NAC may cause nausea, vomiting, and diarrhea, and some forms of Cysteine (D-cysteine, D-cystine, and 5-methyl cysteine) are toxic.

Hope that helps.

Oxycodone is the active ingredient in Oxycontin, an Percocet

Percocet is a mixture of oxycodone and tylenol

Oxycontin is just a brand name for oxycodone extended release (there is no tylneol in oxycontin)

Damn...and this whole time I try to tell people that it is NOT oxycontin....but I guess it IS very similar.

Thanks for the info! Luckily I only take like one every few weeks on the odd night I have difficulty sleeping.

wyandotterph, thanks for offering your knowledge to us!

I've read that ephedrine should be 'cycled', five days on, two off or some variation. Recently I've read that it IS safe to take all the time, due to the type of chemical it is - reasoning being, since you are stimulating a whole set of receptors, instead of just one, somehow that makes it safe. Do you have any insights on this?

I do appreciate the fact you're bringing and offering your knowledge to the forum, thank you. I do have some points to make, though.

I disagree; chronic inflammation and an imbalance of O6 to O6 is going to necessitate a need for a much higher intake than from fish. Plus, nuts offer zero EPA and DHA, and are heavy on the O6s.

What is the basis for this dose? Is this a dose for a healthy adult male of 100kg, a chronically sick female of 50kg, a healthy, active MMA athlete that trains 5x a week, or a sedentary geriatric? Throwing out a random dose as a catch-all without backing is a bit baseless.

I do appreciate the fact your bringing and offering your knowledge to the forum, thank you. I do have some points to make, though.

I disagree; chronic inflammation and an imbalance of O6 to O6 is going to necessitate a need for a much higher intake than from fish. Plus, nuts offer zero EPA and DHA, and are heavy on the O6s.

What is the basis for this dose? Is this a dose for a healthy adult male of 100kg, a chronically sick female of 50kg, a healthy, active MMA athlete that trains 5x a week, or a sedentary geriatric? Throwing out a random dose as a catch-all without backing is a bit baseless.

Both good points, I was going to make a similar comment earlier but decided I didn't have time to write an articulate response at that moment. A little poking around through the research will show lots of different dosages being useful (or useless) for lots of different purposes, so, like you said, a catch-all dose doesn't really cut it.

I also appreciate this information!

Another one from me...I recently developed another ringworm spot after my previous had been gone for about a month. I put on Ketoderm (ketoprozole...something like that). Is there anything wrong with putting it on 2 times or more?

have you seen anything that suggests promise from the hangover prevention drugs that are supposed to inhibit the oxidation of teh alcohol to acetaldehyde?

don't know the names. i'm not sure, but it may be the mechanism for chaser.

no, not hard drugs. something scripted or possibly sold as a supp.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back