The overlooked cheater: The Blood Doper

Every athlete on the planet is taking/doing something to give them an edge. And I don't care.

Does this have anything to do with midichlorians? Maybe Anakin Skywalker was a blood doper. Could explain his mood swings (or could it - I don' know much about this, but I thought doping of all sorts causes mood instability (I don't know what my thing is with parentheses, I could go full Inception with this shit (seriously, it's a common habit of mine. (also, I recall some poster randomly saying that McGregor was blood doping) Okay, I'll stop) my writing teacher used to tell me I needed to stop using them so much (yes I took a class - no I don't try as hard in Sherdog)). My guess is it probably doesn't cause defecting to the darkside).

A lot of UFC fighters cheat, and cheat a lot. They are lying little shits about it but tough luck welcome to the real world. This is 3rd grade level of explanation, but it communicates the point.

Now obviously there are your run of the mill steroid takers and they get caught on a fairly regular basis. But has anyone EVER been caught for blood doping? You ever watch a fighter just sit in third or fourth gear for 5 full rounds with barely any drop in output or power? Especially BIG fighters (Cain, DC, JJ) How about late career resurgences where they were known for gassing hard in the first round but suddenly are 5 round champs overnight (Hendricks, Lawler, Woodley). What about fighters that completely just grind out their opponents with wrestling and strikes and barely let up to recover despite bouncing around non stop (Cruz, DJ, TJ)

Everyone is OBSESSED with anabolic steroid or drugs that grow muscle, why overlook output?

Hey, guy, ALL TOP ATHLETES IN ALL SPORTS DOPE.

grow up.

TS should have named his thread "you won't believe what athletes will do to win a gold medal", it would fit his clickbait agenda perfectly.

Blood doping is an odd one cause it's just your own blood being stored and then put back in you. Don't think it should be illegal.

Athletes used to inject their own stored (refrigerated) blood back into them before EPO was invented to pump up their hemoglobin for more endurance. Its just the old way of getting peds in the body.

Wait this is pretty cool stuff, also brings into question what should count as cheating.

Do you think any of these guys would make it to the UFC against all kinds of doped fighters, if they were not doping themselves? Or even to Bellator, WSOF, Rizin or KSW? No way.

It is almost impossible to get caught doping. To do so, they need to be very unlucky or make a huge mistake.

hqdefault.jpg

Sort of correct. It's not that the goal is to have more pints of blood, just to have more red blood cells to carry more oxygen (which is also what EPO does)

"Blood doping is the practice of boosting the number of red blood cells in the bloodstream in order to enhance athletic performance. Because such blood cells carry oxygen from the lungs to the muscles, a higher concentration in the blood can improve an athlete's aerobic capacity (VO2 max) and endurance."
That's some fucking diabolical level cheAting there

Ya I tried reading that and was completely lost but was thinking there has to be a way from catching guys doing epo

As far as EPO goes, it has a very short half life. If you microdose late at night, you can generally be clear by the morning. Generally if athletes test positive for epo its because they either a) injected too much b) missed the vein and injected into the flesh (thereby doubling the half life).

As far as the bio passport goes, the simple guide.

There are three or four key values

Haematocrit - hct - this is the percentage of blood that is made up of red blood cells (the oxygen carrying blood cells). Most peoples hct will be something between 35 and 45%, that is, 35 to 45% of their blood is comprised of red blood cells. The higher the value, the more oxygen the body can carry, the fitter you are essentially. Over 50% is considered doping, but in teh past athletes hae pushed that up to 60% or even more. The downside, the higher your hct the thicker your blood becomes. eventually to the point of death. we saw a spate of (largely unreported or glossed over) deaths in cycling in the nineties, and heart attack amongst seemingly young healthy athletes is one of sports dirty secrets. hct is mostly linked with EPO use, when you inject EPO, the body produces more rbc's.

then the passport...

the key's

Reticulocytes (retics) - these are the immature blood cells, the newly formed ones. normal range is that between .5 and 1.5% of blood cells are immature and outside of this range can be considered doping. Why? When you withdraw blood from the body (for later reinfusion as part of blood doping), the body sees there is less blood in the body, so it reacts by producing more retics, making more blood and so your retic % will increase. Coversely when an athlete reinfuses blood as part of blood doping the body see's there is loads of blood so stops producing more, so the retics fall.

Hemoglobin (hb) - this is the red stuff that carries the oxygen around the body. this has the opposite behaviour. When an athlete withdraws blood there is less blood in teh body and the Hb volume drops, when blood is reintroduced to the body via a transfusion the hb volume increases.

Off score - is a mathematical magic number that is reached by calculating Hb/Retic% against each other - Hb x 10 – 60 (square root of the reticulocyte %))

the off score in a clean athlete should always be pretty stable.. hb levels v retic levels will always have a fairly constant relationship.

If an off-score jumps by huge amounts (as we saw in the barnett/brown test data) then its indicitive of blood doping

If an off score is very high, over 105 (as we saw in Anderson silva test data he had off-scores of 95, 102 and 105.8) then that too, can be indicitive of blood doping

theres a prtty good guide/summary here by Ross Tucker (who knows his stuff, great guy)

https://sportsscientists.com/2011/03/the-biological-passport-legal-scientific-and-performance-views/

Horrible execution but yes it's an area often overshadowed by the use of Anabolics.

LET THEM ROID, FOR FUCK SAKE

just makes the sport more enjoyable to watch

Athletes used to inject their own stored (refrigerated) blood back into them before EPO was invented to pump up their hemoglobin for more endurance. Its just the old way of getting peds in the body.

It's not a drug though, it's their own blood.

Yes and no

Blood doping was used to a degree in the late seventies and early eighties. Conconi was one of the chief proponents doping amongst others moser for his hour attempt. It was also done on the US Olympic team under the guidance of Eddie B.

Its important to note though that blood doping in the form of transfusions wasn't prohibited then (it was made illegal in the mid eighties if memory serves)

Also worth noting a lot of this was bad on Autologous transfusions, using someone else's blood rather that had a matching blood group.

Blood doping kinda went out of vogue by the end of the eighties but by the early 90's epo became available. And with no way of detecting it everyone went nuts on it (so nuts there were countless deaths from athletes turning their blood to syrup). It's pretty much impossible to take any sporting achievement or record from the 90's seriously tbh.

When the test for epo came out in 2000 that's when everyone started blood doping in a big way. First autologous transfusions and then as they worked out a system of withdrawal, store, reinfuse homologous transfusions

What's notable is the reintroduction of transfusion based doping was mostly spearheaded by Conconi students /disciples such as Michele Ferrari (who worked with Armstrong), luigi cecchini and others

Back