The orginal UFC badass...

Duarte came in like 5-0 from fighting in smaller orgs--plus his Luta Livre reputation. He actually did look good in his pre-UFC fights. He was supposed to be the next big thing...a more powerful version of Marco Ruas. If ever a fighter took another fighter's soul, it was Tank in that fight. Duarte fought like a scared child after that.
It was what led to Duarte vs Kerr... The most hilarious fight there ever was. Duarte went from throwing down with Rickson Gracie to running for his life. The "Tank Effect".

Tank Abbot vs Jake Shields is a true dream match of this sport. Anyone who disagrees is a casual.

Simply reading the thread title, I expected this to be a thread about the Huntington Beach Badboy.

What i remember most of Tank was the toe hold Mir caught him in..

I don't know how you found that more memorable than his KO of Nelmark, I thought he'd killed him.

200.gif

IDK if it is still in the archives but in the beginning of the sherdog radio network they did a savage dog show with tank sitting in and he proceeds to drink a whole bottle os raspberry stoli. Its worth a listen.

The "fighting for the guys in the bars" torch clearly passed from Tank to Roy Nelson. It needs to be passed again, as Roy is too old and slow to KO anyone these days.

He was the first mainstream superstar. He had a cameo in Friends when the show was at it's peak. That was quite a big deal at the time.

Did you used to watch Friends?

I don't know how you found that more memorable than his KO of Nelmark, I thought he'd killed him.
I thought Matua was dying live on PPV as well. That's 2 times people thought men were killed at the hands of Tank. God bless those hands

Back