The only time Tyson looked scared during his entrance

XThe GreatestX

Gold Belt
@Gold
Reaction score
Badass entrance by both Mike and Lennox....but man did Mike look apprehensive that night. I think he knew what was about to happen. Lennox looked like a stone cold killer coming out to the feel-good music

Badass entrance by both Mike and Lennox....but man did Mike look apprehensive that night. I think he knew what was about to happen. Lennox looked like a stone cold killer coming out to the feel-good music

Actually, word from the inside was that Tysons morale was very high. He really thought he was going to win. I wouldn't read too much into this stuff.
It was later revealed that Tyson was coked up and in no condition to fight. But enjoy it for what it is.

As Lewis said at the time, fighters mature differently. Tyson was the sprinter, Lewis the middle distance guy.
I listen to an interview afterwards asking if Tyson was just too old to fight Lewis.
Lewis is nearly a year older than Iron Mike. He'd just done less in the time.
A prime Tyson against the Razor Ruddock beating Lewis? Who knows, but that night Lewis came in knowing it was his time.

Actually, word from the inside was that Tysons morale was very high. He really thought he was going to win. I wouldn't read too much into this stuff.
It was later revealed that Tyson was coked up and in no condition to fight. But enjoy it for what it is.
Tyson was 14 years past his prime and in no condition to fight. If it was a baby eating contest he might have had a chance. :D

As Lewis said at the time, fighters mature differently. Tyson was the sprinter, Lewis the middle distance guy.
I listen to an interview afterwards asking if Tyson was just too old to fight Lewis.
A prime Tyson against the Razor Ruddock beating Lewis? Who knows, but that night Lewis came in knowing it was his time.
This fight does very little for Lewis in a historical perspective.

And nobody has suggested otherwise

Lewis has. He always talks about when beating Mike Tyson, how Buster Douglas showed the way. Not one mention of the fact that Tyson was in bad condition and way past his prime. He actually thinks his win meant something

Young Tyson beats young Lewis. 100%. Just watch Lewis pathetic effort against Mercer.

And nobody has suggested otherwise
Lewis seems to think so tbh.

I mean. Its kinda like Calzaghe trying to convince people that his Roy Jones win meant something. I guess if I was the guy who beat them I would do the same.

But the reality is both Roy and Tyson were done by the time they got to Lewis and Calzaghe

Young Tyson beats young Lewis. 100%. Just watch Lewis pathetic effort against Mercer.
Interesting thought. I am not sure I agree tbh. Lennox to me would have had a problem with Bowe tbh ( yes I know Bowe threw the belt in the trash). But if I was going to make a guy to beat Lennox he would need to be just as big and have the ability to fight inside and out.

Mike maybe could have caught Lennox of course. But I think Lennox wins most of the time

Lewis seems to think so tbh.

I mean. Its kinda like Calzaghe trying to convince people that his Roy Jones win meant something. I guess if I was the guy who beat them I would do the same.

But the reality is both Roy and Tyson were done by the time they got to Lewis and Calzaghe

Well thats a given, but your talking about boxers who are egomaniacs, i'd like to see you quote anyone other than Lewis and his team who thought the win against Tyson was some sort of career defining win

Interesting thought. I am not sure I agree tbh. Lennox to me would have had a problem with Bowe tbh ( yes I know Bowe threw the belt in the trash). But if I was going to make a guy to beat Lennox he would need to be just as big and have the ability to fight inside and out.

Mike maybe could have caught Lennox of course. But I think Lennox wins most of the time

Mercer is 6f 1. Nowhere near Lewis height. Could still outbox him. Need I point out that 80s Tyson is a far superior boxer than Mercer?

Mercer is 6f 1. Nowhere near Lewis height. Could still outbox him. Need I point out that 80s Tyson is a far superior boxer than Mercer?
Sure. But mike had problems with taller fighters

Buster douglas showed this. And tony tucker frustrated mike the entire fight despte Mike winning.

Buster douglas showed this. And tony tucker frustrated mike the entire fight despte Mike winning.

Tyson was out of shape for the Douglas fight. It was the first one he did not seriously prepare for and he got punished against a determined fighter.

As for the decision wins peak Tyson had...They were all won comfortably. He was never in any danger in the ring or on the scorecards.

Also, every guy Tyson faced was a tall(er) fighter. He was in the HW divison..

Prime Lewis was hard to beat after he worked with Steward and bulked up. When he was a chessmaster fighting behind a jab it's hard to see him losing. Tyson of course had that speed and power that could have ended the fight at any moment.

The BoneClutcher fight wasn't a great performance either.

It's just speculation. In my opinion, Lewis didn't really peak until he got on in years. Tyson was the better of the two in their early 20s.

Mature Lewis against young Tyson is harder to answer. Peak Tyson never fought anyone of that caliber, which is a shame. It would also depend on how much the referee would allow Lewis to hold him (which is illegal).

Timestamped, and the look he gave this idiotic guy who was trying to bait Iron Mike was one scary look from Tyson!

People actually believe Mike Tyson was past prime when he lost to Buster and even more past prime after Douglas even though he won the title and the only reason why Mike lost to Douglas and Evander and Lennox, is they have the styles to beat him easily and that's the truth and Ali would've done the same to Mike, because Mike wasn't as busy as Joe Frazier was and Joe had quicker feet.
Mike would throw 3 punches and clinch and then throw 4 punches and clinch and hold and rest and if he couldn't knock you out or hurt you he would make mistakes and get caught and knocked out.

Back