***The Official Sanctioned Vasyl Lomachenko vs Jose Pedraza RBR Thread 12/8 ESPN 9PM EST***

Who Wins?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Like I said, look at what a "lesser" fighter did to Pedraza in his other loss.
People just think Lomachenko is better than he is. His speed tends to hide his flaws, IMO.

It isn't a matter of lesser or greater fighter but a matter of style matchups. By your reasoning gervonta davis would take lomachenko's p4p slot simply because he beat pedraza in more spectacular fashion.

It isn't a matter of lesser or greater fighter but a matter of style matchups. By your reasoning gervonta davis would take lomachenko's p4p slot simply because he beat pedraza in more spectacular fashion.
Meh, I don't agree with that. Davis did better with their common opponent but Davis has been moved slowly. I believe Mikey Garcia has a better resume than Lomachenko, though.

How would Floyd have lost to Manny? Floyd schooled a guy in one sided fashion who fought 3 razor close fights with and knocked the shit out of Pacquiao.
I don't see a way to compare fighters if common opposition doesn't count.
because you're assuming that superior results from Tank against Pedraza means more than it does. It's similar to how Manny beat Hatton, DLH and Cotto in a more impressive fashion than Floyd, but he still lost to Floyd.

because you're assuming that superior results from Tank against Pedraza means more than it does. It's similar to how Manny beat Hatton, DLH and Cotto in a more impressive fashion than Floyd, but he still lost to Floyd.

A lot of people DID assume Pac would beat Floyd.

A lot of people DID assume Pac would beat Floyd.
And that's obviously his whole point, e.g. that those assumptions were wrong back then and similar assumptions could be made about Lomachenko/Davis from the Pedraza performances, which would also be wrong.

And that's obviously his whole point, e.g. that those assumptions were wrong back then and similar assumptions could be made about Lomachenko/Davis from the Pedraza performances, which would also be wrong.
Nah, thats a poor example. Look at what floyd did to Marquez. Thats what made it interesting, they were pretty even on paper.

And lets not pretend the Oscar Pac fought was even 25%.

I dont know how anyone watches Loma and is anything but impressed. He is remarkable.

I dont know how anyone watches Loma and is anything but impressed. He is remarkable.
Like most popular fighters, its the bandwagon effect that comes from Top Rank with their in house fighters who never face an opponent who could beat them.

He is impressive. He's just not so flawless as people like to pretend he is. He's one of those fighters that fans like to think only gets hit when he allows the opponent to do so. People like to pretend he's the previously unseen level of talent. He's not. He's a fast guy with workrate and good punch selection. Nothing wrong with that, its just not really anything new. As he's stepping up the competition, you can see talent gap get smaller.

Honestly, he fought on pretty even terms with Pedraza for 10 rounds, a guy people thought shouldn't make it halfway. He's already been beaten by a journeyman that every other decent name beat as well.

I think Loma is good because of his technique above else, than his physical gifts.
His father built him to center his whole game around his footwork, going back and forward constantly, with sudden change of rhythms and angles.
It's like he took the Eastern Europe fighting style and made it as complex and effective as it can get.

Loma has the best and fastest feet in the game, but his other physical talents aren't of the same caliber.
Pacman is two times more physically gifted than the guy.

Like most popular fighters, its the bandwagon effect that comes from Top Rank with their in house fighters who never face an opponent who could beat them.

He is impressive. He's just not so flawless as people like to pretend he is. He's one of those fighters that fans like to think only gets hit when he allows the opponent to do so. People like to pretend he's the previously unseen level of talent. He's not. He's a fast guy with workrate and good punch selection. Nothing wrong with that, its just not really anything new. As he's stepping up the competition, you can see talent gap get smaller.

Honestly, he fought on pretty even terms with Pedraza for 10 rounds, a guy people thought shouldn't make it halfway. He's already been beaten by a journeyman that every other decent name beat as well.
I love how people like you who want to criticise Lomachenko on his performance pay no attention at all to the fact that's he just comeback after a majory shoulder surgery and was clearly fighting with one good arm. You don't factor that into his performance at all. You didn't find it odd that he threw only 2 lead hooks in the whole 12 rounds??

I love how people like you who want to criticise Lomachenko on his performance pay no attention at all to the fact that's he just comeback after a majory shoulder surgery and was clearly fighting with one good arm. You don't factor that into his performance at all. You didn't find it odd that he threw only 2 lead hooks in the whole 12 rounds??
I'm not one who is big on making excuses for mediocre performances. Wilder claimed he had an injury too. He still looked sloppy and awkward against a guy people expected him to beat.

Its no ones fault that Lomachenko didn't dare to throw his right hook.

I'm not one who is big on making excuses for mediocre performances. Wilder claimed he had an injury too. He still looked sloppy and awkward against a guy people expected him to beat.

Its no ones fault that Lomachenko didn't dare to throw his right hook.

So you admit it but you don't give him any leeway for how it affected his performance. You just don't like to give him any credit at all, and if he underperforms then you don't take into account obvious things like him coming off a big shoulder surgery. And yeah Wilder was apparently injured but he wasn't fighting with an injury during that fight with Fury.

So you admit it but you don't give him any leeway for how it affected his performance. You just don't like to give him any credit at all, and if he underperforms then you don't take into account obvious things like him coming off a big shoulder surgery. And yeah Wilder was apparently injured but he wasn't fighting with an injury during that fight with Fury.
No. He should have pulled out of the fight if he was going to make excuses. He used the same injury to excuse to mediocre showings in a row.

See this is what I'm saying. You can't seem to fathom that maybe Lomachenko just had a tough fight. Maybe he's not really that much better than Pedraza. Maybe he's not so good against certain styles.

No. He should have pulled out of the fight if he was going to make excuses. He used the same injury to excuse to mediocre showings in a row.

See this is what I'm saying. You can't seem to fathom that maybe Lomachenko just had a tough fight. Maybe he's not really that much better than Pedraza. Maybe he's not so good against certain styles.
Are you denying that Lomachenko tore his labrum in the Linares fight?? There are videos of it showing when it happened in the fight, I think it was in round 2 if memory serves me correctly.

Yeah Loma had a tough fight with both Linares and Pedraza but he also had an injury that was evident in the way he fought where he beat them with only one arm. Have you got any possible reasons that he fought both of them using one arm other than he was affected by injury?

Are you denying that Lomachenko tore his labrum in the Linares fight?? There are videos of it showing when it happened in the fight, I think it was in round 2 if memory serves me correctly.

Yeah Loma had a tough fight with both Linares and Pedraza but he also had an injury that was evident in the way he fought where he beat them with only one arm. Have you got any possible reasons that he fought both of them using one arm other than he was affected by injury?
I don't care. Its classless and tacky to take away from your opponent by talking about an injury.

I don't care. Its classless and tacky to take away from your opponent by talking about an injury.
So basically what you are saying is that no you have no other explanation as to why Loma fought one armed. Has Loma claimed that an injury affected his performance? No he hasn't said anything about it. I'm the one saying he was clearly affected by it since he didn't throw his lead hook. Wilder is the only one who brought up an injury.

yeah, but he didn't.
But they thought so based on looking at certain common opponents. Difference being that they were sort of split on who and how they dominated.

But they thought so based on looking at certain common opponents. Difference being that they were sort of split on who and how they dominated.
right, so arguing that X fighter would beat Y fighter based on a common performance isn't necessarily indicative of how a fight between X and Y would go right? Particularly when they have such different styles.

Also, I'd say Pac was generally more dominant against common opponents than Floyd, with the obvious exception of JMM. Shane, DLH, Hatton, and Cotto all got pasted or beat up by Pac. Floyd didn't look anywhere near as dominant against htem.

right, so arguing that X fighter would beat Y fighter based on a common performance isn't necessarily indicative of how a fight between X and Y would go right? Particularly when they have such different styles.
I'm sort of shocked that we're arguing about whether or not you should compare performance against common opponents when looking at a potential matchup.

Back