***The Official Sanctioned Vasyl Lomachenko vs Jose Pedraza RBR Thread 12/8 ESPN 9PM EST***

Who Wins?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Much close match in my opinion than the scorecards show. Good showing from Pedraza and he showed a ton of heart, i would say his stock went up even he lost the fight.
It was pretty even before 7th round but after that i think that is the time when Lomachenko took over.

Never been more convinced that Mikey brings this guy back to earth.

That 11th round showed Lomachenko's biggest weakness. He was teeing off on Padraza for like a minute until he could get him down.

He's a great skilled fighter but he lacks the size and power to keep moving up like Floyd and MAnny.

you shouldn't be bragging about taking somebodies best shots though. We all know Davis can punch and has a chin. The question is can he find Loma? The Pedraza win was good, but after that, hwo is there? Cuellar had no business in the ring with him.
I'm more making the point that people make Lomachenko out to be a lot more perfect than he really is. He's less dominant vs guys than his peers. I think his speed is pretty good, excellent athleticism but I just don't think he's as technically complete as people say he is. He seems to have a hard time adjusting.

Quite a dissapointing showing from Lomachenko. Clearly though his right shoulder has caused him problems, he barely threw a right hook all night long. And he wasn't stepping around to his right to get on the outside like he normally does and I think that was because he would need to throw with his right hand if he did. Loma was pretty weak with his jab as well. This was Loma fighting with just 50% of his usual arsenal. This gives me big doubts for the future unless he can find his right hand again. He won the fight clearly and the 11th round was excellent but it was still a much closer fight than it should or would have been if he'd had his right hand operating at 100%.

I think people are going a bit overboard in here about how ordinary Lomachenko looked. You do realise he was fighting essentially one-handed? He threw about 2 right hooks the whole fight and his jab was weak. Plus he didn't do his signature step outside to his right move nearly all night. Clearly he's either saving his right shoulder or it's still giving him problems.

lomachenko obviously didn't look as good as we expected him to, but this was his first fight back from surgery. maybe they rushed it, maybe they had issues in training, maybe he was hesitant and didn't want to injure it again, maybe he was rusty, maybe pedraza was just not a good fit for him.

to be fair, maybe he's completely shot now.

the thing i noticed most in this fight is just how undersized he is at 135. i wouldn't call pedraza a physical specimen, but it seemed to me that he dwarfed lomachenko at times. he was a lot bigger. loma just doesn't have the frame to keep moving up, and 135 is already pushing it. i think if he doesn't get big paychecks at 135, he should move back down to 130. he's taking more punishment than he should be at this weight, and it will cost him years off of his career.

to be fair, maybe he's completely shot now.

????????????

the thing i noticed most in this fight is just how undersized he is at 135. i wouldn't call pedraza a physical specimen, but it seemed to me that he dwarfed lomachenko at times. he was a lot bigger. loma just doesn't have the frame to keep moving up, and 135 is already pushing it. i think if he doesn't get big paychecks at 135, he should move back down to 130. he's taking more punishment than he should be at this weight, and it will cost him years off of his career.

Linares did very little damage to him, Pedraza did virtually no damage. I have no idea what you're talking about.

Brook looked average yesterday, Loma did not. He beat the shot out of someone who is naturslly a weight class or two higher

????????????
well, i was speculating about all the issues he might've had, it's not entirely impossible that the injury took his magic out of him for good. i don't think so, but it is possible.

Linares did very little damage to him, Pedraza did virtually no damage. I have no idea what you're talking about.
linares put him on his butt, and pedraza bothered him a lot more than he should have. not saying lomachenko was in serious trouble at any point, but he was getting hit more than he should've been, and he was losing rounds. remember who he was fighting, and what we expected of him. he should've finished pedraza, and we all expected him to do it early.

you have no idea what i'm talking about when i'm saying he's undersized for the weight class? did you see the two of them standing next to each other in the ring?

Depends on what Mikey comes back from the beating he is about to receive .

I think people are going a bit overboard in here about how ordinary Lomachenko looked. You do realise he was fighting essentially one-handed? He threw about 2 right hooks the whole fight and his jab was weak. Plus he didn't do his signature step outside to his right move nearly all night. Clearly he's either saving his right shoulder or it's still giving him problems.
Don't make excuses for a fighter, ever. If a guy isn't ready to go, then he should pull out due to injury. If he shows up then the expectation is he's 100%, if he's not and gets beat or looks bad there's no excuses, it's his fault.

Brook looked average yesterday, Loma did not. He beat the shot out of someone who is naturslly a weight class or two higher

Eh, Pedraza is taller, but he's not big for LW or that much bigger than Lomachenko. Lomachenko looked fine, but relative to expectations, he didn't really impress.

I'm more making the point that people make Lomachenko out to be a lot more perfect than he really is. He's less dominant vs guys than his peers. I think his speed is pretty good, excellent athleticism but I just don't think he's as technically complete as people say he is. He seems to have a hard time adjusting.

Pedraza was a very awkward opponent for Loma. he was making himself a hard target, constantly switching stances and constantly changing his approach. It is hard to 'adjust' to a fighter doing that. It made pedraza's punches weaker as he wasnt giving himself time to sit down on his punches properly...but it made him a hard target for Loma.

As another poster stated he doesnt pack the power to move up in weight- but he has never been about having a big punch- his skills lay in his movement and technical ability.

It was like a game of chess.

Pedraza was a very awkward opponent for Loma. he was making himself a hard target, constantly switching stances and constantly changing his approach. It is hard to 'adjust' to a fighter doing that. It made pedraza's punches weaker as he wasnt giving himself time to sit down on his punches properly...but it made him a hard target for Loma.

As another poster stated he doesnt pack the power to move up in weight- but he has never been about having a big punch- his skills lay in his movement and technical ability.

It was like a game of chess.
Like I said, look at what a "lesser" fighter did to Pedraza in his other loss.
People just think Lomachenko is better than he is. His speed tends to hide his flaws, IMO.

Well, you have one point to compare him to Tank with, and again, Tank fights differently from Loma. We all know that comparisons like that don't work, or Floyd would have lost to Manny.

I agree his inside game has some questions to it. Otherwise, I think he's technically excellent, and I'm not sure I'd agree he's not good at adjusting, the Salido fight excepted. He adjusted well to Walters and Pedraza. He only got more dominant in those fights as those fights went on. Even with Linares, as he was losing a few late rounds, he came back and placed his shots well.

Well, you have one point to compare him to Tank with, and again, Tank fights differently from Loma. We all know that comparisons like that don't work, or Floyd would have lost to Manny.

I agree his inside game has some questions to it. Otherwise, I think he's technically excellent, and I'm not sure I'd agree he's not good at adjusting, the Salido fight excepted. He adjusted well to Walters and Pedraza. He only got more dominant in those fights as those fights went on. Even with Linares, as he was losing a few late rounds, he came back and placed his shots well.
How would Floyd have lost to Manny? Floyd schooled a guy in one sided fashion who fought 3 razor close fights with and knocked the shit out of Pacquiao.
I don't see a way to compare fighters if common opposition doesn't count.

Back