***The Official SANCTIONED Sergey Kovalev vs Eleider Alvarez RBR Thread 8/4 10:00PM HBO***

Who Wins?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
I love me some boxing!!

See you suckas next weekend

Haha of course without viable excuses like an early stoppage or low blows Kov wants nothing to do with a post-fight interview.
Fucking baby.

Damn. Found a home for that right hand and it was the beginning of the end. Kovalev needs to retire after this one. Anyway, props to Alvarez. Well deserved.

And how the fuck is Roy Jones Junior saying Kov is "done at 35" when Roy has 4 fights scheduled for tomorrow and will get knocked out in every single one of them and set up more fights for next weekend.

Haha of course without viable excuses like an early stoppage or low blows Kov wants nothing to do with a post-fight interview.
Fucking baby.
To be fair, it's in pretty poor taste to interview a guy after getting his brain scrambled the way Kovalev did tonight.

And how the fuck is Roy Jones Junior saying Kov is "done at 35" when Roy has 4 fights scheduled for tomorrow and will get knocked out in every single one of them and set up more fights for next weekend.

Lol,.i thought this also, but then also remembered that RJJ did more at like 20 than love before 35, and had more talent in his pinky that kova does in his entity. But yes, RUN is super sad at this point.

If I am not wrong, Roy still did a few PPV at that age. Calazage, Toto, and Hopkins 2

I guess this fight goes to show that you don't have to hit harder, you just need to take the punch better.

Some people might be the next morning coach and say that Kovalev was shot since the Ward fight. I think that is wrong. Dead wrong. In fact, it's a supericial oversimplification often attributed to an undefeated fighter after their first loss. I think he was well on his way to a pretty awesome comeback story. But not all stories have happy endings. Thing is, the comeback trail always seems like a more narrow version of the path you first walked years before. Less can go wrong, or rather, you have to make fewer mistakes. You're almost buying on the margin with your future.

I was calling this out to my brothers as the rounds unfolded. I watched Kovalev take small short cuts with his mental game. It showed in how he feinted less with his lefts and rights, showing one to land the other. This was so intregral to the destructive puncher that built a career off of his spearing lefts and harpooning rights. He also got a bit lazy with his feet. He stuck around to long. Kovalev has the feet that cover ground quickly. He really fights like a fencer. Perhaps I should say that fencers fight best as a fencer. He stuck around too long at range, feinted less, and rushed things. I don't know why, but he did. When you fight with your hands down, you better have the feet to position you out of danger. He hung around to rush things. Coming off two KO's, I can see why.

But you can't take shortcuts on the comeback trail. It winds and curves and is never as pleasant, even if it feels like you kinda sorta walked something like it before. It's a test of one's patience and wisdom, if nothing else.

Kovalev wasn't patient, and instead of spending well earned wisdom, he could never be the "Krusher"; he became the "Komplacent."

I expected Alvarez to win on his boxing, maybe slow Kovalev down with body punching but I did not see a KO like that coming. Nobody did really and least of all Kovalev.
I thought in 4-6 Kovalev had taken over but did look to be slowing a little after not putting Alvarez away in 4.

What's the odds Stevenson-Kovalev gets made now?

I thought it was going to be 116-111 Kovalev a struggle but then a knockdown after 6 I thought it was going to be 115-113 alvarez (guessing the final rounds) but kovalev getting the nod. I've seen alvarezx land the same punch vs bute, when bute was having success. so i wasnt THAT surprised but when I saw kovalev sit I was thinking, this shit is over, he might not get up, the ref did a poor job wasting time... for kovalev..

To be fair, it's in pretty poor taste to interview a guy after getting his brain scrambled the way Kovalev did tonight.

I consider it part of the game. Anyone who can walk out of the ring on their own and complain in the locker room owes the fans a post-fight interview, period. It's poor sportsmanship to storm off like an asshole plain and simple. It pissed me off when fighters I really liked did it and it pisses me off when fighters I don't like do it. What kind of example does that set for young boxers and fans? You should take your loss and give the people watching your take on what happened.

Kovalev didn't stick around for the post fight interview or the press conference. Must be a little harder to come up with excuses when you're stopped so dramatically

Back