***The Official SANCTIONED Errol Spence vs Carlos Ocampo RBR Thread 9PM ET Showtime 6/16/2018***

Who Wins? (Choose one for each bout)

• Spence

Votes: 14 100.0%
  • Ocampo

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Roman

Votes: 9 64.3%
  • Flores

Votes: 3 21.4%
  • Fortuna

Votes: 5 35.7%
  • Granados

Votes: 6 42.9%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Agreed.

Any opinion on how France looked earlier (now yesterday)? I didn't see a cohesive team, really, but the team has a ton of different options. I also thought Croatia looked poor, regardless of the score.

First game of the tournament and the Aussies aren’t a push over in any sport. I wouldn’t read too much in to the score or performance. They’ll grow in to the World Cup
Man for man they are probably as good if not better than any team, but the French have always been erratic so you just don’t know what you’ll get. I still fancy then to win the tournament as there are no outstanding teams this year

Ha ! I'm familiar with Zidane nostalgia. I think it goes even deeper : it's about a country's football identity. Quality French teams don't always need a world class 9, but they always have a great 10. That's the DNA. As well as Italy needs great CBs and Germany needs great 8s. Kopa in 1958 (even if Fontaine was a monster 9), Platini in 82, 84 and 86, Zidane in 98, 00 and 06, Griezmann in 16. France isn't about he who scores the goals, but he who dishes the ball with flair.

The teams who lacked a great 10 all failed. As long as Deschamps sticks to some 433 then Griezmann or Fekir won't play as actual 10s, which isn't our style. If he wins it with no 10 I'll be glad to celebrate, but I don't buy it. That being said, all romantic bullshit put aside, I believe the mental thing is the main issue for 2018.

You know French football far better than I do, but I can see the trend. It is hard to even imagine how the current French team could have a coherent identity. Fekir is likely the only real 10 who could really make a difference, but I don't think that's Deschamps's vision. I think we are bound to see the same front 3 of Griezemann, Mbappe, and Dembele with no real plan to supply them the ball.

If only De Bruyne was born in France. Zidane was always hot and cold, but De Bruyne seems like a more consistent version of him in some respects (granted, without the completely dominant games that Zidane would randomly have).

First game of the tournament and the Aussies aren’t a push over in any sport. I wouldn’t read too much in to the score or performance. They’ll grow in to the World Cup
Man for man they are probably as good if not better than any team, but the French have always been erratic so you just don’t know what you’ll get. I still fancy then to win the tournament as there are no outstanding teams this year

Man for man never really matters in football, and squads rarely mature week by week.

You know French football far better than I do, but I can see the trend. It is hard to even imagine how the current French team could have a coherent identity. Fekir is likely the only real 10 who could really make a difference, but I don't think that's Deschamps's vision. I think we are bound to see the same front 3 of Griezemann, Mbappe, and Dembele with no real plan to supply them the ball.

If only De Bruyne was born in France. Zidane was always hot and cold, but De Bruyne seems like a more consistent version of him in some respects (granted, without the completely dominant games that Zidane would randomly have).

The last step for DeBruyne is to prove himself in the biggest games of all. We'll see. Belgium is a wildcard. Maybe they've been told they were bound to succeed as a golden generation for too long.

Zidane's taking over a game was quite something. Brazil 98 and 06, the crazy goal in the 02 CL final, and a sick Liga game against Valencia come to mind. Hot and cold, as you said. Sometimes a bit too hot too. As French as a player could ever be.

The Valencia game. These guys were tons of fun. Lol @ the Spanish reporter calling Zidane "Harry Potter".

Last edited:
The last step for DeBruyne is to prove himself in the biggest games of all. We'll see. Belgium is a wildcard. Maybe they've been told they were bound to succeed as a golden generation for too long.

Zidane's taking over a game was quite something. Brazil 98 and 06, the crazy goal in the 02 CL final, and a sick Liga game against Valencia come to mind. Hot and cold, as you said. Sometimes a bit too hot too. As French as a player could ever be.

I have a 50-1 bet for Belgium/Spain as the final which I parlayed with a bunch of CFL (Canadian Football League) games. It's around 130/1 and not looking too bad (I hope to cash out of the bet after Belgium and Spain both advance). Belgium appears to be built quite well aside from the fact that they left out one of the best box-to-box mids in the world because the manager didn't get along with him. Leaving out Naingolan was insane. They don't have anything close to a replacement for Naingolan unless they shift formation. It's insane.

Anyway, I'm done for the night. Appreciate the insight a lot. You don't get analysis like you've offered in too many places. I'm reminded again why sherdog's boxing forum is actually a worthwhile place to post.

Man for man never really matters in football, and squads rarely mature week by week.

I do feel thats squads can mature a lot during a tournament though. Thats why i also think it can be quite important to not take the best player for his position, like Naingolan, if he is trouble for team spirit. (I dont know if thats really the case here.) For me, it is one of the reasons why my squad (im german) almost always does good, becasue they are a team - and you have to work for that.

In most cases it absolutely does in international and club football. Teams like Leicester winning the league, Porto winning the CL or Denmark winning the euros are exceptions to that rule and far from normal. You only have to look at the World Cup winners in modern times to see that every winner has been one of the few favoured teams, all with very good squads. Which team with an average squad of players have won the world cup? The only team I remember coming close was Germany in 2002

And plenty of teams start slowly and get better in the tournament. There’s examples of that every World Cup

Spain's roster is very deep and they know how to rise quietly, round after round. I'd still bet on Brazil for some basic reason : they're good, they usually win this thing every 4 WC or so, and they haven't won it lately. It's incredibly difficult to pull back to back WC victories and I guess Neuer's injury hurts Germany's confidence and leadership a bit. As for Spain, they'll be extremely tough to beat. The Lopetegui fiasco may get to them, but at the end of the day I can't see any other team beating Brazil this time around. On a side note, if Germany or Brazil finish second (I guess Germany is more likely to fumble) in their first round they'll face in round of 16, which would be something to behold.

Thats exactly how I see it too. And as you said earlier Schweinsteiger was our agressive leader in 2014. Im not sure if Germany has one right now. We also have a discussion about Özil and Gündogan going on, which does not help either. Good thing is .... were going to see in 4 hours :)

too short to see much unfortunately. Some nifty low blows though. I dont think the round showed enough to shit on Ocampo that much.

Thats exactly how I see it too. And as you said earlier Schweinsteiger was our agressive leader in 2014. Im not sure if Germany has one right now. We also have a discussion about Özil and Gündogan going on, which does not help either. Good thing is .... were going to see in 4 hours :)

On paper Germany is excellent, my main issue is indeed about leadership and grit, and there's also Neuer's shape and the insane difficulty to pull back-to-back wins to be taken into account.

Germany vs Mexico are always entertaining, I hope today's game delivers. :)

I have a 50-1 bet for Belgium/Spain as the final which I parlayed with a bunch of CFL (Canadian Football League) games. It's around 130/1 and not looking too bad (I hope to cash out of the bet after Belgium and Spain both advance). Belgium appears to be built quite well aside from the fact that they left out one of the best box-to-box mids in the world because the manager didn't get along with him. Leaving out Naingolan was insane. They don't have anything close to a replacement for Naingolan unless they shift formation. It's insane.

That's a bit of a Benzema case right here, only worse : Nainggolan is one hell of a player and as you said they don't have a proper sub.

My take is that such moves can look incredibly bold (or insane) on paper and work nonetheless. In 98 lots of observers called Jaquet insane for leaving Cantona out of the group. Turns out he was right - and Jacquet's influence over Deschamps explains how he didn't hesitate to discard Benzema.

There's only one way to find out if Belgium coach's got it right : wait for the semis.

On paper Germany is excellent, my main issue is indeed about leadership and grit, and there's also Neuer's shape and the insane difficulty to pull back-to-back wins to be taken into account.

Germany vs Mexico are always entertaining, I hope today's game delivers. :)

Im not sure if Özil is able to perform, a lot of stress, maybe booing own fans, gonna be tough. I have high hopes for Draxler and Reus (if hes allowed to play). To pick Neuer as no.1 is a balsy move, especially when you have a ter stegen, who played good the whole season. And Mexico is not a pushover.

Im not sure if Özil is able to perform, a lot of stress, maybe booing own fans, gonna be tough. I have high hopes for Draxler and Reus (if hes allowed to play). To pick Neuer as no.1 is a balsy move, especially when you have a ter stegen, who played good the whole season. And Mexico is not a pushover.

Yeah, Mexico always goes balls to the wall against Germany, they don't get the stage fright many European teams got against such a juggernaut, and their speed and agility usually give Germany's trouble until they figure them out.

Last edited:

Most in England are very surprised that sane was omitted. I know that he’s not really done it for the German team yet but he’s had an incredible season at city. You’ll be there or there abouts as always no doubt though

Most in England are very surprised that sane was omitted. I know that he’s not really done it for the German team yet but he’s had an incredible season at city. You’ll be there or there abouts as always no doubt though

Yeah, that's a very similar gamble as Nainggolan or Benzema. Sané is young and skilled, at least he can play one or two other WCs.

I would have taken Sané too, but he did not play well for the German team so far. I my opinion someone you can throw in in the 68th minute and try to get back in a game youre behind. Thats the biggest problem I have with Löw, if things go bad it feels as there is no reaction at all.

Spence is a bad, bad man.

I keep getting attacked online for bringing up Spence gyno nipples but I cant help it. I'm a big fan of his but I refuse to ignore it just because I like him. This is a good example of one fighter being on peds against a fighter who is not and that doesn't sit right with me. Spence would of beaten him either way but I have to call this bs out.

Back