The Official Recipe Thread:

Kung Pao Chicken

* 1/4 cup water
* 1/2 tsp. salt
* 1 egg, use half
* 1/4 cup cornstarch
* 2 Tbs. vegetable oil
* 1 lb. uncooked chicken breast, diced into 1/2 inch pieces, rinsed and drained (beef, shrimp or scallops can be substituted)
* 2-1/2 Tbs. vegetable oil, divided use
* 12 whole dried hot chili peppers, (should be smaller than 3 inch; if longer, cut in half)
* 1 tsp. cooking wine
* 2-1/2 Tbs.Soy Sauce
* 1/3 cup water
* 1-1/2 tsp. water, mixed with cornstarch
* 1-1/2 tsp. cornstarch
* 1/2 half cup of green onions. Some people prefer just the white ends but I use the whole damn stalk
* 1 medium to large zucchini sqauash diced or however you prefer to cut them up
* 1 tsp. ground ginger
* 1 tsp. ground garlic
* 1 tsp. crushed red chili peppers
* 1 tsp. sesame oil (optional)
* 2 ounces dry roasted peanuts

1. Mix first 4 ingredients well, to make marinade. Add the chicken and thoroughly coat, refrigerate at least one hour.

2. Combine wine, soy sauce and water and set aside.

3. Heat a clean wok on high heat for 10 seconds. Add vegetable oil and heat well.

4. Add the marinated chicken to the wok. Stir quickly, separate the meat and cook until white in the middle

5. Add the chili peppers to the wok. Stir fry until they become a darker color. If the wok becomes too dry, add 1-1/2 tsp. vegetable oil.

6. Add the green onions, zucchini, ginger, garlic and crushed red chili pepper to the wok. Stir for 5 seconds.

7. Return the cooked and drained chicken to the wok; stir soy sauce/wine mixture and add to wok; stir until sauce boils, then add cornstarch mix to thicken.

8. Add the sesame oil and peanuts. Stir and fold until the ingredients are thoroughly mixed.

Per serving: calories 540, fat 30.2g, 49% calories from fat, cholesterol 143mg, protein 43.3g, carbohydrates 26.1g, fiber 3.6g, sugar 7.7g, sodium 769mg.

Kidey beans,blackeyed peas or any other type you like
sweetcorn
cucumber
tomatoes
bell peppers
spring onion
onion
celery
lemon juice
salt
pepper
olive oil
garlic clove crushed if you like garlic
any herbs you like

tuna if you wamt to add some extra protein

Tzatziki (Greek Yogurt Dressing)

Take a bunch of nearly 0 calorie stuff, and turn gross plain yogurt into something delicious.

32 oz of plain yogurt (Greek-style or regular)
2 Medium sized cucumbers- remove peel and seeds, dice (about 3mm ^ 3)
1/4 teaspoon of white pepper (if using black pepper use 1/8 teaspoon)
1.5 teaspoon salt
1.5 teaspoon sugar (its going in 32 oz of yogurt it won't kill you)
2 tablespoons of dill weed (its in the spice aisle)
2 cloves of garlic finely diced or crushed
The juice of one lemon
Throw everything except the yogurt in a bowl and mix it up. Ignore it for a few minutes. Then mix in the yogurt. Put in fridge for at least 5 minutes before eating or risk seperation.

Eat it straight.
Put it on a gyro or wrap.
Try it with BBQ.

crustless "apple pie"

1 granny smith apple
1 tbsp unsalted butter
1 tbsp brown sugar
1 tbsp splenda (optional if you think apple is sweet enough)
2 tsp cinnamon

1/4 cup of your favorite granola
2 tbsp light whipped cream

peel and core apple
put apple in baking dish
mix cinnamon, brown sugar, splenda in bowl
sprinkle on apple
put butter on apple
bake for an hour

when the apple is done, drain melted butter off of apple
use whipped cream as "ice cream" and granola as "crust"

crustless "apple pie"

1 granny smith apple
1 tbsp unsalted butter
1 tbsp brown sugar
1 tbsp splenda (optional if you think apple is sweet enough)
2 tsp cinnamon

1/4 cup of your favorite granola
2 tbsp light whipped cream

peel and core apple
put apple in baking dish
mix cinnamon, brown sugar, splenda in bowl
sprinkle on apple
put butter on apple
bake for an hour

when the apple is done, drain melted butter off of apple
use whipped cream as "ice cream" and granola as "crust"

I see this all the time with recipes. Bake for 1 hour, or back for 45 minutes, etc. without any temperature guidelines.

Just made this, and it fucking rules.

Spinach, Asparagus, Mushroom Frittata:

1/2 cup mushrooms
1/2 cup asparagus
1 cup spinach
1 large clove of garlic
1 table spoon of olive oil
2 table spoons of Asiago cheese
5 eggs
salt and pepper.

Sautee your veggies in olive oil, starting first with mushrooms, then asparagus, and finally spinach. If you put all the veggies in at once, they won't brown up very nicely(not that asparagus or spinach will, but the mushrooms are expected to). When the veggies are done, throw in your minced clove of garlic, and sautee until fragrant. Pour in your whisked eggs. Stir with your spoon over medium-low heat for about 5 minutes.

When the eggs are about 3/4 way cooked, toss your cheese on top, and put the pan in the oven at 325 F for about 2-3 minutes.

I should mention that this recipe should be cooked in a non-stick pan, or at the very least, a well seasoned skillet.

Sorry for cross-posting this across 2 thread but this is an AWESOME recipe for Salmon.
I replied to the other thread before noticing this one.

First off - I am an excellent cook, with significant training as well as a background in engineering and nutrition. I love to base my recipes on the scientific/metabolic why as well as the flavor.

So to start you off on your salmon recipe

Have handy -
1/2 tsp. turmeric
1/2 tsp. cayenne
pinch of cumin
1/2 tsp ginger paste or crushed fresh peeled ginger root. This is easiest to do in a coffee grinder or cuisinart if you use the fresh option.
pinch of salt
fresh ground black pepper
a crushed clove of garlic
very small amount of olive oil
lemon wedge
splash of coconut milk

Prep the fish - for either steaks or fillets you want to rinse the fish in cold water and pat it completely dry. Lightly score the skin side of the fish, making sure the scoring doesn't cut through more than the skin if you can manage it. A sharp knife helps a ton here.

Once the fish is scored and dry, mix the dry seasonings together and rub the mixture gently onto the fish. Try and get as the score marks filled with the seasoning mix. The skin side of the fish should look slightly striped with the cut marks filled with the darker seasoning mix. The flesh of the fish should be evenly seasoned as well. Set the fish aside at room temperature for the next few minutes while you prep the pan.

Heat a skillet large enough to cook the cut of fish one entire side at a time. I prefer a small cast iron pan I acquired from an unknown source a long time ago but any skillet works. *WIPE* the oil over the pan evenly. You don't need it to keep the already oily fish from sticking or for their to be any standing oil in the pan. A thin even coating of olive oil is enough.

Turn the stove onto medium heat ( 6 out of 10, or a about half way up for a gas burner ) and once the oil is hot set the fish skin side down in the pan. While the skin side cooks for 5-6 minutes spread the garlic and ginger onto the flesh side of the fish. If you are cooking a steak don't worry about which side is down. You still only need to spread the garlic and ginger onto the side that is face-up in the pan while the other side cooks. The times are also reasonably similar although a steak that is thicker than your average fillet may take 6-7 minutes.

Once the white fat layer beneath the skin starts to liquefy and the meat appears to be turning white through to the half way mark you can carefully flip the fish over. Don't be rough here or the garlic and ginger will smear onto your pan. You want as much of it to be under the fish now as possible. Turn the heat down slightly and let the fish cook the rest of the way through by watching the pinkness on the side of the cut. When it is just opaque all the way through when viewed from the edge the center will still be pink. Take the fish off of the pan but leave the oil and seasoning that is left behind on the burner. Pour in your splash of coconut milk and a squeeze of citrus of some sort. I prefer using about a tbsp. of pulpless orange juice but a lime, lemon or grapefruit works just as well. You don't need much. Using a wooden spoon scrape the seasoning and cooked garlic/ginger off the pan and let it simmer in the coconut milk / citrus for a minute or two.

Spoon the mixture onto the top of the fillet and enjoy.

A note on the seasonings chosen -

Turmeric - metabolic booster, assists in metabolizing protein. Contains curcumin which lowers cholesterol and is a powerful anti-oxidant.
CURRY POWDER: Turmeric

Cayenne - provides a short term metabolic boost. Raises median body temperature and an increase in circulation.
Spice Up Your Metabolism With Cayenne Pepper Fit Tip Daily

Ginger - reduces stomach acidity. Contains protein metabolizing enzymes. Stimulates circulation and reduces inflammation.
Healthy benefits of ginger - food that speed up metabolism and more | Health, fitness and beauty

Cumin - increases body temperature thus metabolism. Reduces inflammation, detoxifies the liver and stimulates appetite. Also a powerful anti-oxidant.
Medicinal Benefits of Cumin Seeds

The reason you wait to apply the garlic and ginger is because wet pastes are hard to apply to just one side of the fish during the seasoning process. This isn't important to their function.

The reason you don't marinate salmin is because it doesn't need it. Applying citrus early to a white fish is good - it firms the flesh up and reduces the cooking time required. Applying it early to a fatty fish like salmon only makes it dry out. You want the temperature of the pan to heat the natural fish oils and for that reaction to be what cooks the meat. Not the acid from the citrus. The only real reason for using it is that it tastes ridiculously good when used to create the 'sauce' at the end.

This recipe borrows heavily from curry flavors - so if you hate Indian / Thai food you might want to do something else.

Typically I pair this recipe with some blanched, sauteed broccoli rabe or kale florettes and a slice of crusty whole wheat bread. The whole wheat loaves that you finish in the over are perfect for this.

The links I reference aren't the best and I don't presume they are accurate. They are provided to give you a reason to read more on what / how your seasoning of food can affect your body as much as the main ingredients can.

1 lb. 99% lean ground beef.
1 large green bell pepper
1/2 cup low fat crumbled feta cheese
handful of fresh basil leaves
2 tbsp olive oil
1/2 a medium chopped red onion
fresh ground black pepper
1 crushed garlic clove or equivalent
salt

Cut the pepper into quarters, seed and brush a very thin even coating of olive oil onto the inside and outside of the pepper. Put the pepper in the oven on broil (low if you have it) on a glass casserole dish. The pepper will sweat out some liquids so make sure your cookware is appropriate. If you do not have a low broiler setting just crack the oven door and watch. You can also use a toaster oven for this.

Once the pepper has roasted and the edges are browning and the flesh is soft you can chop the pepper into a find dice. Accuracy isn't important but even consistency is.

Roll the basil leaves together lengthwise after stacking them. This lets you cut long strips of basil all at once. Leave them julienne. (long narrow slices of leaf)

Put the ground beef (bison is better) into a bowl and add the garlic, chopped roasted pepper, olive oil, basil and feta cheese. Don't salt this yet, as it reduces the moisture in the beef which is already quite lean for making burgers. To offset this we add a small amount of olive oil - I would rather use lean beef here and add a small amount of fat of my choosing to the meal rather than the beef fat from less lean patties.

Roll the mixture into 3 evenly shaped balls. Place the meat onto a hot griddle or narrowly spaced outdoor grill. One the balls are on the griddle, pan or grill THEN you flatten them with a spatula. Only press down once, while the burgers are on the heat. Do not squeeze them again. Do not press them down. Do not smash them thinner when you flip them. Cook until you get to the desired doneness. I typically take them off when the outside crisps and the melting feta starts to ooze through in places. About 7-8 minutes on a side. Salt to taste and remember - salt doesn't cook and unless you need the salt for a chemical reaction applying it after food is cooked is usually best.

Normally beef this lean makes weak burgers - but the moisture from the peppers, the low temp oil from the melting feta and the mid temp olive oil used in a small quantities replaces a good amount of the moisture lost. It works so well because at different levels of heat throughout the cooking a different source of moisture leaches into the meat. First the peppers steam, then the feta melts and adds some moisture and once the feta oils cook off then the olive oil gets hot and should just hit smoke point before you take the meat off of the grill.

Last edited:
Protein Pancakes

1/2 cup oats
1/3 cup milk
2 whole eggs, 2 whites
1 scoop protein powder, any flavor
2 packets stevia
a few dashes cinnamon
a few dashes nutmeg
1/2 tsp baking powder

Blend oats into oat flour in blender. Remove oats to clear the blades. Add 1/3 cup milk, the eggs, the protein powder, the oats and the rest and blend on high for 30 seconds. Pour mixture into medium high heat pan and cook in pancake fashion. When bubbles form in the top, flip, cook other side for 30 seconds. Makes about 3 good sized pancakes. Diced apple, blueberries, or banana can be added after blending for fruit pancakes.

Chicken and black bean chili

1 bag (6 breasts) chicken
1 large (26 oz) can black beans
1 small bag corn
1 jar salsa
2 packets white chili seasoning

Dice and stir fry chicken breasts while microwaving the corn for 3-4 minutes. Dump chicken and corn into a big chili pot, add beans and salsa. Add contents of 2 seasoning packets. Mix together well and bring to a boil. reduce to low heat and let simmer for 20 minutes, stirring often.

Does anyone have some low-carb chicken wing recipes? Preferably ones that dont use vegetable oil?

where the hell are people getting 99% lean ground beef ? cant find it anywhere

I got this recipe from food network a few years ago. I make it for office potlucks and fight parties at my house.
Ingredients
1 1/4 pounds boneless, skinless, chicken breasts (about 4 breasts)
1 (1-pound) package sliced bacon
2/3 cup firmly packed brown sugar
2 tablespoons chili powder
Directions
Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.

Cut chicken breasts into 1-inch cubes. Cut each bacon slice into thirds. Wrap each chicken cube with bacon and secure with a wooden pick. Stir together brown sugar and chili powder. Dredge wrapped chicken in mixture. Coat a rack and broiler pan with nonstick cooking spray. Place chicken wrap on rack in broiler pan. Bake 350 for 30 to 35 minutes or until bacon is crisp.

For those wanting to eat healthier, try with lean chicken and bacon.

For those wanting flavor. Once the wraps are done baking, pour remainding bacon and brown sugar grease directly over the wraps, when done! Bon apetit mutha f's!

Open-faced cheesy tuna and spinach sandwich:

I whipped this together today with what little groceries I had left in my house, and it was pretty good!

10oz frozen spinach
1 can of tuna
2 wedges of creamy swiss cheese (i used laughing cow cheese)
2 slices of bread

Thaw the spinach in 1/2 cup of boiling water, then drain. Add cheese and stir until evenly melted. Add tuna and stir. Toast bread and top with the goods.

Enjoy!

to the poster asking about lean ground beef -

If you can't find it and have some disposable income most of the mid-tier KitchenAid Stand Mixers have a meat grinder attachment that is quite affordable.

Between being able to choose what cuts you grind and eat and the fact that even cheap sirloin/chuck combo is cheaper when you grind it yourself, eventually the setup pays itself back.

I got a question for you experienced low carb chefs. Im trying to make my own version of the double down. Instead of using white flour can I use almond flour, or is almond flour strictly for baking and not frying? Does anyone have some experience with this?

I see a lot of people are eating chicken breats. what type are you guys getting? do you get the frozen stuff in a box? or the fresh chicken breasts? I have found that most of the chicken breasts that come in a box have a ton of sodium.

thanks!

Can of tuna, 1 boiled egg, half an avocado, put in 1 bowl, add some olive oil, salt pepper, mash togheter, delicious, loads of proteins and vitamins. If worried about calories, cut out the olive oil, avocados are pretty fat so they mix quite well.

scrambled eggs, when ready put a can of tuna in it, add some hot sauce and then fold it in half, let it rest for a few minutes, eat. Also loads of proteins and not that many calories for a full meal, you feel full for a long time aswell!

Last edited:
Back