The Official LOW-CARB Recipe Thread:

Ive wanted to deep fry a few things lately. What are the best oils to deep fry with on no carb? I dont know if it matters much on no carb but I still want to be healthy ya know?

Same as when you're eating carbs - whatever has the highest smoke point (sufficient to the cooking temp, I should say), neutral taste and affordable price tag. Rape seed/canola or clarified lard are what I fill my fryer with. I've heard groundnut is very good but it's quite expensive, and also fatal to my genetically-cursed kind.

Last edited:
Macadamia nut oil has become my absolute favorite for almost every purpose.

I looked up the smoke points of oils from a few different sources and both showed butter being much lower than the others. Does this mean it would be a good idea to not use butter? I thought it was ok, but want to make sure.

I looked up the smoke points of oils from a few different sources and both showed butter being much lower than the others. Does this mean it would be a good idea to not use butter? I thought it was ok, but want to make sure.

Every fat/oil has it's uses, some more than others. Unclarified butter is far from the best cooking oil, so no you wouldn't fry a steak or stir fry in it, though it's perfect for low-temp jobs like scrambled eggs. Ghee/clarified butter has a much higher smoke point and so is somewhat more useful (though I find the taste a bit cheesy, which may be just the brand I'm using).

Breakfast: Pan Fry hamburger (drain fat), add eggs, add salsa, stir until eggs are fully cooked

Two things.
1) Dont' drain the fat on the burger.
2) put a small amount of butter between the steak and the foil when it comes out of the oven. It's a restaurant trick, and anything to add more fat to a low carb diet. Comes out delicious.

The main reason I drain the fat is because it made the eggs very runny and wet the first time. I should probably just save the fat for later cooking I suppose.

Every fat/oil has it's uses, some more than others. Unclarified butter is far from the best cooking oil, so no you wouldn't fry a steak or stir fry in it, though it's perfect for low-temp jobs like scrambled eggs. Ghee/clarified butter has a much higher smoke point and so is somewhat more useful (though I find the taste a bit cheesy, which may be just the brand I'm using).

I'm considering purchasing some ghee myself, but this is a bit off-putting.

On a side note, my friend hooked me up with some black bear meat. I will be making some low-carb meatballs with it so I'll keep you all posted.

^
Bear meat? That sounds fucking awesome.

Something I've been making for breakfast lately:

Mexican Eggs
1/2 onion, chopped
1 scallion
6 jumbo eggs
Salsa
Hot sauce
Sour cream
Shredded cheese

Fry up the onions/scallions. Scramble the eggs. Add a layer of cheese. Pour on a little bit of salsa, sour cream and hot sauce. Stir. Season with pepper and cumin. Delicious.

Macadamia nut oil has become my absolute favorite for almost every purpose.

You finally gave it a try did you.

Here is where I bought mine last time. Do you have a better online source for the stuff?

Mac nut oil tastes awesome

I just got it from there. And yeah, at first my lady was skeptical about using it. Now she cooks almost everything in it herself.

Macadamia nut oil is amazing, does anyone else think it has quite a buttery taste to it?

Sugar Free Gummy Worms

3 envelopes unflavored gelatin
2 packages sugar-free jello, any flavors
1 cup boiling water
1 package Kool-Aid, any flavor (optional)

Combine all ingredients until dissolved.
Pour into an 8x8 pan, lightly sprayed.
Refrigerate until firm.
Cut into"worm-like" strips

***the koolaid makes them sour, leave it out if you only want them sweet.

Nutrition Facts
Serving Size 1 worms 93g

Recipe makes 20 worms)

Calories 6
Calories from Fat 0 (0%)
Amount Per Serving %DV
Total Fat 0.0g 0%
Saturated Fat 0.0g 0%
Monounsaturated Fat 0.0g
Polyunsaturated Fat 0.0g
Trans Fat 0.0g
Cholesterol 0mg 0%
Sodium 29mg 1%
Potassium 20mg 0%
Total Carbohydrate 0.3g 0%
Dietary Fiber 0.0g 0%
Sugars 0.0g
Protein 1.5g 2%

Sugar Free Gummy Worms - Low Carb Friends

for the peeps with the sweet tooth. havent tried them yet, but i may this weekend.

bought all the shit for the gummy worms today. gonna make it around lunch time. my meals meals for today are:

-breakfast: cheese

-lunch: gummy worms

-dinner: grilled chicken breast + coke zero

hahahaha. stayed at my dads for a week (live at home), came back to my moms and all our greens have turned into a smelly brown goop. gonna go pick up some bok choy and spring greens tomorrow.

bought all the shit for the gummy worms today. gonna make it around lunch time. my meals meals for today are:

-breakfast: cheese

-lunch: gummy worms

-dinner: grilled chicken breast + coke zero

hahahaha. stayed at my dads for a week (live at home), came back to my moms and all our greens have turned into a smelly brown goop. gonna go pick up some bok choy and spring greens tomorrow.

This is not an anorexia support board. Please start eating like a sensible adult.

haha i dont normally eat like that. i just started keto again yesterday and on my second day (today) i usually eat almost nothing, then i go back to normal meals from then on. feels good man.

Does anyone have a good substitute for condensed milk? I used a recipe online that included dehydrated milk, , water, butter and sweetener and it tasted great but I used it in a Key Lime Pie recipe and it turned out good as far as taste but the consistency was a lot rougher than using normal sweetened condensed milk, more like cheesecake than custard but not as good as cheesecake normally is.

Maybe there is a way to make it by reducing low carb milk or something but I haven't tried.

Does anyone have a good substitute for condensed milk? I used a recipe online that included dehydrated milk, , water, butter and sweetener and it tasted great but I used it in a Key Lime Pie recipe and it turned out good as far as taste but the consistency was a lot rougher than using normal sweetened condensed milk, more like cheesecake than custard but not as good as cheesecake normally is.

Maybe there is a way to make it by reducing low carb milk or something but I haven't tried.

i'm not 100% on the comparison between the two, but have you tried heavy whipping cream? it's what I use in my recipes

In Australia they are bringing out a low-carb flour made from sugar cane. I saw it on the news the other night.
It's not for sale yet, I sent away for a sample though. Hopefully it has the same texture as flour.

KFSU Dietary Fibre

Back