The Official Sherdog Rap/Gangsta/Hip-Hop Thread

Looks like you’re not the only one either in here who listens to pure crap rap.

Damn i didn't hear that 69s people shot at Keef in NY this morning. This shit really could get out of hand.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/nypost...eef-says-man-shot-at-him-outside-w-hotel/amp/
Chief Keef was the main rapper in the Drill era of rap music couple years back which was one of the most authentic peaks into what real street rap is. Listening to the music gave you a view of what was going on in Chicago with all the gang violence and crime and people really got killed because of song lyrics. Crazy shit. 6ix is not about that. He might have street people with him but these guys are all bought and are just riding with him until he falls off.

Looks like you’re not the only one either in here who listens to pure crap rap.
This nerd writes like one of those white kiddie youtube comments that talk only about how Eminem is the GOAT and Tupac is second even though theyve never listened to anyone other than Eminem and just mention Tupac so they could make their opinion more legitimate.

Hey dumfuck you live in UK you don’t shit about quality rap besides what you can find on the internet.. it’s really no surprise that all you listen to is commercial radio trash. It’s really sad that’s all you know is wannabe gangster trash music. Keep surfing the internet from the UK while I actually go to hip hop shows here In Los Angeles. You are the definition of a wannabe try hard.
Jesus the amount of cringe in this comment.

I guess I dont know hiphop because im not from the US.

This is UK rap's Illmatic. Dizzee wrote and produced this fucking classic when he was 17. Crazy. Released in 2003 yet still sounds as fresh as the day it came out.

Never really grouped Little Brother and The Roots in the same category but my awareness of their discog is pretty limited outside of The Minstrel Show

I did like Phonte's first collab album as The Foreign Exchange more tho
The Roots is an entirely different sound that Little Brother.

Just like Phonte's Foreign Exchange is completely different than Little Brother.

Chief Keef was the main rapper in the Drill era of rap music couple years back which was one of the most authentic peaks into what real street rap is. Listening to the music gave you a view of what was going on in Chicago with all the gang violence and crime and people really got killed because of song lyrics. Crazy shit. 6ix is not about that. He might have street people with him but these guys are all bought and are just riding with him until he falls off.

My dad is from the south side of Chicago. I know how it goes there, its no joke. Thankfully he got out in the late 70s and I didnt have to grow up there. I still have cousins that live there, its serious business up there.

This is UK rap's Illmatic. Dizzee wrote and produced this fucking classic when he was 17. Crazy. Released in 2003 yet still sounds as fresh as the day it came out.

@TribalDrumz needs to fix up look sharp.

Grime is an awesome subgenre of garage and hiphop.

Hell I really like Skepta and Asap Rocky's new track

Dizee Raskal is Grime MC.... UK has a shitty hip hop scene and mostly wannabe gangsters like jojo. Pretty sad that's all your exposed to..

Dizee Raskal is Grime MC.... UK has a shitty hip hop scene and mostly wannabe gangsters like jojo. Pretty sad that's all your exposed to..

We're on a hip hop subforum of a karate forum. We've long given up the right to even act gansgter but here you are being a keyboard warrior.
{<jordan}

Stop being tough and appreciate that other people have different tastes in music.

I love listening to my kanye just as much as I love listening to my MF DOOM.

I dont need to be from the US to appreciate its culture from movies to music and I dont need to know artists personally to vibe, relate and appreciate their music. This will be my last post to you, cause Im tired of this childish warrior act your putting on.

Never really grouped Little Brother and The Roots.

They don't sound the same, but they both have their sound that all of their songs sound like. It's pleasant, it's smooth, but doesn't really ever deviate. Makes everything blend together and nothing really stands out. It's kind of ironic that Scott Storch started with them and he can get such a varied sound.

I try to go back to old Roots albums now and then. When I listen to Things Fall Apart I'm usually tapping out on the second verse of Without a Doubt and just waiting for Double Trouble to start.

edit:
anyways, not enough P in this thread

Last edited:
Outkast is a fine answer to best rap discography but Stankonia, Aquemini, and ATLiens are the only albums of theirs that had wide range impact on the sound of music going forward. Maybe parts of Love Below too. I think College Dropout is Kanye's weakest studio album besides maybe Ye now but it still changed every trend in hip hop. We can all agree on the flawless production of Late Registration. Graduation was the blueprint for rap's transition into pop maximalism and MBDTF was the perfection of that sound. 808s spawned a thousand autotune copycats.

Love Yeezus or hate it the insular community Kanye curated to help produce it from Arca to HudMo to Evian Christ and Daft Punk created a sound that brought industrial, Chicago acid house, and minimalism back to prominence in hip hop. TLOP predicted the following years obsession with gospel rap and choir production. Essentially the argument for Kanye's discography is that it effortlessly set trends while still marking the high point of whatever pocket of pop music Kanye was experimenting with. If we are just talking about bars then you probably have to go with someone like Doom who has project after project of meticulously crafted rap. If we are talking about consciousness then maybe Tribe whose first three albums made rap humane.

I do hate the idea that if you love Kanye you are ignorant to the history of hip hop or don't like "real rap". Even if we concede that someone like Black Thought is making music that is more real than Kanye there can still be room for both, and objectively the latter is creating music that is able to transcend the limited parameters of "rap music". But then again it is stupid to say because Black Thought raps about social issues his music has inherently more worth than Kanye's. Kanye is exploring the id, ego, and the superego, black fame, faith, mental illness. Lots of heady things, and just because he explores them in a nature that isn't rigidly defined by BARS doesn't mean he isn't doing so in a fascinating way.

Yeezus is Daft Punk loaning Kanye a stack of old AFX tapes. Not foolin' anybody.

They don't sound the same, but they both have their sound that all of their songs sound like. It's pleasant, it's smooth, but doesn't really ever deviate. Makes everything blend together and nothing really stands out. It's kind of ironic that Scott Storch started with them and he can get such a varied sound.

I try to go back to old Roots albums now and then. When I listen to Things Fall Apart I'm usually tapping out on the second verse of Without a Doubt and just waiting for Double Trouble to start.

edit:
anyways, not enough P in this thread

Roots started out as a pretty rote avant-jazz rap collective but the full live band sound they eventually did curate is so good and far ahead of everything that's been done in rap I don't think they ever needed to "reinvent the wheel" (read; appropriate other well-tread styles of music) to continue to be successful artists. On the other hand, And Then You Shoot Your Cousin sounds like nothing else I've ever heard, even if I didn't like it much.

They enjoy messing around with gimmicky concept album stuff now, like Undun being in reverse.

Last edited:
Arca’s influence is way heavier on Yeezus than Daft Punk or Aphex Twin.

New Slaves is a remix of the keys on Goon Gumpas and the rattling spacey kick-drum on Corrugated Tubing.

Last edited:
Back