The Official Sherdog Rap/Gangsta/Hip-Hop Thread

Loved Pinata as an album.

Madlib is a goat.

Madlib is thee goat imo.

And yeah Pinata is the best Hip Hop album to come out in a long time. Gibbs' monotone flow let madlib control the melody of the songs. Really nice project.

DJ Jazzy Jeff's kid sounds a lot like Kdot. Jazz makes awesome soul beats. Makes me want him to do an entire Kendrick album.

I actually posted my pic in the mayberry before, Im black. If youre gonna come at me, atleast quote boy.

Thread is 100% garbage now though.

I just noticed this dork talking about good hiphop and has Playboi Carti's album as his AV. <{hfved}>
You black and still listen to trash lol, why would you even admit that shit? Embarrassing as fuck you cringe ass bitch.

You black and still listen to trash lol, why would you even admit that shit? Embarrassing as fuck you cringe ass bitch.

Do you hear yourself?

You bash me for listening to Uzi, Carti etc and you have a Carti album AV? You must be some self hating white boy.

Lol even your username is about some mediocre rapper.

Why should my colour dictate what I listen to? I listen to what I like and not what I think others would like, like you. Youre a pretentious fake guy. Stop talking tough on the net.

Do you hear yourself?

You bash me for listening to Uzi, Carti etc and you have a Carti album AV? You must be some self hating white boy.

Lol even your username is about some mediocre rapper.

Why should my colour dictate what I listen to? I listen to what I like and not what I think others would like, like you. Youre a pretentious fake guy. Stop talking tough on the net.

You listen to garbage... You're a wannabe Stunna just like that Dbag 21 savage who got banned. Ruining a thread with mumble trash.

You listen to garbage... You're a wannabe Stunna just like that Dbag 21 savage who got banned. Ruining a thread with mumble trash.

Quote a post where I posted anything trash, just quote me. I haven made a posting in this thread in forever. But youre a gatekeeping whiteboy, keep doing ya dorky shit bruh.

Oh 21savage got bant? Thread is on now.

That's cool if you wanna listen to that stuff but every time I came in here he was just flooding the thread with it making it kind of shitty.

Anywho......

Listenin to lead playin I ain't talkin Zeppelin

OoOoo.gif

regardless of your feelings about the lyrical content of this track, there is no denying that Marz & Mike Will Made It’s production is fucking nasty here

even as a cartoon, Knwxledge is the coolest motherfucker in rap

On my De La shit once again....

Remembering this time 30 years ago when I first heard De La Soul and how ahead of the curve they were. A lot of the looks kids are rocking today, Dave already did back then.

When they dropped their second album, people weren’t prepared for the style switch. People were still in full D.A.I.S.Y. mode, and quickly dismissed it. Looking back, this album is their “Paul’s Boutique“ to me. “Millie” went someplace dark, and people didn’t know how to react back then. Today, this song wouldn’t make people bat an eye. Which is a pretty sad commentary.

Buhloone Mindstate is an album I thought kind of fell through the cracks for its time. There was just so much going on then, and by that time Tribe had elevated their status as the stars of the Native Tongues Crew. Breakadawn was a clear stand out for me along with Ego Trippin and In The Woods.

Stakes Is High was a good album in a time where everyone was about that gangsta/playa life 1996. To me, this album is the answer to what would De La sound like when they fully matured? The title track was a perfect commentary on where hip hop was at that point, and where it remains still....

The early 2000’s bought the concept of a trilogy of albums under the Art Official Intelligence name with Mosaic Thump being the first. “Ooh” got them a Grammy nomination, and folks liked “All Good”, because Chaka Kahn was on it, but my favorite of the album was “My Writes”.....

AOI : Bionix was De La Souls worst charting album and I’m not sure why. It had some solid tracks and personally one of my favorite songs from them ever with Cee Lo. Pos’s verse about finding religion is razor sharp to this day...

The selling of Tommy Boy records scrapped the AOI effort and fans got The Grind Date in 2004 instead. It’s not a bad album per say, but nothing really stands out either. Their joint with MF Doom was the highlight for me...

After 2004, De La went on a hiatus of sorts. There was a single here and their (listen to “Get Away”), and they actually won a Grammy on a collaborative effort with the Gorillaz. Pos and Dave also did a side gig under the moniker First Serve with a couple French DJs which flew under the radar. Fans got to wondering if they were ever gonna hear another DeLa Soul album again after all the bull shit with Warner Brothers records and its refusal to negotiate sample clearances for streaming formats. Well, De La said fuck it, gave away their first six albums for free digitally, and decided to just crowd fund an entire record on their own. They asked for $110k, but the fans gave them a little over $600k instead. The result was the out of no where Grammy nominated “and The Anonymous Nobody” in 2016.

That’s all. I have no doubt that they will have similar success in funding new efforts down the road. Hopefully Warner Brothers gets their shot together and pits out their entire catalog digitally.

The Grind Date is their best album. “No” is a great song.

Back