The Official Fifa World Cup thread v6: Last Minute Winner Edition

Who advances to the knockouts?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Got a kick out of this near the end. Glad someone recorded it.

Edit: Also, dat pass:

Red card:

EtSzggD.gif

Messi is frustrated and hungry – Mascherano
resize

Argentina midfielder Javier Mascherano said Lionel Messi was frustrated but eager to respond at Russia 2018.

Lionel Messi is frustrated and desperate to turn Argentina's World Cup around, according to Javier Mascherano.

Jorge Sampaoli's men are facing a group-stage exit in Russia after collecting just one point from their opening two games.

Messi, 31, is yet to score or provide an assist at the showpiece event, while he had a penalty saved during a 1-1 draw with Iceland.

Mascherano, whose team must beat Nigeria on Tuesday to have any chance of reaching the last 16, said the star forward was only human.

"Leo is fine," he told a news conference.

"But as a collective, where things don't go as we'd like, we all have our own frustrations.

"He's human and he has his own frustrations but he's desperate to turn the situation around.

"He wants to show the world a different image to the one we've shown in the first two games."

Even a win may not be enough for Argentina, who are bottom of the group – behind Croatia (six points), Nigeria (three) and Iceland (one).

<Cage33>

Pogba reveals 'issues' with Mourinho
resize

Paul Pogba endured a frustrating season with Manchester United, but believes he has come out the other side stronger.

Manchester United midfielder Paul Pogba has admitted to having "some small issues" with Jose Mourinho during the 2017-18 season.

The France international, who has started both of his country's games at the World Cup, endured a difficult season at Old Trafford, with Mourinho naming him as a substitute on a number of occasions towards the end of the campaign.

Rumours of a rift between himself and Mourinho were a constant presence for the final few months of the season and now Pogba has confirmed that they did not always see eye-to-eye.

However, he was quick to brush them off as nothing major and believes his difficulties will stand him in good stead for the rest of his career.

"This year was a better season than last year as I was more decisive," he told a media conference at the World Cup.

"It's also true that I had a big injury. It's experience. There were little issues with Mourinho, but they were nothing.

"These are things that make you grow. I never had a season where I was pushed aside, or they put me on the bench.

"It is also the choice of the coach, it's his job, I must accept, as I always said, the only answer is on the pitch."

So no teams are really going to be resting guys for last games of group stage eh?

CONCACAF.

Aside from Mejico, no one else in the confederation matters, no even the US, sorry.
Nonsense. Aside from crapping the bed in qualifying for this WC, the US has qualified ahead of Mexico for the previous 3 World Cups, has a better head-to-head record in that time frame, and Dos a Cero’d them out of a World Cup.

Nonsense. Aside from crapping the bed in qualifying for this WC, the US has qualified ahead of Mexico for the previous 3 World Cups, has a better head-to-head record in that time frame, and Dos a Cero’d them out of a World Cup.
I don't follow CONCACAF, so I'll take your word on qualifications, but when the WC comes around, Mejico feels like a much more natural fit than the US who just feel like another filler team.

‘Arry Kane be walking around tonight humming

Big respect to @Chules for seeing into the future and knowing that Senegal are the one true in Africa. This came on my feed today made me think of you and @UVee

@Sebbe
Mane bless today, bruv!

I'm assuming it was the 70s since that is the last time my dad would have lived in Europe. I could be wrong on the date --- but I doubt it.

My mistake is that it was a former English manager, not a commentor:

Bill Nicholson last managed in 1974, so it would make sense that it was in the 70s.

Take the loss, son.

I don't follow CONCACAF, so I'll take your word on qualifications, but when the WC comes around, Mejico feels like a much more natural fit than the US who just feel like another filler team.
Rubish, part of the narrative Mexico always get bounced in the round of 16. WC is expanding anyways. CONCACAF is having a poor tournament but one team always makes a run. Costa Rica in 14 was a good team.

Take the loss, son.

Ummm you might want to check the rule you thought was not in effect -- since you were wrong. The only thing that changed since 1925 is that they tried clarify the ambiguity in 2003 and then again in 2005.

So actually you were wrong. Feel free to look up the Bill Nicholson quote that I referred to.

My mistake—qualified ahead of them in the previous 4 World Cups.

We got further in 2002 by beating them in the Rof16, Mexico got out of groups in 2006 and went out in the Rof16, both out in Rof16 in 2010, and both out in the Rof16 in 2014.

Neither has really outperformed the other as a whole over the last 4–though I will say that Mexico typically has the tougher Rof16 (Argentina and Netherlands in the last two vs Ghana and Belgium for the US).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back