The Official Fifa World Cup thread v5: We go Agane

Would you rather

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
It's great though. The fact that it means so much makes it more exciting. They're not trying to win for money, they already got plenty of that. They want to win for their country.
In sport's this is such a rarity. Making it a thing of beauty.

I'm a Messi guy. He does things with the ball that drops my jaw. Often. Wont shit on Cristiano just to elevate Lionel though. Theyre both clearly rare generational talents.

Enjoy them both i say.

I'm a Messi guy. He does things with the ball that drops my jaw. Often. Wont shit on Cristiano just to elevate Lionel though. Theyre both clearly rare generational talents.

Enjoy them both i say.

Nah the last week disqualifies him from any talk of entering the inane GOAT discussion, clearly.

Love the 4 king football tourists who base their entire knowledge on a month every 4 years (where players are playing in alien environments).

the crazy thing of this cup is that pretty much every team big or not is playing methodologically towards the defensive game

Pretty much every big team is suffering to win a 1-0 game against mid lvl teams

this cup is really equilibrated,i am liking it a lot, almost every game is stacked

I was rooting for Costa Rica till they started pulling that fake injury shit towards the end. Good that they lost, fuck any team that does that shit routinely. That VAR system already paying off, kept that fairy Neymar from getting a penalty.

Wish they started giving out red cards more often for flops and fake injuries

Nah the last week disqualifies him from any talk of entering the inane GOAT discussion, clearly.

Love the 4 king football tourists who base their entire knowledge on a month every 4 years (where players are playing in alien environments).
He's been bad but the top is bullshit. If it is the case then Ronnie doesnt deserve to be in it after last WC where he was just as bad and Portugal also got bounced in the Group Stage.Ppl didnt say shit back then but theres a furor this year.

Unless you are saying how 1-2 weeks shouldnt define an entire career(kind of like getting lucky in a CL run shouldnt define the entire season like winning a league) then I see where you are at.

might as well get some posting in while i can.

He's been bad but the top is bullshit. If it is the case then Ronnie doesnt deserve to be in it after last C where he was just as bad and Portugal also got bounced in the Group Stage.

Unless you are saying how 1-2 weeks shouldnt define an entire career(kind of like getting lucky in a CL run shouldnt define the entire season like winning a league) then I see where you are at.

Think Lewis' first comment was sarcastic and he means it like you mentioned in the second part of your post. :)

Time for us to soon taste the European flesh. During such events I do thoroughly enjoy the savory Northern cuisines....

The political shithousery that has infested the Argentinean FA during the whole of Messi's era is clearly even more toxic than we thought. And that is saying something, cuzwe 've known its been AIDS for a while now.

Sampioli is no f'n scrub

If footy *fans* couldn't enjoy watching young CR7 play at Utd then they're either thick as mince, crusty as a month old dog turd in Arizona or Scouse.

We've not witnessed anything close to his level since he left for Real Madrid.

Enjoy them both i say.
That is how I see it too (also think Missi is the more versatile/complete player, but don't tell anyone!), but boy is it fun to bash the one you like less when he is doing badly. :D

Think Lewis' first comment was sarcastic and he means it like you mentioned in the second part of your post. :)
I think football is much more difficult to determine who the GOAT is and what a player means when you have club competition and international competitions where there are so many more variables.

In basketball you got the NBA, in American football you got the NFL, baseball-MLB, hockey-NHL(lesser extent the olympics/WC) where there are less variables.

There are basically a handful of GOAT's to people in football and you can make a legit argument for them all.

In basketball you got Jordan with a small(and weak) case for LeBron. American football is by position, hockey(Gretzky with maybe weaker cases for Mario, Orr, Howe)

still haven't found a team to root for, atleast with brazil I've found a team that I really want to see lose
Get up and on this Mexican Express mate! Next stop: Knockout stage! @Chris Partlow @xtramob @Lustercross these heads will vouch.

I legit near bit lol

the crazy thing of this cup is that pretty much every team big or not is playing methodologically towards the defensive game

Pretty much every big team is suffering to win a 1-0 game against mid lvl teams

this cup is really equilibrated,i am liking it a lot, almost every game is stacked
Aye. Fantastic tourney so far innit.
Vamos Mexico!
Yezzir!!!

Heard some old alcoholic rambling on about how Maradona was a far better player than Messi ever was in a cafe other day up in Big Bear. Spouting proper faceplant shit.

Was itching to destroy the twat but my Mum was at the breakfast table & she dont like bully's so i kept stum.

Good catholic boy, me.

Really Rooting for Iceland now

not because if they win they erase Argentina from the world cup,but because they looked amazing in their first game, a lot of heart on those guys, for a 300k country with no real experience on soccer they gained a lot of respect

I think football is much more difficult to determine who the GOAT is and what a player means when you have club competition and international competitions where there are so many more variables.

In basketball you got the NBA, in American football you got the NFL, baseball-MLB, hockey-NHL(lesser extent the olympics/WC) where there are less variables.

There are basically a handful of GOAT's to people in football and you can make a legit argument for them all.

In basketball you got Jordan with a small(and weak) case for LeBron. American football is by position, hockey(Gretzky with maybe weaker cases for Mario, Orr, Howe)
Think I mentioned it a few times over the years already - I really don't like GOAT discussions in any sport, I don't see the value in it or even sense. Sports creates new great players, new memories, new epic moments etc. all the time. People should just enjoy what currently happens and stop trying to judge the past. I have never seen Maradona play live, how could I judge him? Or players who played positions that don't even exist anymore (except in beer leagues)?

(but yeah with the NHL and NBA it is rather easy)

Just enjoy them both while we still can.

Also, we all know Jese is the true GOAT.

Enjoy them both i say.
Great points and I obviously have been critical of CR7 the last several years but mainly because he is a Madrid player and a diver. He is a legend for sure. I thoroughly enjoyed him at Utd when he was a more complete player. Hes a better goalscorer now but does rely more on his teammates getting him the ball in his positions. At Utd he was a complete player and a pure joy to watch(minus the diving).

Both guys should be enjoyed because in 5 years when we dont have either(or at least at their peaks) we will speak on how much we miss the days of Messi/CR7. Everywhere you look it's always a battle of comparisons of the two. It's rare to have a talent like each guy, much less both, in the same generation.

I think we live in a time where everything and everyone must be compared and broken down. Hell, look at twitter and FB, when a post about jordan or LeBron(without the other guy mentioned) is put up and the entire comments section is a battle between who is better and how the other guy is trash and both are broken down at every single level. Jordan hasnt played in 20 years and those comparisons still happen.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back