The Official Fifa World Cup thread v16: France v Belgium - Semi Final Match Edition

Who Advances To The Final?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
Buffon ready to fight for PSG place but not targeting Champions League
resize

Jul 9, 2018 9:43 AM

Alphonse Areola beat out competition from Kevin Trapp at PSG last season, but Gianluigi Buffon has not joined the club to be a deputy.

Gianluigi Buffon says it would be "mad" for Paris Saint-Germain to make the Champions League their top target as the goalkeeping legend prepares to fight for a starting spot.

Buffon agreed a one-year deal with the Ligue 1 champions, ending a 17-year stay in Italy with Juventus.

Alphonse Areola usurped Kevin Trapp as PSG's regular goalkeeper last season and Buffon will battle to be the first choice under new coach Thomas Tuchel.

"I've always been the number one, in Parma, Turin and in the national team," Buffon said at his unveiling on Monday.

"But nobody assured me that I would be number one. I gained that status.

"I'm 40, healthy, so I will do my best to be important for PSG and to help my team-mates, not only the goalkeepers."

Although Buffon won nine Serie A titles and four Coppas Italia with Juventus he never tasted glory in the Champions League, losing in the final three times.

PSG are also yet to win the tournament despite huge investment in their squad – including a world-record deal for Neymar – and domestic dominance, but Buffon is not solely focusing on European titles.

"I have had this goal long before PSG. I think it's not PSG's obsession, but it's clearly a very interesting title to get," added Buffon.

"I accepted the offer because the conditions are reunited for me to become a better man and a better player. I also think that I can help the team to improve.

"But at the beginning of a season, you can't focus on a goal, only mad people do that and we're not mad here."

Buffon's contract has the option for a second season, but the veteran is not ready to think about when he might retire.

"I stopped counting," Buffon said. "When I was 30 I thought I would play only two more years and then I was 34, 36...

"I don't want to think about it anymore, it is negative. I will play until my body allows me to play."

France has too many weapons over Belgium.

Hope they make it back to the Prems, too nice of a stadium to not be in at least Championships..
i think thats the nicest thing anyone said about the club since ive been here lol

you'll be happy to know those pink seats are being removed and replaced with new seats

Big Sam used to be a winger.

He’s had a stellar 18 months
I really like the commentary on the stretch-counterattack in the first GIF.

It seemed to me that the trends I've observed are matching the thesis of the article. Russia was one goddamn PK from getting to the semifinals, and I believe they had (at least mathematically) the most rigorously defensive strategy in the tournament. Which of the four teams left is probably known for the most aggressive attacking? It thought European football was shifting away from more defensively-oriented schemes, so if they are, it's hard to criticize attacking, I suppose. It's clearing working at the national level, at least.

It seemed to me that the trends I've observed are matching the thesis of the article. Russia was one goddamn PK from getting to the semifinals, and I believe they had (at least mathematically) the most rigorously defensive strategy in the tournament. Which of the four teams left is probably known for the most aggressive attacking? It thought European football was shifting away from more defensively-oriented schemes, so if they are, it's hard to criticize attacking, I suppose. It's clearing working at the national level, at least.
Belgium. Their manager played kamikaze football with a relegation team for years.

France. They’re vicious going forward, their coach is just a dumbass old man.

But the top 3 or 4 weapons Belgium has are better than the French ones.
God you guys pretending to know what you're talking about insufferable.
Belgium doesn't have one attacker better than Mbappe
Griezmann is a top 5 striker
Giroud is the GOAT(Jk)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back