The Official Dragon Ball (Z, GT, S, etc.) Franchise Discussion Thread v3

Status
Not open for further replies.
BRUH. I grew up watching Ocean Dub up to the point where the Funimation Dub was aired on TV (Goku arriving on Namek and fighting Recoome). Ocean Dub might be more censored with some laughable changes (sending someone to "another dimension" instead of killing them), but in other aspects it's superior to the Funi dub. Also, Vegeta's voice just smacks of a sneaky, arrogant, evil shit. Perfect for when he played the villain.

Their first fight in the Ocean Dub is the stuff of legends. Great voices and musical score.

EDIT: Don't know why, but some of these videos are timestamped from Youtube. Just watch the clips in their entirety. They're epic.

I've never watched it and was thinking about giving it a watch, but I heard some really negative things about it. I love the music in these clips though.

I've never watched it and was thinking about giving it a watch, but I heard some really negative things about it. I love the music in these clips though.

Most of the criticism probably comes from people who didn't grow up watching it. Everyone that watched it back in the day still thinks it's the better dub for the earlier episodes.

I had a hard time adapting to the new voices (particularly Vegeta whose current voice by Chris Sabat is much deeper), and the Bruce Faulconer music was obnoxious at first. But it too has grown on me over the years. I like both dubs (as well as the Japanese version) each for their own reasons.

I know you guys have seen the footage from the new DBZ fighting game they're putting out. Footage looks GORGEOUS.

Lol @ Vegeta getting murked

Lol @ Vegeta getting murked

You noticed that too! Seemed like every time he jumped in he jobbed immediately. Poor guy can't even catch a fucking break in the video games.

BRUH. I grew up watching Ocean Dub up to the point where the Funimation Dub was aired on TV (Goku arriving on Namek and fighting Recoome). Ocean Dub might be more censored with some laughable changes (sending someone to "another dimension" instead of killing them), but in other aspects it's superior to the Funi dub. Also, Vegeta's voice just smacks of a sneaky, arrogant, evil shit. Perfect for when he played the villain.

Their first fight in the Ocean Dub is the stuff of legends. Great voices and musical score.

EDIT: Don't know why, but some of these videos are timestamped from Youtube. Just watch the clips in their entirety. They're epic.

sorry, there's a reason why that went the way of the dinosaurs.

Sabat and Schemmel ARE Vegeta and Goku. There is no one else that fits those roles so well. The Japanese dub is also garbage tier.

sorry, there's a reason why that went the way of the dinosaurs.

Sabat and Schemmel ARE Vegeta and Goku. There is no one else that fits those roles so well. The Japanese dub is also garbage tier.

This has already been discussed ad nauseam in the previous threads. There is no single dub that is completely superior to the others. Each has their pros and cons. Japanese, Ocean, Funi, Kai. And of course everyone will have different tastes based on whatever they grew up watching, and/or were first exposed to.

Most of the criticism probably comes from people who didn't grow up watching it. Everyone that watched it back in the day still thinks it's the better dub for the earlier episodes.

I had a hard time adapting to the new voices (particularly Vegeta whose current voice by Chris Sabat is much deeper), and the Bruce Faulconer music was obnoxious at first. But it too has grown on me over the years. I like both dubs (as well as the Japanese version) each for their own reasons.
I personally prefer Sabat as Vegeta, but I can see why people would have a different opinion. There are little bits in the clips that are objectively worse like Goku's speech in the first clip where he pauses for no reason in the middle of his sentence lol.

I just looked it up and apparently this was the dub I watched as a kid but I honestly don't remember it. I was probably too young and when I rewatched Dragon Ball years later I watched Funimation's stuff and that's the one that stuck in my head. Not to mention all the Budokai games had Funimation voice actors.

This has already been discussed ad nauseam in the previous threads. There is no single dub that is completely superior to the others. Each has their pros and cons. Japanese, Ocean, Funi, Kai. And of course everyone will have different tastes based on whatever they grew up watching, and/or were first exposed to.

I dont know what communist gulag you grew up in, but here in AMERICA, we watched DBZ on toonami which had the funi dub. Schemmel perfectly captures the light hearted and goofy nature of Goku and turns the intensity up perfectly in the more serious moments. Vegeta's deep gravelly voice is awesome and I feel matches the character perfectly as well. Bruce Falconer's (sp?) soundtrack is also spot on for capturing the futuristic weirdness of the series.

Also, tell me this intro isnt laughably bad... lol just lol

"dragon dragon ball..." LOL

Big Green Dub is best dub.

Big Green Dub is best dub.

Seeing the thumbnail of that video, I had a thought...

Has there been any moment in the whole Dragon Ball franchise that is even half as satisfying as seeing Trunks finally killing those two cunts? The History of Trunks special was the first time I had deep-seated hatred for villains in an anime.

Seeing the thumbnail of that video, I had a thought...

Has there been any moment in the whole Dragon Ball franchise that is even half as satisfying as seeing Trunks finally killing those two cunts? The History of Trunks special was the first time I had deep-seated hatred for villains in an anime.
Trunks gets shit done.

Gohan put up a hell of a
fight against 17 and 18 in the movie, but was straight up curbstomped by 17 off panel in the manga.

I dont know what communist gulag you grew up in, but here in AMERICA, we watched DBZ on toonami which had the funi dub. Schemmel perfectly captures the light hearted and goofy nature of Goku and turns the intensity up perfectly in the more serious moments. Vegeta's deep gravelly voice is awesome and I feel matches the character perfectly as well. Bruce Falconer's (sp?) soundtrack is also spot on for capturing the futuristic weirdness of the series.

Also, tell me this intro isnt laughably bad... lol just lol

"dragon dragon ball..." LOL

You must have started watching Dragonball Z much later than I did. I first saw DBZ on Cartoon Network, ON Toonami, at 5:00 in the afternoons, back when they were using Moltar as the host of the block (not Tom, who would later replace him). And everything pre-" Goku vs. Recoome" was Ocean Dub. Everything after was Funi. If they aired the Funi dub versions of the early episodes at any point, it must have been much later.

And this was one commercial for DBZ I saw back in the day. Never saw the one you posted on air.

At 14:16 you can hear Brian Drummond's Vegeta.

Last edited:
You must have started watching Dragonball Z much later than I did. I first saw DBZ on Cartoon Network, ON Toonami, at 5:00 in the afternoons, back when they were using Moltar as the host of the block (not Tom, who would later replace him). And everything pre-" Goku vs. Recoome" was Ocean Dub. Everything after was Funi. If they aired the Ocean dub versions of the early episodes at any point, it must have been much later.

Yeah I definitely don't remember Moltar hosting toonami. I didn't even know that was a thing until now. I started watching DBZ in the first grade which would have been...1996/1997. I don't remember anything about the voices back then. I do know that by the time I was full blown obsessed in the 3rd grade it was funimation and Tom hosting toonami which would go on for years and be the standard by which everyone watched DBZ. You aware of toonami aftermath?

Yeah I definitely don't remember Moltar hosting toonami. I didn't even know that was a thing until now. I started watching DBZ in the first grade which would have been...1996/1997. I don't remember anything about the voices back then. I do know that by the time I was full blown obsessed in the 3rd grade it was funimation and Tom hosting toonami which would go on for years and be the standard by which everyone watched DBZ. You aware of toonami aftermath?

Never heard of it, but looks interesting. I'll have to check their stuff out, I miss a lot of the old programs they don't play anymore.

Never heard of it, but looks interesting. I'll have to check their stuff out, I miss a lot of the old programs they don't play anymore.

yeah toonamiaftermath.com they have toonami in it's original form complete with 90s commercials and Tom's intros/outros. They have 2 streams going 24/7 365

Anyone remember the DBZ character promos they used to run on Toonami? They did one for Goku, Gohan, Krillin, Piccolo and Vegeta

I even found this old toonami segment with Tom talking about anger. The focus of the video is DBZ, especially Vegeta and Piccolo:

Anyone remember the DBZ character promos they used to run on Toonami? They did one for Goku, Gohan, Krillin, Piccolo and Vegeta

I even found this old toonami segment with Tom talking about anger. The focus of the video is DBZ, especially Vegeta and Piccolo:

I remember those. God Toonami used to be so much fun.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back