The next generation of MMA combatants will be a whole new level

Think about it, the UFC has only been big for a little while. There are very few people who grew up with MMA being mainstream. In the next generation we will have parents who instill things like wrestling, boxing, bjj fundamentals at young ages. We will have athletes who understand from the get-go what is useful and what is not (aikido)

Do you have any idea how LOOONNNGGG people have been saying that? Yet here we are in 2018 still with the majority of champs with amateur wrestling backgrounds (Cejudo, TJ, Khabib, Tyron, Cormier) And not all, but the majority of top people they are fighting, or going to fight (mighty mouse, T-Ferg, Kevin Lee, Colby, Bones, Stipe, Weidman, Rockhold) do as well.

Of course, other disciplines matter, but wrestling is never going to be knocked off the perch as the most impactful skill overall. The sooner knuckleheads learn this the better.

BRIAN ORTEGA and zabit are the next generation of mma the wrestling generation will be fading out soon.

LOL---Zabit has an extensive amateur wrestling background. He was wrestling at 9 or 10 years old and did years of that before he did anything else.

Ortega is an example, as is the current Champ Max, as someone without an amateur wrestling background. There have always been and will always be champs and other great fighters that did not come from an amateur wrestling background (GSP, Aldo, Anderson Silva). But wrestling is never going to be supplanted. Ever.

If you want your kid to have the best chance to be a UFC champ, the math of it is clear, get them into amateur wrestling.

Like Romac?? Still got his shit pushed in by Lawler

You mean Robbie Lawler the former All-State wrestler in Iowa. Fucking Iowa. The center of the North American wrestling Universe.

Still waiting for that next generation after all this time.

Prime Chuck beats them all.

except we were having the exact same discussion 10-15 yrs ago
I think this true. But fighters nowadays do know or should that they need more than one discipline. Although we still have some that are great at one, and possibly just ok at others. Even though some might be more well rounded than back then, seems to be the same to an extent.

Think about it, the UFC has only been big for a little while. There are very few people who grew up with MMA being mainstream. In the next generation we will have parents who instill things like wrestling, boxing, bjj fundamentals at young ages. We will have athletes who understand from the get-go what is useful and what is not (aikido)
I totally agree the next generation is gonna be sick. Boxing is gonna be next level shit. It reminds me of that one time you lied about meeting a girl.

http://forums.sherdog.com/threads/i-demand-the-mods-remove-this-thread-immediately.3821137/

the UFC has only been big for a little while
But is the UFC really that much bigger now - compared to like 13 years ago when TUF1 first aired?

I would think that some kind of generational change would have already started around TUF1, which is often cited as a time when the UFC became more mainstream. And kids who were 7 back then are now 20, so they should already be rising MMA stars.

But then again - I might be wrong. I would assume there are significantly more MMA gyms and classes now than in 2005.

Last edited:
Back