*** "The New York Badass" Phil Baroni SHERDOG Q&A ***

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi Phil,

You’re one of my all-time favorites.

Can you retell the story of how you bet that Anderson would beat Sonnen going in tothe 5th round, during the fight. Ive always thought that was an interesting story of yours.

And what's your diet like these days? You used to get real strict sometimes.

Ladies and Gentlemen

Please welcome the New York Bad Ass himself

Mr Phil Baroni

Check this out
Best HL of me ever made IMO

Hey Phil, thanks for taking the time out to pop in!

You think Tito gets the W tonight?

I think so. Chael looks soft IMO

What's up Phil? I thought you were gonna do a video response so I asked my questions a few days ago, but I'll copy and paste what I said for ya:

"Hi Phil! Let me preface this by saying you are indeed, The Best Eva

Platinum Mike Perry has drawn a lot of comparisons to you, what do you think of him and how far do you think he can go?

And second question, who are some of your favorite fighters ever?"

I think so. Chael looks soft IMO

I saw you getting annoyed earlier over people's attitude towards Tito

You think he doesn't get the respect he deserves?

NEW YAWK FUCKIN BADASS, DA BEST EVAH!!!!!!! First fighter New York had to be proud of was Phil fucking Baroni da NYBA.

Phil, come back home and headline shows first at the Coliseum then the Garden.

Hey Phil, do you have any interest in coming out of retirement to compete for Rizin over in Japan? A Pride guy like yourself would definitely be welcomed there, and you could soccer kick and stomp and smash people over there for sure.

Even if you don't fight, what about taking Joe Warren's spot on the microphone? We'd be glad to have you back in the booth at least.

I'm not retired. I just trained hard 6 months in Thailand at Phuket Top Team. I had a good camp there and I believe I can still compete at a high level. I just have to tweak my mindset and style a bit. I was in talks with Rizen a bit. I couldn't come to an agreement with Millen. But hopefully something can be worked out in the future. Crazy Horse can't be the guy repping American MMA in my opinion. Esp when you have a Hammer House rep and 2X PRIDE GP title contender still at it. But what do I know. And of course I'd love to work the booth at Rizen. But that's not up to me.

And I wish Ninja fought you

War

8aed2ffb4dc717dced679a0da8db80b8.jpg

!

How do you vs the Rua brothers would have gone?

So do I. I think I would have KOed Ninja. Shogun was a monster in PRIDE that woulda been a tall order. But I always have a punchers chance. I'm the better wrestler and I hit harder. But he was STRONG in PRIDE that woulda been a tough order.

I have a question, what are your advices for up and coming fighters ? also, what would you do differently if you could go back in time ?

I'd say find a good trainer that you believe in and that believes in you and stay there. For the most part. But find a successful team and train with them. And I recommend staying in the gym. Don't get to out of shape between fights. That's my advice from experience.

Hi Phil, what do you think of the current efforts in unionization and bringing the Ali act to MMA? And are you in support of any particular union/association - MMAAA, MMAFA, PFA?

I don't know. It's hard to unionize fighters. Maybe a union for the promotions. Like a ufc union and a Belator union could be good.
But I'm not so sure. I am in favor of the Ali act. That's a no brainier.

Hey Phil, Are you still training? and what changes in MMA(technique, training camps, rules) have been the most beneficial to the growth of the sport?

I took some time off but I'm back at it. I figure this is it it's now or never and I'm looking to book something soon. I went to Thailand and PTT and I'd say for about 2 months I thought maybe it's time to hang it up. But I trained hard 2Xs a day and ran. I built my body back and by the 3rd month I was training hard 4Workout 2Xs a day. I also had massage & was Stretched everyday. Thailand cheap and I was able to be massaged, iced, & stretched everyday. That's s gaood thing about Thailand. You can eat good and have your body worked on and taken care of cheap.
Training camp or teams are very important in MMA but I believe it will turn more into gyms like boxing gyms. And fighters will have there own coaches & camps will be sparring partners specific for the fighters like you see in boxing. I was at aka recently and there are a lot of coaches helping fighters. Javiar Mendez can't hold pads and put time into everybody. I think all the gyms have there own techniques that they employ. But MMA is different. You see the prototypical mma fighter & then you see guys like
Wonder Boy, Cruise, and Machida that have there own styles. It all depends on the fighter and what he excels at and what style suits his strengths & weakness physical as well as his mind set.

Would you like to have a fight in
Rizin Fighting Federation?
If so who would you like to fight?

I would be down to pay good money to see you fight Krazy Horse.

Yes I'd love to fight again in Japan. I'd fight anybody. The issue was they didn't have my minimum purse so terms couldn't be reached. And I like Crazy Horse there would be no reason to fight him. And we're both American so I don't think that would make sense.
Who's the hardest hitting guy I ever fought.
That would have to go to Chris Holland. That guy can punch

Serious question, was training in the early days serious and you just not have the added value of the 20+ years guys now do, or did you just show up play around and try to 'figure it out'

A. I had to figure it out. It was wrestler vs bjj guys pretty much when I started at UFC 30. We had to figure it out. It was a guessing game. I lost fights trying new shit back in the day. And when I thought it was figured out it would change. It's still evolving. But back then I didn't even know how to get in shape. Now they have specific S&C coaches. It's a completely different world now. When I can up it was the wild Wild West.

Platinum Mike Perry has drawn a lot of comparisons to you, what do you think of him and how far do you think he can go?

Yes he goes. He can fight his ass off. But I don't know? He says a lot of the things I said or we feel the same about a lot of things. I don't think we have a similar style or fight the same. Cody Garbrant reminded me of myself a lot when he wanted to kill Dilashaw during an interview. Those two have a similar mindset IMO. My style standing was pretty much sprawl & brawl. I used my wrestling souley for take down D most of the time and boxed guy's with a peek a boo style. I don't see that in those two. They use all there weapons and fight a lot smarter. I'm big fans of both fighters. I like them both, there mindset and styles.

And second question, who are some of your favorite fighters ever?

Same as you, me.

I remember watching a documentary on you before one of your recent fights where you were training at AKA. DC was talking about not going hard to avoid getting hurt and he mentioned you having a lot of setbacks throughout your career.

Yeah I been hurt a lot. Had 2 Knee surgeries. Tore my pec and had it down back on. Shoulder surgery my ankle and leg blew apart. My back & neck are bad. But that's it a part of the game. I wish I took care of my body a little better. But I'm 40 and I can still compete so nothing career ending. Just some surgerys & a lot of rehab. I also went into a few fights hurt with concussions from hard sparring. I've had injuries but have always been able to fight through them.

Hey Phil, who is your best win in your opinion?

I have 3 Menne put me in the map. KOing Minowa in PRIDE proved I was still one of the best in the world at the time. And beating Ribero in ONE. That was an important fight and win for me. And I was really happy. It was my first fight back after shoulder surgery and told me I'm still a dangerous mother fucker and can still compete against anybody.

What do you think of wmma in the ufc? and Ronda Rousey and her downfall

Ive grown to like it. I'm not sure I agree with it being in the ufc. We will see how it does now that Rhonda might not be fighting anymore.

The ufc sale/did he expect the Fertittas would sell the ufc around this time or did he think they wouldn't sell it at all or at least till 2020
A. I new it was for sale it was always for sale and the frettias wanted to bring the Nfl to Las Vegas so I wasn't surprised.

The ufc sale/did he expect the Fertittas would sell the ufc around this time or did he think they wouldn't sell it at all or at least till 2020
thoughts on Goldberg getting fired and chuck/hughes losing their job for life even though that was only under zuffa so that cant be too surprising

Goldberg was pretty good and the voice of the ufc but there are new owners and they want to put there guys in now. It's understandable.
Joe Silva also gone.We will see more entertaining fights now. Not so much #2 vs #3 or #15 vs 17.I think it's good. I want to see exciting fights. But joe did good. He found talent when there wasn't much and made it a legit sport and had rankings in his head making it legit back in the day when the sport needed to be legit. He did his job and did it well. He at the time was what the ufc needed. Now we need BIG fights and rankings not as important. More like Koker's style of match making. I think Rich Chew is the new Silva but for Belator. But with a better mix of "fun" fights

What kind of injuries did you face, when and during what moments in your career. Always interested in what us fans don't hear about...Thanks Phil.

Torn Pec and destroyed shoulder surgery fixed. Both knees I've had surgery on. My ankle witch was like acl of ankle but worse a dislocation and shattered leg, torn labrum in shoulder and hip. Bad back that's about it. And nerve damage my entire left side is half my right. But still stronger than most's strong side hahaIt's been said chuck and Matt just cashed checks so they were fired and Forrest who worked kept his gig. Seems fair.

What's your funniest story involving Mark Coleman?

Too many to remember but one a lot of people know is we were watching shoguns fights in japan at a fight bar in Ropongie. He saw that Odessa had him a huge dog called him and bet 20k on himself. He won and in the back was saying never bet the house against the hammer and that was why. He bet on himself and won. He also stood on Silva's neck after I tackled him and pulled up on the middle rope pro wrestling style to choke him while I got a few shots it. The Hammers the best. I owe him my career in Japan. I owe him everything really. He for no reason took me under his wing and mentored me. And still helps me and gives me advice to this day.

Phil Baroni, being a fighter who considers himself to be very attractive and a bit of a sex symbol (rightfully so) are there any other male MMA fighters out there that you think bring that to the cage?

and did that charismatic larger-than-life persona give you more confidence as a fighter during your prime?

I'm not sure as I don't check out dudes. But Rhonda Meisha Marlouse & Pennya are sexy
Would he like to fight Wanderlei in Rizin. I'd love to see that fight cause of the whole Shogun vs Coleman incident. Yes, I'm old too Yeah I'd love that fight. Silva's a monster and Ive always been a fan. Makes a lot more Sense IMO that Crazy Horse And yeah I kept telling everyone I was the best myself included and I feel formanfew years indefinatly was.

Hey Phil I always was a fan and enjoyed your fights.When Coleman was ganged up on in pride after beating Shogun and you took Silva down did you get any punches in while on the ground ?Also are you done for good or can we maybe see 1 more from ya in Rizin?

Yeah I Got a few shots in and slapped him hard haha Maybe more than 1 in Rizen Or someplace but maybe no more just depends

What's your opinion on WMMA?

It's ok. Some chicks can really fight

Less of a question and more of a statement . Go an fight in Rizin bro . I love to see you kick ass there . Fuck this UFC shit ..... soccer kick someones ass into the second row . Plus they'd pay you big and treat you fuckin royal . Id love a fight there myself .

I'm awesome at soccer kick techniques check my insta or Phuket Too Teams insta I showed some soccer kicking techniques.If they pay me I'd go fight in Rizen in a heartbeat but not for peanuts.

What is your most "rockstar moment" ?

Everything before and after my fight in ONE against the evolve guy.

Hey Phil, go more in depth about what happened at UFC 45 in your fight with Tanner??.. was you really shouting "stop stop stop" to the ref Larry Landless (as he claimed) or was it a awful early stoppage and he was lying and trying to cover himself. I know you threw punches at him in the octagon, but did anything else happen backstage? what did Dana tell you?.

Think I'd ever verbally tap? Or tap from strikes? I've never tapped in a fight so what do you think? He's not Refing anymore. Dana said calm the fuck down. I was pretty stressed

How did Matt Lindland smell when you fought him?

was it like fighting a big ass smelly skunk?

He went Bulgarian on me. International Wrestling term for not wearing deodorant. Something like that. Something like a dead one rotting in the heat for a few days. He did it on purpose haha

What do you think of the training regiments of the MMA athletes today as compared to when you first started.

Much better I had no idea why I was doing. Going 2 three or 4 dif gyms I got a question:

I got a question:

What's the deal with you and the Facial Abuse guys? Do you train with them?

Friend and sponsor

Is Javier Mendez a good dude? Seemed like he was kind of a dick to you on that reality show.

He's a good dude and my friend.

Who are you fighting next or who do you want to fight next?

I have no idea man

Where are you training at, right now?

I just left AKA I was in vegas at XC but that Follis cat they got there is a Cocksucker and I can't stand him. I use to beat his ass at lindlands make him cry. Ask the law so not at XC. Drysdales is top notch an Syndicate is as well. Vegas has good training gyms. I'm always at OKG as well. One Kicks gym is always home.

In your honest opinion, what percentage of fighters in MMA use PED's?

I have no idea? Nor do I care. We didn't worry about that shit in my hay day.

you should fight BJ next or Krazy Horse, that would be legit.

There both friends. There are a lot of other cats to fight.

How do you feel about Conor Mcgregor ripping you off?

He's reading the book I wrote.

btw as much as I used to dislike you, that finish against Menne is still one of my all time favorites.

Thanks I never liked you much either btw

What are your thoughts Phil on a potential Conor McGregor vs Floyd Mayweather fight?

Floyd clowns him.

You were fun to watch and I miss a lot of the old guard. I mean no disrespect but when you did not tap when being choked out it stayed with me. I always thought that was awesome and still think about it from time to time.

Happened 2Xs to me. Oh well. I tried to get out and fellAsleep. And I'd never tap to that scumbag Shamrock

Question for Da Best Eva: What was more fun for you, fighting in Ufc or Pride, and with that - cage or ring?

Japan was awesome but I wish I was as successful in the states as iI was in japan. Maybe japan wasn't as much pressure. But I fought a lot better over there. I like the ring a lot better cage tactics suck. I like a fair fight
better

Last edited by a moderator:
I saw you getting annoyed earlier over people's attitude towards Tito

You think he doesn't get the respect he deserves?

He don't and at the end of the day it's not the ultimate press conference it's Ultimate Fighting

It would be awesome to see you take some legacy fights in RIZIN Phil. You're a legend

Hi Phil!

You have fought overseas quite a bit throughout your career. Which place has been your favorite to compete in?

THANK you for answering my questions.

When you fought Shamrock when did your groin injury happen? It was never really reported and I still think that was the cause of the outcome.
I suspect it was in the first round because you never seemed to be the same since. Was it a re-occurring injury or something that happened during the fight?

I tore my addicted when o fell down In the first round. He hit me with a combo and it just blew. I tore it bad running Sprints with aka and had to go back to vegas and get it shot up. I think the cortisone weakened it and I blew my adductor. I couldn't none or press well after that. It Fucking hurt a lot . Robbie Lawler tore his against Pete Sprat a long time ago

Can you retell the story of how you bet that Anderson would beat Sonnen going in tothe 5th round, during the fight. Ive always thought that was an interesting story of yours.

Yeah I know Chael and he couldn't believe what he said was happening and didn't believe it. I know Chael and like him a lot. He's really talented. But his mind isn't as strong as his body. I new he'd find a way to lose that fight.
He didn't really believe he was the best in the world and found a way to lose. IMO

And what's your diet like these days? You used to get real strict sometimes.

2 strict I'm 2 lean for no reason. I need some body fat. I eat6 meals 50 grams Protein and carbs a meal Pretty much but I loosened it up . It makes you crazy being to lean. I was super lean training at PTT and I was a bit crazy. Your brain needs carbs. To strict can make you crazy for months at a time. I've had some anorexia problems in the past. Nothing to get into but it's not good to be 2
Lean IMO . I was better in PRIDE 200 lbs than I am now around 185 and I've been as low as 168 recently after my injury. You need food

Last edited by a moderator:
Log on to see Phil is in the house, mas respect my man, wishing good health for you, sounds like you are feeling good so happy to hear.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back