The New Century & Animated Music Videos

Discussion in 'Music Discussion (BAM'S Bieberverse)' started by Madmick, Feb 7, 2018.

1. Madmick Stop Spoiling My TV Life (it's the one I like)

Madmick
    The top one in particular is my favorite.

I'm not sure who is to credit as the influence for this style of music video, but I've noticed it's very popular in one of my favorite subgenres, Electronica, and among European bands and DJs in general.

I know that Gorillaz was one of the first bands that conceived of "virtual band members" who had no real life correlate, and often had music videos that told fantastic and seemingly interwoven adventure narratives about these fictional worlds or characters. The above tend to be more one-off in nature, but this would seem to be a source of influence:

Daft Punk was an early adopter of the idea. One of my all-time favs:

Any favorites?

2. ookii Brown Belt

ookii
    Are you referring to who used the used the first fully animated cartoon style video? I believe it dates back to 1984 (of course not counting cartoons based on bands Josie & Pussycats etc)

Last edited: Feb 8, 2018
  3. GoForkYourself カーリング

GoForkYourself
    a few weird ones:

some good rotoscoping:

and a classic:

Madmick likes this.
  4. Rebelfett 2017 PWD Breakthrough Poster of the Year

Rebelfett
  5. jefferz Gold Belt

jefferz
  6. rikwebb Purple Belt

rikwebb
  7. Nesk Blue Belt

Nesk
  8. ookii Brown Belt

ookii

Last edited: Feb 9, 2018
  9. Hatestorm P4P Hottest Smelling AV

Hatestorm
  10. Madmick Stop Spoiling My TV Life (it's the one I like)

Madmick
    No, not merely animated, that's very old. This is part of why I'm having difficulty tracing a source; because I cannot even adequately define and describe the "style" which is appears to me be emerging and congealing in some greater pattern or movement. Right now I feel the artistic style-- this pattern-- more than I comprehend it on a cerebral level. So I'm not even sure there is a "movement" here, but it feels like there is one, and that its history runs through YouTube, not traditional outlets of old like MTV.

I think one of the chief elements is that it costs less, not more (an traditional animation tends to cost a lot more). It seems most closely associated with electronica, house, or European flavors of hip-hop. Definitely feels more Euro than North American. There is an LCD dreamlike visual quality to a lot of the work. Even those videos which convey a visual narrative are often more abstract. 2D and watercolor is more prevalent than most other styles, but there is also a strong affinity for retro animation and the popular visual styles of the 20's, 30's and 40's: including not just in terms of animation, but fashion, and editing strategies.

It sort of feels like an attempt to modernize the brilliant, brilliant, brilliant, brilliant "pink elephant" sequence from Dumbo, and layer these North American roots of animation to Euro synthesizer-based traditions of music. There's no sense or presence of the corporate world at all. It carries an emotional tone of the lone DJ/musician in his room with his headphones, a synthesizer, and not much else to arm him. He hands his track to a friend who has been scribbling on everything since he was a kid, throughout class all over his textbooks when they were in school, that kid, and this friend comes back with his self-taught, guerrilla, fantastic, purely artistic drawings.

Do the Evolution was made in 1998, and while it doesn't conform to nearly any of my descriptions above, so far that video is the earliest example in tune with the feeling I get from a lot of these videos.

11. MadSquabbles500 Gold Belt

MadSquabbles500