The narrative that Conor McGregor made $100 million to fight Floyd Mayweather.

Not sure about other sports, but I had heard a year or two ago that Matthew Stafford (Lions QB) was highest paid guy in the NFL. He was getting like $25-30 million a year. Which of course is a ton, but a lot less than their single single boxing fight. Of course that was a one-off fight. But even if Conor makes $10 million per fight in the UFC, he only needs to fight 2-3 a year to make about the same as the highest paid NFL guy.

Those are multi year contracts tho. NFL is the worst example. But there a a good amount of MLB players with 250-300 million dollar guaranteed contracts. NBA and top Soccer players in Europe make a ton too. And their endowment and shoe deals are way more then anything fighters get. There are very very few fighters that can make that kind of money for extended periods of time. Conor would need to fight 2-3 times a year for the next 10 years at 10 mil a fight. we know that isn't going to happen.

Floyd, Pac Man, and Canelo are probably the only recent fighters that have been able to do that consistently over 5 of more years. Conor we still don't know because he doesn't seem to interested in staying active and he will never make nearly as much as he did in the Floyd fight again.

You're in every Conrad thread. Dont even compare me to you

You've had a Conor related av as long as I can remember.

And you think Conrad is somehow clever in any way.

Case closed.

tenor.gif

Not directed at you, but a rehash of my old posts about the May-McGregor financials from back when the fight happened:

Mayweather was guaranteed $120M for the Pac fight, and reportedly ended up making a total of $230-250M (so 2x his guarantee), and Pacquiao was guaranteed $80M and made around $120M (1.5x his guarantee). For May-McG Mayweather was guaranteed $100M, slightly less than for May-Pac, and Conor was guaranteed $30M, way less than Pac was guaranteed. If Conor made the same 1.5x his guarantee that Pac did, he made $45M ($30M x 1.5).

May-McG didn't make as much as May-Pac, and Conor made way less than Pac (and even less after the UFC took their portion). Conor's guaranteed purse was 37.5% of Pac's, so if Conor ended up making 37.5% of what Pac made, that equates to $45M ($120M Pac made x 37.5% = $45M). That's rough numbers utilizing much Pac made and basic logic. Let's look at how much Conor likely made in more detail:

For the May-Pac fight the fighters portion (i.e. after Showtime-cable-satellite cut) was split 60-40, with Pac getting 40%. Mayweather certainly got a larger protion of the split for the Conor fight than he did for the Pac fight, and so it was likely a 70-30 split, but let's be conservative and say 65-35.

Stephen Espinoza of Showtime Sports said May-Pac generated $600M in worldwide revenue, of which typically Showtime (and cable/satellite operators) receive half, but Espinoza said for the Mayweather-McGregor fight Showtime received a "slightly more favorable split than normal". [SOURCE: https://www.nytimes.com/2017/09/01/...r-mcgregor-was-a-pay-per-view-juggernaut.html]

All indications are that Mayweather-McGregor made a little less than May-Pac, so figure $550M. Of which about $45% ($550M x 45% = $247.5M) go to the fighters. Mayweather got somewhere around 65% of that, which leaves 35% ($247.5M x 35% = $86.6M) for the UFC and Conor to split.

Of that roughly $87M that the UFC and Conor shared, there's no way the UFC didn't get the lion's share. Contractually Conor couldn't fight without the UFC's blessing, or a prolonged court battle that there's no guarantee he would've won. But again being conservative, let's say the UFC and Conor split 50-50, that means Conor was paid $43.3M (indications are though that the UFC made $50M off the fight, which would imply a 60-40 split, with Conor getting the 40%).

So looking at it multiple ways, it always end up at the same place, Conor made around $45M.

Conor did not make $100M, not even close. Hell, it's doubtful that the UFC and Conor combined made $100M. Conor utilizes the $100M talk to hype himself and his naive nuthuggers eat it up, but that still doesn't make it true. Sure he made a boatload of money, but nowhere even close to $100M. That figure is so far from the truth that even Dana, an accomplished liar, won't say it because he wouldn't be able to keep a straight face.

Then you've got all the taxes and expenses that come out of Conor's cut. Between US and Ireland taxes, the gym's cut, management, etc. Conor cleared somewhere around 45% or $19.5M ($43.3M - 10% gym = $39M x 50% taxes/management/etc = $19.5M)

TL/DR: Conor grossed $43M (+/- $5M) and after everything was accounted for he pocketed close to $20M (+/- $2M). A lot of money but nowhere near what Conor and his huggers want people to believe.

The guaranteed salary doesn't matter, what matters is what the split was.

Floyd is still a cog in a wheel, without the financial backing of a broadcaster and a silent investor like Haymon he wouldn't be able to be who he is.

He's the biggest name in combat sports, and therefore is the A side and therefore is paid very, very, very well.

He's not corporate though, he's not the UFC and he's not Showtime.

He's the man that takes most of that money. Second to none.

He is the main promotion company, the owner.

He's not a cog in the wheel, he is the motherfucking machine.

He takes half, and then the rest is split between everyone else.

All you really need to know is that Conor could not do anything without the UFC's approval. That alone means that its pretty unlikely that Conor got that big of a cut of the revenue. Its pretty logical to assume that in order to put this fight together the UFC was given a pretty hefty cut otherwise why the hell would they do it?

You've had a Conor related av as long as I can remember.

And you think Conrad is somehow clever in any way.

Case closed.

Having a hard time differentiating between derision and mocking someone with hero worship?

Having a hard time differentiating between derision and mocking someone with hero worship?

Same same. Two sides of the same coin.

Balls deep in your head 24/7

You're obsessed.

Almost every source you'll find on the web states that Conor McGregor made in excess of $100 million to fight Floyd Mayweather in the boxing ring last year. I'm a little skeptical personally, as I believe this narrative is one that sounds cool, but isn't based in reality, let me elaborate.

Floyd Mayweather has had several fights in his career where he made a reported $100 million, including sponsorship, royalties, PPV cut etc. fights such as Alvarez, Pacquiao and now McGregor. I struggle to believe that Conor McGregor on his first go-around, with the UFC looming over his agency rights was able to make $100 million.

Supposedly this fight made $700 million in total revenue, what that consists of exactly, we will never know, but let's just take that figure at face value for a moment.

People act like Mayweather promotions is literally just Floyd, he promotes the whole event, he rents the venue, he pays the licensing fees etc. etc. etc. this is simply untrue. Leonard Ellerbe is a key factor in Mayweather promotions and is a very wealthy man at this stage, you can definitely be sure that he makes a cut of that money as head promoter. Then you have to consider the mystery man Al Haymon, there is no coincidence that he has relationships with several high-level boxers and there is no coincidence that they all thank him after their bouts. Al is supposedly a very wealthy investor who helps these events become the size that they are, he and Floyd are essentially silent partners in the boxing PPV business. You think Al isn't taking a 10-20% cut, if not more? That alone would be 70-140 million, throw that in with Ellerbe's money which would probably be slightly less (perhaps 10-15%) and you've already chopped almost half the money before paying Conor or Floyd.

What about Showtime? You think Stephen Espinoza and company didn't make a dime off of the fight? Those guys were the main broadcaster and therefore they surely made a hefty sum themselves, lets say that it was 20%, that means that a whole lot more of the pot has been eaten into.

Then we get to the UFC, the company that supposedly "wasn't allowed to promote the event". Supposedly they were not promoters of this event "legally" and therefore they weren't going to financially benefit. That idea is asinine my friends, Dana White himself probably made 5% just for brokering the deal, never mind how much WME took on the whole.

Then we are left with Floyd and Conor. Supposedly Floyd made $300 million and Conor made $100 million. So you mean to tell me that a fight which supposedly made $700 million dollars paid the fighters the lion share and the big corporate folks only took the other 30-40%? I personally believe that Floyd may have earned less than reported and Conor most definitely made less than $100 million.

Don't get me wrong, if Conor made $30 million, it's still his biggest paycheck ever and it was still a great move financially, but do not be misled here. What about Kavanagh's paycheck? What about Roddy's paycheck? What about the sparring partners? What about renting Joe Cortez's refereeing services? What about the taxman? This guy would have lost at least 20-30% just on expenditures.

All that said, I'm not anyone's accountant but I can smell BS when I see it.
Didn't read till the end but man you put in a lot of thought into something useless since it's based on pure pure specspeculation and we won't be able to verify those numbers

Very believable that Conor took home less than 50 mil but he inflated his take home net worth for that fight.

Just like how he inflates his worth to the UFC and actually being a two division champion. Doubt he can be the new Holloway and Khabib. As GSP has stated, the belts aren't worth anything. Conor hasn't faced any of the current top 2-3 LW fighters.

UFC probably made less or half of that proposed 100 mil. This has been talked about.

What I don't doubt is that Conor was worth every bit of that 100 million. He made the fight worth a 700 million. He sold the fuck outta that fight

If Conor made $100 M, close to half of that would be lost in tax. He also had to pay his manager and trainer, and other misclaneous fees. This would leave him with approximately $30-50 M plus the $25 M he had made previously in the UFC. Dana would probably know better than almost anyone.
Basically for him to walk away with $30 M he would probably have to make $100 M. Unfortunately, everyone is throwing around terms that are open to interpretation.
If his net worth is $75 M he certainly earned around $200M before tax and expenses.

Fyi all of the expenses/fees you bring up are tax deductible. Hes not getting taxed on 100 mil. That Vegas mansion he rented out for training? Not taxed. The money he gives to his gym? Not taxed.

Boxing doesn't just make money off of the PPV buys though. Sponsors, ticket sales and other things come into play as well.
I said no such thing and clearly specified that I was only referring to PPV revenue.

That leaves 45% of the PPV revenue to be split between Mayweather, McGregor, and the UFC <45>.

Fyi all of the expenses/fees you bring up are tax deductible. Hes not getting taxed on 100 mil. That Vegas mansion he rented out for training? Not taxed. The money he gives to his gym? Not taxed.
His income is subject to income tax. I am not talking about any tax write offs.

Same same. Two sides of the same coin.

Balls deep in your head 24/7

You're obsessed.
you have mental illness. Defending someone who you do not know is more weirder than talking shit.

you literally defend him like he's a family member. LOL so pathetic

dude leave that guy alone. he's clearly deranged and delusional. conor could fuck his mother and he would still defend it. he's mentally ill

Back