The narrative that Conor McGregor made $100 million to fight Floyd Mayweather.

What about Kavanagh's paycheck? What about Roddy's paycheck? What about the sparring partners? What about renting Joe Cortez's refereeing services? What about the taxman? This guy would have lost at least 20-30% just on expenditures.

This literally made me laugh out loud.
He got $500 and a single bed hotel room.

people don't realise, promoting MMA and promoting boxing are two different things all together. MMA promotions get everything and pay the fighter, in boxing a fighter via the ali Act can have more freewill over the purse and theres more competition in promoters to allow the fighter to go to other promoters for better (lower) percentages of the take. The lion's share goes to the A side and the high pull fighters in boxing, not the promoter. In MMA the lions share goes to the company.

la-sp-mayweather-pacquiao-check-20161129
<36>

Why the fuck do you care so much? The fight took place August of last year <Lmaoo>

Almost every source you'll find on the web states that Conor McGregor made in excess of $100 million to fight Floyd Mayweather in the boxing ring last year. I'm a little skeptical personally, as I believe this narrative is one that sounds cool, but isn't based in reality, let me elaborate.

Floyd Mayweather has had several fights in his career where he made a reported $100 million, including sponsorship, royalties, PPV cut etc. fights such as Alvarez, Pacquiao and now McGregor. I struggle to believe that Conor McGregor on his first go-around, with the UFC looming over his agency rights was able to make $100 million.

Supposedly this fight made $700 million in total revenue, what that consists of exactly, we will never know, but let's just take that figure at face value for a moment.

People act like Mayweather promotions is literally just Floyd, he promotes the whole event, he rents the venue, he pays the licensing fees etc. etc. etc. this is simply untrue. Leonard Ellerbe is a key factor in Mayweather promotions and is a very wealthy man at this stage, you can definitely be sure that he makes a cut of that money as head promoter. Then you have to consider the mystery man Al Haymon, there is no coincidence that he has relationships with several high-level boxers and there is no coincidence that they all thank him after their bouts. Al is supposedly a very wealthy investor who helps these events become the size that they are, he and Floyd are essentially silent partners in the boxing PPV business. You think Al isn't taking a 10-20% cut, if not more? That alone would be 70-140 million, throw that in with Ellerbe's money which would probably be slightly less (perhaps 10-15%) and you've already chopped almost half the money before paying Conor or Floyd.

What about Showtime? You think Stephen Espinoza and company didn't make a dime off of the fight? Those guys were the main broadcaster and therefore they surely made a hefty sum themselves, lets say that it was 20%, that means that a whole lot more of the pot has been eaten into.

Then we get to the UFC, the company that supposedly "wasn't allowed to promote the event". Supposedly they were not promoters of this event "legally" and therefore they weren't going to financially benefit. That idea is asinine my friends, Dana White himself probably made 5% just for brokering the deal, never mind how much WME took on the whole.

Then we are left with Floyd and Conor. Supposedly Floyd made $300 million and Conor made $100 million. So you mean to tell me that a fight which supposedly made $700 million dollars paid the fighters the lion share and the big corporate folks only took the other 30-40%? I personally believe that Floyd may have earned less than reported and Conor most definitely made less than $100 million.

Don't get me wrong, if Conor made $30 million, it's still his biggest paycheck ever and it was still a great move financially, but do not be misled here. What about Kavanagh's paycheck? What about Roddy's paycheck? What about the sparring partners? What about renting Joe Cortez's refereeing services? What about the taxman? This guy would have lost at least 20-30% just on expenditures.

All that said, I'm not anyone's accountant but I can smell BS when I see it.

Did you just write all this about somebody's potential payday and then end with what essentially equals "maybe, I'm not sure"?

Please op go look up so haymon. Man is a God behind the scenes for boxing promos.

Honestly these big time athletes get the lions share as they're the ones we are watching.

In conors case he would have to share his money with WME as he was under contract with them. Apart from that..

You’re absolutely right. He made $140M according to Conor’s own statement in court.

Also fucking lol at writing a giant OP about possible expenses people have to pay as a way to try and lower his purse to make yourself feel good. When the fuck does anybody talk about this when they’re discussing the purse actually given out? Nobody is saying he made 100-140M after everything, basic fucking taxes alone make that impossible unless he got way higher of a purse.

SAD!

Almost every source you'll find on the web states that Conor McGregor made in excess of $100 million to fight Floyd Mayweather in the boxing ring last year. I'm a little skeptical personally, as I believe this narrative is one that sounds cool, but isn't based in reality, let me elaborate.

Floyd Mayweather has had several fights in his career where he made a reported $100 million, including sponsorship, royalties, PPV cut etc. fights such as Alvarez, Pacquiao and now McGregor. I struggle to believe that Conor McGregor on his first go-around, with the UFC looming over his agency rights was able to make $100 million.

Supposedly this fight made $700 million in total revenue, what that consists of exactly, we will never know, but let's just take that figure at face value for a moment.

People act like Mayweather promotions is literally just Floyd, he promotes the whole event, he rents the venue, he pays the licensing fees etc. etc. etc. this is simply untrue. Leonard Ellerbe is a key factor in Mayweather promotions and is a very wealthy man at this stage, you can definitely be sure that he makes a cut of that money as head promoter. Then you have to consider the mystery man Al Haymon, there is no coincidence that he has relationships with several high-level boxers and there is no coincidence that they all thank him after their bouts. Al is supposedly a very wealthy investor who helps these events become the size that they are, he and Floyd are essentially silent partners in the boxing PPV business. You think Al isn't taking a 10-20% cut, if not more? That alone would be 70-140 million, throw that in with Ellerbe's money which would probably be slightly less (perhaps 10-15%) and you've already chopped almost half the money before paying Conor or Floyd.

What about Showtime? You think Stephen Espinoza and company didn't make a dime off of the fight? Those guys were the main broadcaster and therefore they surely made a hefty sum themselves, lets say that it was 20%, that means that a whole lot more of the pot has been eaten into.

Then we get to the UFC, the company that supposedly "wasn't allowed to promote the event". Supposedly they were not promoters of this event "legally" and therefore they weren't going to financially benefit. That idea is asinine my friends, Dana White himself probably made 5% just for brokering the deal, never mind how much WME took on the whole.

Then we are left with Floyd and Conor. Supposedly Floyd made $300 million and Conor made $100 million. So you mean to tell me that a fight which supposedly made $700 million dollars paid the fighters the lion share and the big corporate folks only took the other 30-40%? I personally believe that Floyd may have earned less than reported and Conor most definitely made less than $100 million.

Don't get me wrong, if Conor made $30 million, it's still his biggest paycheck ever and it was still a great move financially, but do not be misled here. What about Kavanagh's paycheck? What about Roddy's paycheck? What about the sparring partners? What about renting Joe Cortez's refereeing services? What about the taxman? This guy would have lost at least 20-30% just on expenditures.

You forgot the cable company, which gets the largest cut of the PPV revenue (i.e. They get 50% of the UFC's PPV revenue).

I only skimmed throught, and I thing you are forgetting one thing.

Floyd IS one of the corporate folk.

Actually, he is THE BIGGEST ONE, cause he was the A side.

So you should include Floyd in both the fighter side, and the corporate side and then the math is easier.
Floyd is still a cog in a wheel, without the financial backing of a broadcaster and a silent investor like Haymon he wouldn't be able to be who he is.

He's the biggest name in combat sports, and therefore is the A side and therefore is paid very, very, very well.

He's not corporate though, he's not the UFC and he's not Showtime.

Last edited:
I'm obsessed with how many lies are told about him to boost his marketing appeal.

I'm not in the business of being lied to.
So your saying you work for yourself and you make money from being told the truth?? Ok, so how does that work then.??
tenor.gif

So your saying you work for yourself and you make money from being told the truth?? Ok, so how does that work then.??
tenor.gif
I work for myself, yes.

I get lied to on the daily lol, of course, such is life. That said, if I'm discussing a pro-athlete and I'm calling out untruths, I refuse to be deliberately ignorant and ignore things that obviously aren't true.

Did you just write all this about somebody's potential payday and then end with what essentially equals "maybe, I'm not sure"?
Nope, I'm simply saying that I have no "facts", but I have a educated opinion on the matter.

You don't need to be a dentist to know good teeth.

conor didn't even make 50m

he was the bum in the whole deal

said it before
cant be ass repeating it again

when it comes to numbers and the ufc dying
i speak the truth

You’re absolutely right. He made $140M according to Conor’s own statement in court.

Also fucking lol at writing a giant OP about possible expenses people have to pay as a way to try and lower his purse to make yourself feel good. When the fuck does anybody talk about this when they’re discussing the purse actually given out? Nobody is saying he made 100-140M after everything, basic fucking taxes alone make that impossible unless he got way higher of a purse.

SAD!
I'm sad for calling out bullshit? Okay fella.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kilgorevontrouty
Back