The narrative that Conor McGregor made $100 million to fight Floyd Mayweather.

The Natural Born Runner

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Almost every source you'll find on the web states that Conor McGregor made in excess of $100 million to fight Floyd Mayweather in the boxing ring last year. I'm a little skeptical personally, as I believe this narrative is one that sounds cool, but isn't based in reality, let me elaborate.

Floyd Mayweather has had several fights in his career where he made a reported $100 million, including sponsorship, royalties, PPV cut etc. fights such as Alvarez, Pacquiao and now McGregor. I struggle to believe that Conor McGregor on his first go-around, with the UFC looming over his agency rights was able to make $100 million.

Supposedly this fight made $700 million in total revenue, what that consists of exactly, we will never know, but let's just take that figure at face value for a moment.

People act like Mayweather promotions is literally just Floyd, he promotes the whole event, he rents the venue, he pays the licensing fees etc. etc. etc. this is simply untrue. Leonard Ellerbe is a key factor in Mayweather promotions and is a very wealthy man at this stage, you can definitely be sure that he makes a cut of that money as head promoter. Then you have to consider the mystery man Al Haymon, there is no coincidence that he has relationships with several high-level boxers and there is no coincidence that they all thank him after their bouts. Al is supposedly a very wealthy investor who helps these events become the size that they are, he and Floyd are essentially silent partners in the boxing PPV business. You think Al isn't taking a 10-20% cut, if not more? That alone would be 70-140 million, throw that in with Ellerbe's money which would probably be slightly less (perhaps 10-15%) and you've already chopped almost half the money before paying Conor or Floyd.

What about Showtime? You think Stephen Espinoza and company didn't make a dime off of the fight? Those guys were the main broadcaster and therefore they surely made a hefty sum themselves, lets say that it was 20%, that means that a whole lot more of the pot has been eaten into.

Then we get to the UFC, the company that supposedly "wasn't allowed to promote the event". Supposedly they were not promoters of this event "legally" and therefore they weren't going to financially benefit. That idea is asinine my friends, Dana White himself probably made 5% just for brokering the deal, never mind how much WME took on the whole.

Then we are left with Floyd and Conor. Supposedly Floyd made $300 million and Conor made $100 million. So you mean to tell me that a fight which supposedly made $700 million dollars paid the fighters the lion share and the big corporate folks only took the other 30-40%? I personally believe that Floyd may have earned less than reported and Conor most definitely made less than $100 million.

Don't get me wrong, if Conor made $30 million, it's still his biggest paycheck ever and it was still a great move financially, but do not be misled here. What about Kavanagh's paycheck? What about Roddy's paycheck? What about the sparring partners? What about renting Joe Cortez's refereeing services? What about the taxman? This guy would have lost at least 20-30% just on expenditures.

All that said, I'm not anyone's accountant but I can smell BS when I see it.

Last edited:
£100m is nothing to a cocaine addict.

PicsArt_04-06-12.20.31.jpg

$100 million plus Reebok money!

Almost every source you'll find on the web states that Conor McGregor made in excess of $100 million to fight Floyd Mayweather in the boxing ring last year. I'm a little skeptical personally, as I believe this narrative is one that sounds cool, but isn't based in reality, let me elaborate.

Floyd Mayweather has had several fights in his career where he made a reported $100 million, including sponsorship, royalties, PPV cut etc. fights such as Alvarez, Pacquiao and now McGregor. I struggle to believe that Conor McGregor on his first go-around, with the UFC looming over his agency rights was able to make $100 million.

Supposedly this fight made $700 million in total revenue, what that consists of exactly, we will never know, but let's just take that figure at face value for a moment.

People act like Mayweather promotions is literally just Floyd, he promotes the whole event, he rents the venue, he pays the licensing fees etc. etc. etc. this is simply untrue. Leonard Ellerbe is a key factor in Mayweather promotions and is a very wealthy man at this stage, you can definitely be sure that he makes a cut of that money as head promoter. Then you have to consider the mystery man Al Haymon, there is no coincidence that he has relationships with several high-level boxers and there is no coincidence that they all thank him after their bouts. Al is supposedly a very wealthy investor who helps these events become the size that they are, he and Floyd are essentially silent partners in the boxing PPV business. You think Al isn't taking a 10-20% cut, if not more? That alone would be 70-140 million, throw that in with Ellerbe's money which would probably be slightly less (perhaps 10-15%) and you've already chopped almost half the money before paying Conor or Floyd.

What about Showtime? You think Stephen Espinoza and company didn't make a dime off of the fight? Those guys were the main broadcaster and therefore they surely made a hefty sum themselves, lets say that it was 20%, that means that a whole lot more of the pot has been eaten into.

Then we get to the UFC, the company that supposedly "wasn't allowed to promote the event". Supposedly they were not promoters of this event "legally" and therefore they weren't going to financially benefit. That idea is asinine my friends, Dana White himself probably made 5% just for brokering the deal, never mind how much WME took on the whole.

Then we are left with Floyd and Conor. Supposedly Floyd made $300 million and Conor made $100 million. So you mean to tell me that a fight which supposedly made $700 million dollars paid the fighters the lion share and the big corporate folks only took the other 30-40%? I personally believe that Floyd may have earned less than reported and Conor most definitely made less than $100 million.

Don't get me wrong, if Conor made $30 million, it's still his biggest paycheck ever and it was still a great move financially, but do not be misled here. What about Kavanagh's paycheck? What about Roddy's paycheck? What about the sparring partners? What about renting Joe Cortez's refereeing services? What about the taxman? This guy would have lost at least 20-30% just on expenditures.

It's not a stretch,
It's the second largest PPV of all time. It's said to have generated $700 mil in revenue (all sources)
What you think he rocked up to give the promoters the lions share?
No way. He got paid bank that is for sure.

300 mil for Floyd + 100 mil for Conor = $300 mil for everyone else (inc costs obviously)
Kavanah etc would have gotten a cut of conors money.
Conor gets paid then pays his own expenses. I imagine Floyd would do the same.
So sure baybe he got 90mil in his pocket (before tax) after paying his coaches etc.

Conor haters are so obsessed with him lol.

ive seen dana say since that conor is worth about 75 million. sounds like the ufc took half of that hundred and conor of course has his ufc earnings and money from sponsorship

It's not a stretch,
It's the second largest PPV of all time. It's said to have generated $700 mil in revenue (all sources)
What you think he rocked up to give the promoters the lions share?
No way. He got paid bank that is for sure.
Let's say he made $50 million, that in it's own right is incredible and fair play to the fella.

Just don't live in this dream world where a nice round figure like 100 million is plausible. As I said, Showtime, Dana White, WME, Ellerbe, Haymon, not to mention taxes, costs and all the rest of it. No way that Conor made $100 million dollars. You also forget that it's pretty well publicized that Team Mayweather negotiated a 70-30 split, so 200 million split between Conor, Dana, WME as an organisation, alongside the expenditures, simply no way that he made 100.

I only skimmed throught, and I thing you are forgetting one thing.

Floyd IS one of the corporate folk.

Actually, he is THE BIGGEST ONE, cause he was the A side.

So you should include Floyd in both the fighter side, and the corporate side and then the math is easier.

Long read so got halfway before it was boring and I had an opinion but I'd say its something like :
He made 150m but had to pay out 100m to various people/organisations.
Just a guess but see it being something along those lines.

Before Floyd fought Pac, they went to a Miami Heat game, then to Floyd ‘s hotel room.
They agreed on what percentage each of them would get BEFORE anyone else got their hand in there (promoters, ppv, cable companies, etc).
They both made a king’s ransom.

I would assume Floyd and Conor did something similar.

In a weird way, at that level, your opponent is also your business partner.

Floyd absolutely runs the show and does get the lions share, Everything is ran through mayweather promotions other than Al Haymon who has always been a sort of mythical figure that's only every been seen in the wild on camera a couple of times ever, Floyd refers to him as his "adviser" Nobody know's for sure exactly what their relationship consists of, but its clear from interviews over the years floyd has the upmost respect and loyaty towards him, Al Haymon is the guy who wanted floyd to retire, clearly not the advice of somebody who would be looking to make more money from him continuing to fight on, Any % Haymon takes from floyd will be fair. There are no other " big corporate folks" taking any % from floyd made he sure he was the one running the show ever since he left TopRank.

Connor on the other hand god only knows how many sharks and contracts are inplace raping every penny he makes, You can gurantee connor wasn't paid a penny from mayweather promotions, the UFC were and then the UFC paid connor. The UFC may very well have been been paid 100 million $, but connor didn't see close to that. Floyd wound't have negotiated a thing with connor, Him and dana were the ones who most likley sat down together over dinner laughing and joking about how much they were about to make bringing conor to the table.

You think Al isn't taking a 10-20% cut, if not more? That alone would be 70-140 million, throw that in with Ellerbe's money which would probably be slightly less (perhaps 10-15%) and you've already chopped almost half the money before paying Conor or Floyd.

You are forgetting that you are pulling those numbers out of your ass.

Floyd may have earned less than reported and Conor most definitely made less than $100 million.

Lol at Floyd "may have earned less" than 300mil and Conor "most definitely made less than 100mil".

Your bias is showing.

la-sp-mayweather-pacquiao-check-20161129

Boxing is world's apart in terms of popularity. With the promoters generally getting the back end. The ufc business model is totally different in that regard.

Promoters in major boxing events get the back end.

Look at al haymon and Eddie Hearns net worth. It's frigging peanuts.

Anthony joshua also gets the lions share, Infact hearn on record has said AJ takes every penny and HE pays matchroom. Floyd was on another level to AJ in terms of running the show.

Back