The Myth of Failing American Schools

luckyshot

Nazi Punks Fuck Off
Platinum Member
Reaction score
Many conservatives and Republicans use the “failing state of American schools” to malign teachers and teachers unions.

Even some Democrats fall into the trap of bemoaning the “sad state” of American schools.

Only one problem: it really isn’t true.

If American schools are failing, then so are Danish, Swedish, Austrian, Belgian, French, Spanish, Israeli, Icelandic, Italian, Czech, Dutch, etc.

Because these are countries whose scores we compare to.

FT_17.02.14_STEM_table.png

In science, our scores are grouped with countries like Norway, Belgium, Denmark, and Ireland. We are better than Sweden, Austria, Israel and Iceland.

In Math, we lag behind the top group by quite a bit, but our scores are grouped with Israel. Should Israel be apoplectic about its math scores? And by the way, don't they have a much smaller, more homogeneous population?

In reading, we are grouped with counties like the Netherlands, Belgium, Taiwan, Australia, Denmark, and Sweden. We are better than Switzerland and Austria,

I guess the question is how well SHOULD we be doing? I can't think of any reason we should be doing significantly better than those other countries I mentioned.

In fact, given our ethnic diversity, number of students who don't speak English, and income inequality, I'd argue that our public school system, if anything, outperforms its valid expectations.

For example, we rank 34th in life expectancy. So, hey, our schools outperform that bar by quite a bit.
rankings.ashx

The entire education system has been over hauled. Kids in elementary school are doing advance out of the box methods to add and subtract.

Teachers struggle teaching it and parents struggle with homework.

It's makes students and everyone frustrated.

The entire education system has been over hauled. Kids in elementary school are doing advance out of the box methods to add and subtract.

Teachers struggle teaching it and parents struggle with homework.

It's makes students and everyone frustrated.
A big part of the raeason for that is because so many people bought/ buy into the myth that our schools are failing— dumb ideas have consequences.

It's not a "myth" so much as a relative statement posed as a fact.

It's is absolutely true that the United States could improve its education system in some areas.

One problem is the federalist nature of education in the States, and how certain communities value their autonomy and their independence from subsidizing the development of others. Autocratic states like China can uniltaterally adapt their education to the changing demands of the international marketplace, while doing so in the United States has a considerable component of herding cats.

Looks like in science and math we could do a hell of a lot better.

We need to be near the top.

We are basically average when you look at that first graphic. We literally fall into the median of the median range.

Given the money in this country, companies like Amazon, MS, Google, and others calling this home you'd think we'd do better, especially in the more STEM orientated subjects.

@luckyshot I know we had discussions about this earlier so we don't need to rehash this or anything it just seems we are exceptional at being average.

Looks like in science and math we could do a hell of a lot better.

We need to be near the top.
That would be great, but just wishing doesn’t make it so.

As conservatives often point out, we face many demographic challenges that small homogeneous nations do not, and yet we perform on par with many of them.

Here’s my question to you: in what categories DOES the US rank among the top among OECD nations?

All I can think of is infant mortality, maternal complications, number of people without healthcare, preventable heart disease, etc.

Last edited:
A big part of the raeason for that is because so many people bought/ buy into the myth that our schools are failing— dumb ideas have consequences.

Tell that to a liberal, I don't think they know the word consequence ....

I was about to ask about how much we spend relative to others and then found this.

figure-cmd-3.png

Seems we underspend on pre-college education relative to other nations. On average with the OECD and we get average results for it.
https://nces.ed.gov/programs/coe/indicator_cmd.asp

That would be great, but just wishing doesn’t make it so.

As conservatives often point out, we face many demographic challenges that small homogeneous nations do not, and yet we perform on par with many of them.

Here’s my question to you: in what categories DOES the US rank among the top among OECD nations?

All I can think of is infant mortality, maternal deaths, number of people without healthcare, preventable heart disease, etc.

Let's see.

Best miltary.

1st amendment

Just to start with.

Some of the best hospitals and universities in the world.

It's not unreasonable for people in the US to want or even expect us to be near the top in education. However I don't have any idea how to fix it. My US education obviously failed me with fixing the education problems in this country.

It's is absolutely true that the United States could improve its education system in some areas.

One problem is the federalist nature of education in the States, and how certain communities value their autonomy and their independence from subsidizing the development of others. Autocratic states like China can uniltaterally adapt their education to the changing demands of the international marketplace, while doing so in the United States has a considerable component of herding cats.

What is you education? I'm just curious. You can PM me.

That list says we are below average at math. I don't think we should be happy about that

As are you. He seems too be much more compassionate about his fellow beings.

What gives?

We, lawyers, come in many different shapes and sizes. You can always find one to meet your needs. :)

As are you. He seems too be much more compassionate about his fellow beings.

What gives?
Not every lawyer is the bleeding heart/crying type you see in Law and Order.

A lot can be like this:

And some are just fucking stupid and you can't figure out how they even got into college for their undergrad.

People cry about the big government all the time, but a lot of what we wish our nation would accomplish would be a great deal easier with more centralization and standardization.

Back