The Most Impressive Bench Press Ever?

EL CORINTHIAN

Red Belt
@red
Reaction score
Skip to 4:00

Imo this has got to be the most impressive bench i have seen to date. I realize this probably isn't a world record, nor is it the most weight ever put up, but this dudes 154lbs and is benching 410lbs with a technique that is probably the hardest variant in terms of being disadvantaged (elbows flared way the hell out, feet and back completley flat). The strength-BW ratio is insect like.

What do you guys think?

Strong kid? Yes.

Most impressive bench ever? Not even close.

What do you think is more impressive than this? Genuinely curious

Sarychev's all-time world record.

Rahman just benched 672 at the Paralympics with no legs.

That's two, off the top of my head.

Sarychev's all-time world record.

Rahman just benched 672 at the Paralympics with no legs.

That's two, off the top of my head.

Rahman is a good call totally forgot about that guy. I realize it's a hard thing to convince people that this dudes lift is comparable to sarychevs record, so i wont even try. But for real bodyweight to strength ratio is off the charts and when you factor in his technique it makes it even more impressive. That's also why to me rahman is much more impressive sarychev, its the crazy disadvantages he has in comparison to sarychev who milks every ounce out of his technique, aswell as the whole no legs thing.

Like imagine this guy gained some more weight and did a proper powerlifting set-up.

Just watched a YouTube video of guys messing up and dropping weights on themselves and other weight room accidents. Some of those were pretty impressive.

Rahman is a good call totally forgot about that guy. I realize it's a hard thing to convince people that this dudes lift is comparable to sarychevs record, so i wont even try. But for real bodyweight to strength ratio is off the charts and when you factor in his technique it makes it even more impressive. That's also why to me rahman is much more impressive sarychev, its the crazy disadvantages he has in comparison to sarychev who milks every ounce out of his technique, aswell as the whole no legs thing.

Like imagine this guy gained some more weight and did a proper powerlifting set-up.

No.

Ultimately, while bodyweight to weight lifted ratios are important for a Wilks purposes and comparing lifters in different weight classes, you have to look at the number of raw benches over 700lbs and the number of raw benches over 400lbs.

There are a lot of 400lbs raw bench pressers out in the world, all with different body weights and techniques. But there's only what, 4 guys that have or can bench over 700lbs raw since 1996? It's just much rarer to see.

I suppose if you want to compare this guy to Kirill, you have to look at the closest weight class world records:

Bench Press (full meet)
Class Lift Lifter Country Year Fed

148 440 Kristoffer Hulecki Sweden 12/13/85 IPF

All Bench Press
Class Lift Lifter Country Year Fed

148 503 Roman Yeremashvili BLR 12/06/15 WRPF

He's 30lbs off the nearest full meet bench and 90lbs of the bench-only record. Whereas Kirilli is the only guy breaking his own records at the minute it seems.

For his body weight it's strong, but if you're talking best of the best he's not quite there yet. His bodyweight is right inbetween your typical 148 and 165 pound weight classes. I think as a 148er he would be pretty up there, but compared to the top 165ers he is not even close. Also not sure what he could do paused, which makes a huge difference IMO.

Most recently over the past 5-7 years or so there have been a surge of 165ers that have really taken it to the next level in raw benching. There has been half a dozen benching in the high 400s and a few breaking the 500 barrier. This doesn't even include the Paralympic or little people benchers that have done ridiculously crazy weight. There are many benching or have benched in the low to mid 400s raw near his bodyweight with a pause in competition.

Here is my friend benching 405x2 @ 165 with a pause.

He's done in the upper 400s raw in the past and is lifetime drug free. Keep in mind he is in his high 40s in this video with shot shoulders. I used to train with him from time to time back in 2005-2007 and he is a beast. If he didn't compete in a bench shirt for most of his career (multi-IPF world champ) I think he could have gotten close to 500 @ 165 raw.

I think he needs to get with the right guys and take his benching to the next level. Not to take away from this guys accomplishments though. He is definitely strong and has a lot of potential. Heck I couldn't even break the 405 raw barrier and I use to weigh 10 pounds heavier. I was damn close though....

Here are some of the best every 165 pound RAW benchers in the world (not including Paralympics or little people)
Rick Weil - 485 @ 165 (3-lift meet), 556 @ 181 (3-lift meet)
Joe Mazza - broke 500 raw
Stan Milostnoy - broke 500 raw
Joe Brewer - broke 500 raw
Daiki Kodama - 486 @ 158 raw (I think he's broke 500 raw in training)

I think if Maliek Derstine didn't keep going up in weight classes he could have possibly broke 500 raw @ 165 too. I think he's done like 525-535 @ 181 raw (3-lift meet). He recently bulked up and did 551 @ 197 raw in a 3-lift meet last month.

For his body weight it's strong, but if you're talking best of the best he's not quite there yet. His bodyweight is right inbetween your typical 148 and 165 pound weight classes. I think as a 148er he would be pretty up there, but compared to the top 165ers he is not even close. Also not sure what he could do paused, which makes a huge difference IMO.

Most recently over the past 5-7 years or so there have been a surge of 165ers that have really taken it to the next level in raw benching. There has been half a dozen benching in the high 400s and a few breaking the 500 barrier. This doesn't even include the Paralympic or little people benchers that have done ridiculously crazy weight. There are many benching or have benched in the low to mid 400s raw near his bodyweight with a pause in competition.

Here is my friend benching 405x2 @ 165 with a pause.

He's done in the upper 400s raw in the past and is lifetime drug free. Keep in mind he is in his high 40s in this video with shot shoulders. I used to train with him from time to time back in 2005-2007 and he is a beast. If he didn't compete in a bench shirt for most of his career (multi-IPF world champ) I think he could have gotten close to 500 @ 165 raw.

I think he needs to get with the right guys and take his benching to the next level. Not to take away from this guys accomplishments though. He is definitely strong and has a lot of potential. Heck I couldn't even break the 405 raw barrier and I use to weigh 10 pounds heavier. I was damn close though....

Here are some of the best every 165 pound RAW benchers in the world (not including Paralympics or little people)
Rick Weil - 485 @ 165 (3-lift meet), 556 @ 181 (3-lift meet)
Joe Mazza - broke 500 raw
Stan Milostnoy - broke 500 raw
Joe Brewer - broke 500 raw
Daiki Kodama - 486 @ 158 raw (I think he's broke 500 raw in training)

I think if Maliek Derstine didn't keep going up in weight classes he could have possibly broke 500 raw @ 165 too. I think he's done like 525-535 @ 181 raw (3-lift meet). He recently bulked up and did 551 @ 197 raw in a 3-lift meet last month.

Here he is doing 385lb paused. Thats the most i can find him doing, he has all sorts of videos on his channel. And your freind is an absolute monster holy crap. Im just taken back buy this dudes technique as well. its the least efficient bench technique with zero arch and completely flat. I would be very interested to see what this dude would be able to put up with a better set up.

Here he is doing 385lb paused. Thats the most i can find him doing, he has all sorts of videos on his channel. And your freind is an absolute monster holy crap. Im just taken back buy this dudes technique as well. its the least efficient bench technique with zero arch and completely flat. I would be very interested to see what this dude would be able to put up with a better set up.

Not everybody benefits from having a big arch while benching. There are plenty of very strong benchers like Hoornstra who benches with a relatively flat back.

Last edited:
Jennifer Thompson is another lifter I thought of who benches with a flat back. What I'm trying to say is a big arch is not necessarily the most efficient bench press technique. Comprende?

Jennifer Thompson is another lifter I thought of who benches with a flat back. What I'm trying to say is a big arch is not necessarily the most efficient bench press technique. Comprende?
Yea absolutely. I suppose considering ones leverages and limb lengths it may be better to bench that way. Jennifer thompson has godlike strength as well. Come to think of it she's more impressive than this dude. I stand corrected.

For whatever reason clarence & this guy are the youtube lifters that stick in my memory most, I like the way they go about it.

I don't think his setup is half bad at all. He is still retracting his shoulderblades, driving with his heels and his elbows are still directly below the bar. With his setup so called 'tucking' the elbows might throw off his leverages even more and not allow him to generate enough force off the chest. With a bigger arch and a more prominent depression of his scapula it may be more beneficial, but I don't think for his case.

Might not be the most impressive press EVER, but lol at all the people arguing against this lift being anything else than absolutely insane.

The dude is 154lbs walking around without cutting any weight, with a completely flat back and minimal leg drive, benching 410lbs without any gear or help at all in casual clothing as a part of his workout set. You'll have to be jaded as hell or part of some ATG group not to be impressed by that.

Come down from internet land with all time record breaking and the high horses and walk amongst the common folk you jaded mofos!

Thanks for the vid OP!

Might not be the most impressive press EVER, but lol at all the people arguing against this lift being anything else than absolutely insane.

The dude is 154lbs walking around without cutting any weight, with a completely flat back and minimal leg drive, benching 410lbs without any gear or help at all in casual clothing as a part of his workout set. You'll have to be jaded as hell or part of some ATG group not to be impressed by that.

Come down from internet land with all time record breaking and the high horses and walk amongst the common folk you jaded mofos!

Thanks for the vid OP!

Did anyone argue against it being an insanely good press?

The only thing up for debate is the title of the thread, which is incorrect.

Chill, brah.

Back