The most expensive words in boxing - "Let's get ready to rumble"

i was surprised to learn how little refs make per fight, I think Mills Lane was raving about making a record 10 grand for the second tyson holyfield fight, that's my memory but i could be wrong on that.

Underpaying officials can so easily lead to fixed fights.

You make 10k a night? Hell you're gonna take even 5k to allow a bit of holding on one guys part.

Underpaying officials can so easily lead to fixed fights.

You make 10k a night? Hell you're gonna take even 5k to allow a bit of holding on one guys part.
i'm sure it's happened, a ref can have a huge impact on a fight. I can't tell whether it's just a personal thing or something more sinister but refs are not always even handed, not even the best ones like Mills who allowed Gerry cooney to nutshot holmes a million times.

10k seems like pretty decent money for reffing a fight. 10 fights a year at that rate and you're earning more than the majority of the US..

10k seems like pretty decent money for reffing a fight. 10 fights a year at that rate and you're earning more than the majority of the US..
ya, but that was supposed to be some high water mark at that time, surprised me, i don't know what they make today.

ya, but that was supposed to be some high water mark at that time, surprised me, i don't know what they make today.

Kenny Bayless is one of the best in the game. They paid him 25k to ref the biggest fight in boxing history which was obviously Floyd/Pac. Now I don't know what the usual rate is but that is apparently the most a ref's ever been paid to officiate a fight. I don't know if he got any extra from the promoters it says in the article I read they have to pay the ref based on the total purse of the bout, but I don't know if he got anything on top of that 25k.

400 million just seems like a ridiculous amount of money because that's as much as Floyd himself is worth. He's just an announcer after all. Doesn't seem right that's he is worth as much as the best practitioner of the sport in recent times.

Nope. . . .The Buffer brothers company is worth at least that much. . . .Alot of it comes from lawsuits against ANYONE who uses that phrase in public.. . .I knpw of at least two out-of-the-way boxing promoters who each had to cough up $35,000 after their ring announcers used it.

i was surprised to learn how little refs make per fight, I think Mills Lane was raving about making a record 10 grand for the second tyson holyfield fight, that's my memory but i could be wrong on that.
Refs pay are set by the local commissions no matter how big or little the event is.

Refs pay are set by the local commissions no matter how big or little the event is.
i know nothing about that, i just remember it was some sort of record and because of the importance of that position, you'd think they'd maybe get more. on a sidenote, i seem possible signs of favoring all the time, i just re-watched tyson-holmes, cortez was on holmes' ass the whole fight and had his eyes on him the whole fight, it's human to favor one guy over another, but a pro is suppossed to put that aside.

Nope. . . .The Buffer brothers company is worth at least that much. . . .Alot of it comes from lawsuits against ANYONE who uses that phrase in public.. . .I knpw of at least two out-of-the-way boxing promoters who each had to cough up $35,000 after their ring announcers used it.
oh that's fucked up, michael looks so gay and innocent up there in the ring and he's a shark like everyone else.

Back