The more I think about Eddie and Conor

HunterBuusta

Stand and bang bro!
@Orange
Reaction score
The close it comes to the fight the more I try to analyze this fight. The more and more I think about the stats and after recently going through some old fight videos on both fighters - I see this fight as a 60/40 split in terms of how this fight will go. 60 in favor of Eddie and 40 in favor of Mcgregor.

- What we know about Eddie -

The general argument that I tend to see (and I am also very guilty of this) is that Eddie is a cardio machine and a beast of a wrestler. He's thick and carries 155 well and can impose his will on other fighters relatively easy. Pros of Eddie is we know he can control the octagon. He can pace himself well and plays his fights where he wants them to be. He can take shots and soak damage and recover from them. This is something that Eddie will need against Conor as we know that his left hand is a devastating weapon in his arsenal and his boxing and movement is on point until he gases (which can be said about any fighter). Eddie has decent hands and he throws kicks to the leg to slow down his opponent.
The problem I have with the first sentence that everyone likes to argue for this fight is that we don't see Eddie show those amazing wrestling skills that he says he has and everyone floats with when it comes to this fight. When I rewatched Eddie vs. Pettis the thing I noticed is yes, he pushed Pettis to the cage and did control him for a majority of the fight. What else did we get from this however? Eddie never got to punish Pettis on the ground. It was a lot of pushing his back against the cage and holding him where he wanted him to be. Holding him and making Pettis work. Pettis was able to stay up and save himself from getting completely grinded on. Also in the end 3rd round of this fight Eddie was getting sloppy and Pettis began to smack Eddie with some pretty good combos and capitalize on this.
Lets get to RDA vs. Eddie. I loved this fight and I picked RDA to finish Eddie in this fight. Eddie was being consistent but when he shot for his take down it was stuffed and to be honest I saw RDA being on another level then Eddie throughout this fight. Due to Eddie being able to counter on an opening however, we see that hard work pays off and Eddie becomes champ.
Points to know;
- Eddie can impose his will when wanted
- He has good recovery and can out cardio most fighters
- He has good reaction time and can capitalize on openings
- He claims to have excellent wresting but I have yet to see him hold someone on the mat yet
- He can be sloppy and his striking looks to fade at points
_________

- What we know about Mcgregor -
Lets revisit some of what we know that is obvious.
Conor is excellent at counter punching as well as utilizing kicks and punches that make him hard to read. at times. His striking is his best attribute and I won't argue that his stand up is next to none when it comes to most fighters. He has a left hand from hell and great reaction time and knows how to keep distance and has full control of range most to every time he fights. We all know that his ground game is very weak but he knows the general amount to keep safe. Jump back to the Mendes fight. A lot of nut huggers will always say "but he won" this and "a win is a win". What we saw was exposure. Chad was coming off the couch for that fight and still held Conor and beat on him that fight regardless of what anyone says. The only reason I saw Conor escape everything happening to him is A.) He was fighting a late notice Mendes and B.) He is a much bigger man than Mendes making it a little easier to pop Chad off him and finish the fight. I don't want to even include his flash KO of Aldo because we didn't learn much of his skill set from that fight. All his other fights prior to Chad except Max were easy style match-ups for him and were tailor made since he is a very big FW. So now Conor moves to 170 to fight Nate. What did we see. Conor was much heavier, obviously. He didn't respect the fact that he was at a larger weight class and tried to throw his technique around like he was still at 145. We all know what happened in the first fight. I am more interested to talk about his second fight. Knowing where he stood at a much larger weight he had to adjust to fight Nate again. He was still sloppy after round 2. He became flat footed quickly and the only way he could survive was to walk away and recover and wait for rounds to end to take a break. His punches weren't as fluent and although he had some nice knock downs the first and second against Nate, we can all see the holes in his cardio now.
Points to know;
- Conor has great boxing and stand up technique in general
- He knows how to stay in his comfort zone and use distance
- He stays fresh at a solid pace for at least 2 rounds.
- When he does gas he becomes flat footed and can't work his skill set to his advantage
- He has very weak ground game
- At a larger weight class he just isn't as crisp

My thoughts on their fight.

In my personal belief I think Conor will look good at 155. I don't think he will gas as easily as he did at 170. However I do think he will gas and it will be way earlier than Eddie will. From what I seen from Eddie he can recover great and knows how to hang in there. Although Conor can throw great combo's and can connect his left hard and accurately, I see Eddie surviving the storm. Eddie is a heavier man and if he gets on top of Conor it isn't going to be as easy to get him off as it was for Mini Mendes. Even if Conor can stuff Eddie's take downs I don't see him being able to push Eddie off of him against the cage or switch with him like he was with Nate on their second fight. Conor in my opinion will gas around round 3. I don't see a flat footed Conor doing well against Eddie's boxing and definitely not against his clinch and ground game. I think Conor has a 40% chance in this fight and that's if he can apply a left crisply and clean. If he can catch Eddie after that he might get the KO. I honestly see a punchers chance for Conor in that fight and although those have won fights I just don't see it against Eddie.

That's just my thoughts on everything. It's a broad overview and I skimped on some fights. I love Conor and I do think he is a GOOD fighter. If he beats Eddie I think I will finally credit more to him and look past some of his fans that look at him like he's a god. Until then I look forward to 205 and the results regardless of my general analysis. To the victor goes the spoils!

conor will throw a left hand, eddie will go down, the fight will be stopped.

you heard it here first

Sounds about right, although i'd be okay with 60/40 McGregor too... hell why not just settle with 50/50 and call it a thread?

clooney.gif

Let's not overanalyze this. <{JustBleed}>

The close it comes to the fight the more I try to analyze this fight. The more and more I think about the stats and after recently going through some old fight videos on both fighters - I see this fight as a 60/40 split in terms of how this fight will go. 60 in favor of Eddie and 40 in favor of Mcgregor.

- What we know about Eddie -

The general argument that I tend to see (and I am also very guilty of this) is that Eddie is a cardio machine and a beast of a wrestler. He's thick and carries 155 well and can impose his will on other fighters relatively easy. Pros of Eddie is we know he can control the octagon. He can pace himself well and plays his fights where he wants them to be. He can take shots and soak damage and recover from them. This is something that Eddie will need against Conor as we know that his left hand is a devastating weapon in his arsenal and his boxing and movement is on point until he gases (which can be said about any fighter). Eddie has decent hands and he throws kicks to the leg to slow down his opponent.
The problem I have with the first sentence that everyone likes to argue for this fight is that we don't see Eddie show those amazing wrestling skills that he says he has and everyone floats with when it comes to this fight. When I rewatched Eddie vs. Pettis the thing I noticed is yes, he pushed Pettis to the cage and did control him for a majority of the fight. What else did we get from this however? Eddie never got to punish Pettis on the ground. It was a lot of pushing his back against the cage and holding him where he wanted him to be. Holding him and making Pettis work. Pettis was able to stay up and save himself from getting completely grinded on. Also in the end 3rd round of this fight Eddie was getting sloppy and Pettis began to smack Eddie with some pretty good combos and capitalize on this.
Lets get to RDA vs. Eddie. I loved this fight and I picked RDA to finish Eddie in this fight. Eddie was being consistent but when he shot for his take down it was stuffed and to be honest I saw RDA being on another level then Eddie throughout this fight. Due to Eddie being able to counter on an opening however, we see that hard work pays off and Eddie becomes champ.
Points to know;
- Eddie can impose his will when wanted
- He has good recovery and can out cardio most fighters
- He has good reaction time and can capitalize on openings
- He claims to have excellent wresting but I have yet to see him hold someone on the mat yet
- He can be sloppy and his striking looks to fade at points
_________

- What we know about Mcgregor -
Lets revisit some of what we know that is obvious.
Conor is excellent at counter punching as well as utilizing kicks and punches that make him hard to read. at times. His striking is his best attribute and I won't argue that his stand up is next to none when it comes to most fighters. He has a left hand from hell and great reaction time and knows how to keep distance and has full control of range most to every time he fights. We all know that his ground game is very weak but he knows the general amount to keep safe. Jump back to the Mendes fight. A lot of nut huggers will always say "but he won" this and "a win is a win". What we saw was exposure. Chad was coming off the couch for that fight and still held Conor and beat on him that fight regardless of what anyone says. The only reason I saw Conor escape everything happening to him is A.) He was fighting a late notice Mendes and B.) He is a much bigger man than Mendes making it a little easier to pop Chad off him and finish the fight. I don't want to even include his flash KO of Aldo because we didn't learn much of his skill set from that fight. All his other fights prior to Chad except Max were easy style match-ups for him and were tailor made since he is a very big FW. So now Conor moves to 170 to fight Nate. What did we see. Conor was much heavier, obviously. He didn't respect the fact that he was at a larger weight class and tried to throw his technique around like he was still at 145. We all know what happened in the first fight. I am more interested to talk about his second fight. Knowing where he stood at a much larger weight he had to adjust to fight Nate again. He was still sloppy after round 2. He became flat footed quickly and the only way he could survive was to walk away and recover and wait for rounds to end to take a break. His punches weren't as fluent and although he had some nice knock downs the first and second against Nate, we can all see the holes in his cardio now.
Points to know;
- Conor has great boxing and stand up technique in general
- He knows how to stay in his comfort zone and use distance
- He stays fresh at a solid pace for at least 2 rounds.
- When he does gas he becomes flat footed and can't work his skill set to his advantage
- He has very weak ground game
- At a larger weight class he just isn't as crisp

My thoughts on their fight.

In my personal belief I think Conor will look good at 155. I don't think he will gas as easily as he did at 170. However I do think he will gas and it will be way earlier than Eddie will. From what I seen from Eddie he can recover great and knows how to hang in there. Although Conor can throw great combo's and can connect his left hard and accurately, I see Eddie surviving the storm. Eddie is a heavier man and if he gets on top of Conor it isn't going to be as easy to get him off as it was for Mini Mendes. Even if Conor can stuff Eddie's take downs I don't see him being able to push Eddie off of him against the cage or switch with him like he was with Nate on their second fight. Conor in my opinion will gas around round 3. I don't see a flat footed Conor doing well against Eddie's boxing and definitely not against his clinch and ground game. I think Conor has a 40% chance in this fight and that's if he can apply a left crisply and clean. If he can catch Eddie after that he might get the KO. I honestly see a punchers chance for Conor in that fight and although those have won fights I just don't see it against Eddie.

That's just my thoughts on everything. It's a broad overview and I skimped on some fights. I love Conor and I do think he is a GOOD fighter. If he beats Eddie I think I will finally credit more to him and look past some of his fans that look at him like he's a god. Until then I look forward to 205 and the results regardless of my general analysis. To the victor goes the spoils!

Mostly agree.
I do wonder if Conor is going to adjust his stance at all for a wrestler.He didnt do that for Chad and he didn't hesitate to throw a bunch of kicks either.
I'm curious to see if he Changes his stance/style at all to avoid the tds, or if he is confident enough in his style to have faith and not change anything.

Throwing any fancy/spinning shit could be a mistake. An upright feet spread karate stance might not be the safest either.
But then again I could be completely wrong and staying true to his style could be the smartest thing to do.

Good read TS.

A few points.

Conor will be at the same weight or at most a handful of lbs lower then what we saw from him in his last fights.

Cardio wise for his bouts at "WW" (lol it's actually LW with a very little cut) weight cutting drains your cardio a lot so when a LW gets to fight at WW guess what.. his cardio should be in fact better since no heavy draining.

Eddie's wrestling isn't elite or better said isn't at the level of top specialized guys but here's the thing it doesn't need to be.. Conor ain't much of a wrestler himself so Eddie will be fine to take him down is my prediction.

I still didn't forget what Mendes did to Conor wrestling wise and I didn't forget Nate Diaz winning the clinch and even scoring a takedown on him and the Diaz bros aren't the best in those areas and let's not forget about the physicality side of things were again Eddie will have the edge when they grapple (if skinny fat, lanky Nate made it competitive the stronger Eddie will surely edge him out).

Eddie is a smart fighter and comes with good game-plans and I'm sure his coaches are drilling and working on defenses to be ready for that Conor left power hand.

Back