The Michigan town where only Christians are allowed to buy houses

This is about as open and shut as it gets, imo. I can't imagine even the most conservative Federal judge upholding this as a legal restriction. It's a wonder it took so long to challenge.

This is about as open and shut as it gets, imo. I can't imagine even the most conservative Federal judge upholding this as a legal restriction. It's a wonder it took so long to challenge.
why would you want to move into a community where you are clearly not wanted?

Who knew? Can there be a religious exemption to discrimination?

I knew before I read the article that this is an HOA. HOA bylaws can surpass constitutional rights, so no you can't get them for discrimination. There are lots of 65 and older HOAs near me, which is legalized age descrimination.

And what would the post-Reformation form of Sharia you so fear be like, in your esteemed theological estimation?

Forcing people through gay conversion therapy, denying homosexuals equal rights, discriminating against home buyers based on religion, murdering doctors that perform abortions.

Oh wait, some American Christians already do that stuff.

everyone on top always oppresses everyone else. Read a history book.

Close indeed.

Everyone will oppress everyone given the chance and a lack of a stable society based on something more or less good.

History is by definition wolves in the forest looking for sheep of various types.

Christians have discriminated and oppressed other people since day one, so I am not surprised about that town.

It is almost as if humans are oppressive and cruel by nature.

I wonder if Christianity or other religions have anything to say about that.

But I am sure we can judge the almost universal good theories of religion made the pre-historic and early historic parts of the world much, much worse.

All that hope, honesty, and love blended into the social fabric of civilization no doubt made the world an utterly awful place.

All those notions of human rights, personal worth, right or wrong, democratic notions, Abolitionists, early civil rights advocates, and the endless, transformation good of those ideas should be rejected for not meeting the progressive standards of the last 50 years.

That any of those things exist but for Jesus, Confucius, Paul the Apostles, Buddha, Augustine, Lao zi, and other good minded men is of no consequence when judging moral and spiritual matters by the politics of the day... correct?

That all seems rather reductive and universally foolish.

The kind of thinking that reminds me of Lenin, deluded with his fantasies of what he thought man should be, was astounded and outraged people still wanted to believe something besides instant Utopian ideals based on the philosophy of the now replacing the bedrock of traditional virtues.

Forcing people through gay conversion therapy, denying homosexuals equal rights, discriminating against home buyers based on religion, murdering doctors that perform abortions.

Gay conversion? You really see most Christians having a progrom for that?

I doubt you know many Christians, and if you do, you might want to find new spiritual super friends to be honest.

Equal rights? You mean gay marriage, correct?

Things were kind of rational there until we made it to abortion doctor genocide. Want to revise that a bit my friend?

Sounds like atheist China except they want abortion when it comes to female babies.

Any examples?
wait, are you contradicting my point about oppression and general subservient treatment dished out by those in the catbird seat or are you just wanting to see a list of history books? If it's the latter, no. If it's the former, I'm all ears.

why would you want to move into a community where you are clearly not wanted?

If you're asking seriously, there could be a multitude of reasons. Simple location, school system, crime rates, distance to work, etc.

Fair Housing suits usually have plaintiffs trying to move somewhere where someone doesn't want them to.

This particular regulation has as close to zero chance as it gets of being upheld as legal. It'd be a 9-0 SCOTUS case with any foreseeable justice makeup.

Close indeed.

Everyone will oppress everyone given the chance and a lack of a stable society based on something more or less good.

History is by definition wolves in the forest looking for sheep of various types.

It is almost as if humans are oppressive and cruel by nature.

I wonder if Christianity or other religions have anything to say about that.

But I am sure we can judge the almost universal good theories of religion made the pre-historic and early historic parts of the world much, much worse.

All that hope, honesty, and love blended into the social fabric of civilization no doubt made the world an utterly awful place.

All those notions of human rights, personal worth, right or wrong, democratic notions, Abolitionists, early civil rights advocates, and the endless, transformation good of those ideas should be rejected for not meeting the progressive standards of the last 50 years.

That any of those things exist but for Jesus, Confucius, Paul the Apostles, Buddha, Augustine, Lao zi, and other good minded men is of no consequence when judging moral and spiritual matters by the politics of the day... correct?

That all seems rather reductive and universally foolish.

The kind of thinking that reminds me of Lenin, deluded with his fantasies of what he thought man should be, was astounded and outraged people still wanted to believe something besides instant Utopian ideals based on the philosophy of the now replacing the bedrock of traditional virtues.
could it be? Though I'd omit cruelty, I don't think it deserves a value judgement like that.

Hasids just got busted big time in my state stealing millions of welfare over the years.
One never hears about their high rate of welfare use and abuse of the system, but one hears a lot about how much welfare Blacks use.

If you're asking seriously, there could be a multitude of reasons. Simple location, school system, crime rates, distance to work, etc.

Fair Housing suits usually have plaintiffs trying to move somewhere where someone doesn't want them to.

This particular regulation has as close to zero chance as it gets of being upheld as legal. It'd be a 9-0 SCOTUS case with any foreseeable justice makeup.
No I know, I just wouldn't want to be around a bunch of people that against me for such a stupid reason.

Maybe you're not interested in the community, you just like the location.
I guess, I just can't imagine wanting to live around a bunch of people who will at worst look at you sideways for such a ridiculous reason.

I'd like to see how this goes. I can imagine some very narrow fact patterns that might allow this to be legal. They mostly center around this having been a Methodist camping ground. Maybe they incorporated certain things in really specific ways that lets them treat the overall tract of land as a single piece of religious property with subdivisions within it.

But even that is tough to sell to myself on if they're plugged into the overall Michigan government apparatus in every other way, including recording deeds for the properties and enforcing property rights against others.

wait, are you contradicting my point about oppression and general subservient treatment dished out by those in the catbird seat or are you just wanting to see a list of history books? If it's the latter, no. If it's the former, I'm all ears.
Honestly, I just want to know your favorite history book right now!

One never hears about their high rate of welfare use and abuse of the system, but one hears a lot about how much welfare Blacks use.

I think welfare abuse by Hasids is even worse because they know exactly what they're doing.

Generally, black people that might be accused of abuse just don't know any better.

Back