The Meyerowitz Stories (2017)

BisexualMMA

Don't Put My Name in the Name of Steroids!
@Titanium
Reaction score
Well, after the wave of Netflix-produced Adam Sandler bullshit of the last few years, and also everything Adam Sandler has done in the last eight or so years, I was reluctant to give this a try, but...

...the Adam Sandler from Spanglish, Reign Over Me and Click isn't quite dead yet. Somehow, he found it within himself to give a shit about a role and a movie he was in and he delivers his best performance in a good number of years, and one of the best ones of his career.

Dustin Hoffman is very good (no surprise) and Ben Stiller is also good in this one. I was prepared to bail ten minutes in if it sucked, like I did with Pixels, but they pulled this one off.

7 out of 10.

I guess don't put the last nail in Sandler's coffin quite yet.

Last edited:
Adam Sandler is the Erick Silva of comedic actors. Give him time.

Adam Sandler is cancer, he spreads and destroys every but of fun any movie could have

Well I haven't seen Meyerowitz yet, man, but I'd heard it was damn good. And, honestly, these are the types of movies Sandler should be making. I love Billy Madison and Happy Gilmore, but those are the movies that are fun to make in your 30s. If you're making shitty versions of that same formula as a 50-plus-year-old man, you're not going to find an audience for it.

We know Sandler is capable of serious roles so he should be seeking them out. We also know that because he can act, he can probably pull off normal comedies that fit a dude of a certain age.

I heard it’s good but Sandler so hard pass.

I feel like the truly good movies he’s been in like Punch Drunk Love are good in spite of him. In fact my theory is that was a vanity project or bet for Paul Thomas Anderson. Something along the lines of, “dude I’m so fucking awesome that I can make a good Adam Sandler movie.”

Well I haven't seen Meyerowitz yet, man, but I'd heard it was damn good. And, honestly, these are the types of movies Sandler should be making. I love Billy Madison and Happy Gilmore, but those are the movies that are fun to make in your 30s. If you're making shitty versions of that same formula as a 50-plus-year-old man, you're not going to find an audience for it.

We know Sandler is capable of serious roles so he should be seeking them out. We also know that because he can act, he can probably pull off normal comedies that fit a dude of a certain age.

I have to disagree with this a little, only because I think for example Leslie Nielsen is one of the funniest comedic actors I've ever seen, and he was old as fuck making a lot of his best work. And most of it's goofy and immature, nothing high-cultured about it, just hilarious. I think funny is funny at any age. Sandler's comedic nosedive wasn't because he aged out of anything, it's some other problem.

I have to disagree with this a little, only because I think for example Leslie Nielsen is one of the funniest comedic actors I've ever seen, and he was old as fuck making a lot of his best work. And most of it's goofy and immature, nothing high-cultured about it, just hilarious. I think funny is funny at any age. Sandler's comedic nosedive wasn't because he aged out of anything, it's some other problem.

Nielsen was great because his whole career was in melodramatic serious films and he brought that same energy to his comedy and it worked. "I just want to tell you both, good luck, we're all counting on you."

I'm a huge fan of Sandler in more dramatic roles. Reign Over Me was just perfection, and I actually really loved Funny People.

Back