The metal thread \m/

My hot take on the Emperor of Sand album - This is the best Mastodon album to date. Better than Blood Mountain, even.

I might even get inspired to start up Audioorbital again because of it, but we'll see how that goes.

My hot take on the Emperor of Sand album - This is the best Mastodon album to date. Better than Blood Mountain, even.

I might even get inspired to start up Audioorbital again because of it, but we'll see how that goes.

I'm waiting until the full album is released to listen, pretty excited though. The snippets I've heard sound like they are going a bit more of a metallic sound again, the last album was great but was essentially prog rock.

Them scientists better get to work on the time machine, because not seeing Tool live in their prime is a fucking travesty and it's the only thing i'm perpetually butthurt about in my life.

Not sure if this particular album is more in the vein of metal or if it should go in the screamo/hardcore thread. It has some sludgey chugging moments which I think of metal when I hear. You guys can decide.

Last edited:
Its got some nice Post Rock/Metal parts to it

I'm not a musician so I might sound dumb but it seems to me a little erratic. Some sludgey chugging moments that make me think of some metal genres but then it has lots of typical screamo/grindcore which I hear more in the drums. It's really lyrically dense too but I guess that could go either way.

Buy this masterwork ^ from Mustaine and Co. for metal dawgs who have yet to. Real talent on display here. Give Conquer or Die and Poisonous Shadows a listen if undecided; great tracks.

@22k, good work, brother.

<8>

Oh my lord the new Mastodon album is incredible. I'm going to listen again tonight but this may be their best one yet. People are hating on Show Yourself and saying it doesn't fit the album, but I love it. Steambreather is one of the funky metal grooves I've ever heard. And then you have these eargasmic songs like Andromeda, Sonic Breath, and Jaguar God. If you like Mastodon, listen to this album asap, and listen to it loud as fuck.

Oh my lord the new Mastodon album is incredible. I'm going to listen again tonight but this may be their best one yet. People are hating on Show Yourself and saying it doesn't fit the album, but I love it. Steambreather is one of the funky metal grooves I've ever heard. And then you have these eargasmic songs like Andromeda, Sonic Breath, and Jaguar God. If you like Mastodon, listen to this album asap, and listen to it loud as fuck.

I love Show Yourself, it gets stuck in my head really easily

I love Show Yourself, it gets stuck in my head really easily
It's been stuck in my head since I heard Brann sing the first line. Catchy as fuck.

Last edited:

Don't like Show Yourself that much. Buuuut everything else on there is gold. I saw Bill play the riff for Scorpion Breath a few years back I think, so I was happy to hear it on an album.

Back