The median age of UFC television viewer is 49 years old

I think what your seeing is the exact effect of having a very heavy internet based marketing/growth of your product through the years.

We don't turn on ESPN to get are MMA news for the day like many do for NFL or MLB for example. When you attract the internet savvy crowd they have the knowledge of how to access your content for free or through the internet. Not to mention they been condition to get there content a different way then generations before them. Probably also is for the partial blame of decrease viewership on TV ratings. People just access content differently today and though they can monitor viewership of feeds they have no system in place yet to figure out the demographics of who is streaming.

I truly believe MMA attracts a much younger crowd than 49 for the average age that the study showed and even in the article this basically say MMA is a very internet driven sport.

https://www.mmamania.com/2017/6/7/1...mographics-ratings-advertisers-fox-sports-mma
rahMEQRLfNvOMBojT0phkyIcAq0oeuN9pEhQnFRsVPkMKC2qno9JbR0lXcWhvxuiSkMku_K6U2d4Pi6tNLxN4YvKPdgT_-9LRLNMI-RwP4aD_vgj_utab1l3wN1I3ijh0Heb=w554-h265-nc

Yikes. This is why the sport is dying. We have too many old farts as the main demographic when the sport needs a younger audience to grow and prosper.

As one of those "old farts" I actually pay for events rather than stream it.

I was paying for events back in the dark days when the UFC was on the verge of failing

Fastest aging sport in the world? It's hard to fathom most of them having watched 25 years. More likely a mid-life crisis fueled adrenaline search. Or watching because your teenage kid badly wants to see the fights. Wouldn't have guessed 50. More like 25.

I bet curling or badmington has a younger demographic.

Back