The median age of UFC television viewer is 49 years old

The prime age to get people interested into cage fighting is when they're immature, love violence, and really dumb. That's ~ 14-19. That's when I got into MMA. That's when all these old farts got into it in the 1990s.

I disagree...try getting a 14 year old to sit through a grappling match

I hate to say it, but that's why the UFC created Conor McGregor. They need someone who could reach the younger demographic. That's why they let that dude do whatever he wants.

People here love to shit on the "TUF newbs". TUF started 13 years ago you old fucks.

FASTEST AGING SPORT IN THE WORLD
LOL @ MMA

uploads1512392148432-UFCTwitchStream03.jpg
no one recorded this shit louis? I couldn't find the video of his broadcast anywhere

The prime age to get people interested into cage fighting is when they're immature, love violence, and really dumb. That's ~ 14-19. That's when I got into MMA. That's when all these old farts got into it in the 1990s.

Young dumb meatheads aren't getting into MMA anymore. What changed?

You either have to pay $65 to see the good fights. Young kids don't do that.

Or you have to go to the bar. 19 year olds can't get into bars.

So you used to be able to watch fights and stuff on youtube to become fans of guys. Nope. Not anymore.

The sport's business model is designed to repel its natural fan base.
Good questions that you bring up. I think it is that once the novelty of 'no holds barred' wore off, people wanted new stars to gravitate to. Brock was a mega star, GSP was a star for Canada and Conor is kind of a global phenomenon that is huge in Ireland, the type that can pull new faces in world wide too. My cousin is a great litmus test; is a millennial that has heard of the UFC but does not watch it, has not heard of Ronda Rousey, Brock Lesnar or GSP, it he has heard of Conor McGregor.

I partly think the US is ditching the American youth and PPV market and is instead opting to build globally, in places like Russia, China, Europe and doing so with their fight pass model. This is evidenced by the tribal gear that Reebok uses, not separating the fighters by team, but by nationality. Tribalism is the lowest common denominator and they are taking a page from the book of the most popular sport on the planet, soccer/Futbol ⚽️ .

This has more to do with the fact that cable TV and the ppv medium is dying. I'm 33 and know of only 1 person who actually has cable TV my age. Come to think of it, that's only because he lives with his mom.

This just means that most of the young part of the fanbase are cheap fucks not willing to pay for it, they're watching but they're all streaming it, therefore aren't being considered in these "demographics ratings"
Exactly! What 20 year old living in his dorm had the $300 bucks for a premium cable subscription or the $65 for a PPV? All you have to do is know the right websites and you can watch anything. Young kids are much smarter - in certain ways atleast - than the older generation that got conned into serfdom and soft slavery.

Thing is, there now exists an infinite amount of entertainment out there. I am 32, and before the internet was readily available, there was only TV, radio, 8-bit consoles, and the fuckin Blockbuster lol. The world was a lot smaller back then when we were kids.

38 here. Last fight I payed for was Liddell vs Rampage 2. PPV is a joke, i stream that shit all day.

This just means that most of the young part of the fanbase are cheap fucks not willing to pay for it, they're watching but they're all streaming it, therefore aren't being considered in these "demographics ratings"

They're not charging Brazilian fans $65 per month ($780 per year)....on top of an existing $100 million/year TV deal, $10 per month Fight Pass, and that's not even factoring revenue from international TV licensing, tickets or merch.

US, Canada and Australia/NZ fans get raped financially. You've got to be over 40 to even afford to watch UFC semi-casually. No other sport follows this model. It's usually just TV and subscription, not monthly PPV. Pro-wrestling started that model and abandoned it years ago.

I'm see lots of excuses. The fact is the the mma fanbase is aging because it's not bringing in young people like it used to. That's why the sales numbers for UFC video games has also been massively declining. Mma was a fad that brought in a lot of people in a short amount of time through the 90s and early 2000s. Now not so much.

Not shocked by the number. Many who started following this in it's early days have stuck with it. That initial age group would have been in the early to mid 20s. Which would put them now at the mid40s to 50s which is where I place. People have come and gone over the years following the UFC. Some lose the patience for it when there isn't enough bloody all out brawls for their taste. That's what many in the 18-30 range look for. They look for the personalities. They look for the trash talkers and heel types. The older fanbase typically have a more stable income at their age will spend the money more readily to follow the sport. All this is what the UFC should've known long ago. Identify creative ways to expand their fanbase and be able to hold them and not lose them when someone like Brock leaves or like when Conor becomes inactive.

Old man here, last PPV I got was 217 because I had a few other oldies come by to watch...lol

I usually don’t stay up that late anyway and watch the events Sunday morning.

Also, watching sporting events tends to be a social thing, and younger generations are definitely more antisocial.

I'm 25 and I have exactly 3 people my age willing to watch it at a bar with me. Most of my friends watch mainstream sports like NFL, NBA, MLB or NHL and soccer when World cup is on

You ain't convincing me to pay 69.99 to watch Nunes headline a PPV.

Back