The Max profit PPV formula for the UFC

TheAnnihilator

Yellow Belt
@Yellow
Reaction score
It doesn’t take a math genius to figure out that the UFC could make 2-4x more money by cutting the PPV from 12 to 6.

Stack every PPV with 3-4 title fights. Stack it from the prelim to the main event and they will sell 500k to 1.5mm almost every time.

The PPV should be a truly premium experience. Some of these PPV cards have been watered down to C-grade levels.

Thoughts?

I’m sure they have a reason

How many non-Conor PPV's have reached the 1 million mark since 2010?

Sad to say but the only max profit PPV formula they've got is called McGregor

edit: I just looked it up, the answer is four.

image-drole-lavage.gif

I miss back in the day when there were only 4-5 PPVs a year, and those PPVs were generally stacked. Now even the main card on PPVs are generally watered down. Sometimes less is more.

It doesn’t take a math genius to figure out that the UFC could make 2-4x more money by cutting the PPV from 12 to 6.

Stack every PPV with 3-4 title fights. Stack it from the prelim to the main event and they will sell 500k to 1.5mm almost every time.

The PPV should be a truly premium experience. Some of these PPV cards have been watered down to C-grade levels.

Thoughts?
I don't know about cutting the PPV's that dramatically, but yeah, the best path is likely to cut down on the number of PPV's. They need to cut down on the number of divisions as well. Having divisions that fans don't care about is a really bad idea that weakens the whole product.

I’m sure they have a reason
Dana's reason for expanding the product and adding tons of divisions and watered down cards was that he thought it would make the UFC like the NFL. But the NFL actually has only one champion and one huge event each year. What Dana was actually doing was making the UFC like NFL Europe, with watered down product that no one wants to watch and which just wastes money and weakens the brand.

Why would any real MMA fan give a fuck about the UFC's PPV numbers or what their profit is? More fights means more fights for me to watch. I don't fucking care if any fake fans who came from the WWE only to watch Conor & Rhonda buys the shit or not. I want to see as many martial artist get into the cage and throw down as possible. The good ones will rise and the not so good ones will fall. Therefore, you can flush that BS right down the toilet.

They should save themselves the trouble and stop having ppv's. No one is buying them regardless of who's fighting.

I miss back in the day when there were only 4-5 PPVs a year, and those PPVs were generally stacked. Now even the main card on PPVs are generally watered down. Sometimes less is more.

They were stacked because with only 4-5 PPVs per year and a smaller stable of fighters, the same people fought every card. From 2001 to 2005, for example, Matt Hughes was on roughly every other PPV.

Maybe UFC will get popular enough one day for networks to pay up to air big time fights. There is a reason why all the other major sports orgs are not on ppv

Couldn't disagree more. I love weekly fights. Just because the fighters aren't household names, doesn't make the fights worse. Hell, more often then not, the bigger stars tend to fight safer making for less interesting fights.

What would be the premium dates they should use?

I like their November MSG cards, New years eve cards & July for international fight week cards. What other months could become marquee events for the UFC if they were to cut down ppv cards?

Whether it is half, they absolutely need to cut down the number of PPVs. They raise the price, again, and the quality is just not there for most of them.

The PPVs should be a special event where people get together and are excited for them. No more random people making their debut on PPV main cards. There's plenty of TV and prelim spots for that.

I feel you, TS
It is something people being saying for quit a long time and I used to think like that too
whats happened is that there is some really smart fellas taking the decisions and apparently they found out that they make more money selling a lot of shit PPV filled with underpaid fighters than with one big event that uses a big part of their best athletes...
I mean, i would love bigger and better events, but I think thats not the actual profit formula

Couldn't disagree more. I love weekly fights. Just because the fighters aren't household names, doesn't make the fights worse. Hell, more often then not, the bigger stars tend to fight safer making for less interesting fights.

Yeah, but these "weekly fights" don't have to be ppv's.

This is not how it works. People do not buy cards based on how stacked it is. They buy it based on the most popular nsmrs on the card.

They should be stacking the main card. Prelims people watch on cable.

Thoughts?

I'm glad you don't handle my money...

Back