The Man Who Invented Christmas - Charles Dickens writes A Christmas Carol (UPDATE: Saw it today)

G

Guestx

This is coming out at the end of this month and, as someone who is a big fan of A Christmas Carol--it's the greatest Christmas story ever told--I think it looks like a hell of a lot of fun.

It's loosely based on the book The Man Who Invented Christmas, but whereas that was a straightforward piece of biography, this is something else.

If you like Charles Dickens, or you like A Christmas Carol, this should interest you.

The greatest Christmas stories ever told are in Matthew 2 and Luke 2.

But yeah, I like A Christmas Carol.

I love A Christmas Carol, it's my favourite christmas story too, looks interesting!

I love A Christmas Carol, it's my favourite christmas story too, looks interesting!

I've read the book, I think, twice. I've seen three separate stage adaptations. And several film adaptations.

Of the film adaptations, I'd probably rank them thusly:

1951 with Alistair Sim
1984 with George C. Scott
1999 with Patrick Stewart / 2009 with Jim Carrey (tie)
1938 with Reginald Owen

Then you have Scrooge and Muppets Christmas Carol, but I have a hard time ranking them with the straight adaptations. They are in a category of their own.

I used to love the Disney cartoon version of it as a kid.

Just a heads up, this is out tomorrow!

Capture.png

This was one of my most anticipated films of the year and today I was finally able to check it out.

I walked into it with a little trepidation, thinking that I might be disappointed. In reality, it was a better movie than I expected it to be.

If you're a fan of:

1. Christmas movies
2. A Christmas Carol
3. Charles Dickens
4. Stories set in Victorian England

. . . then you should enjoy this film.

The movie is a fictionalized account of Dickens's life and the process of writing A Christmas Carol. However, while it's fictionalized, there's a also a lot of historical truth in the film.

It's seriously one of the most original, interesting movies I've ever seen and it will definitely end up in my Top 5 for the year.

8.5/10

Last edited by a moderator:
Back