The level of grappling knowledge in the heavies

Your average Heavies poster has either never grappled, or quit early.

Hell many didn't know Judo had subs before Ronda came along...and even then there was some explaining....
What are you talking about?

All of those Ronda armbars are from her training with the Whorian boys in Torrance.

What are you talking about?

All of those Ronda armbars are from her training with the Whorian boys in Torrance.

My favorite quote ever in real life from noob at the Judo club...

"Did you train BJJ before, because I never heard of Kimuras in Judo before....."

I get that he's partially correct.....and yes at least he bowed on the mat....no he never came back

Do you think all mike Tyson fans should have boxing experience?
all boxing fans, yeah.

not that i think they should in the sense that they can't be fans if they lack the experience, but why wouldn't you try boxing? you don't have to train every day and spar with pros, almost every gym i've ever been to has classes for people who don't want to get their face bashed in. a lot of people with day jobs train, it's an awesome sport and a great way to get in shape.

attending even just a few classes will give you some serious perspective on how difficult the sport is, which would cure a lot of the ignorance that's displayed in the heavies.

Again, I would love an explanation of how my post was ignorant, and how it's indicative of my lack of training.

all boxing fans, yeah.

not that i think they should in the sense that they can't be fans if they lack the experience, but why wouldn't you try boxing? you don't have to train every day and spar with pros, almost every gym i've ever been to has classes for people who don't want to get their face bashed in. a lot of people with day jobs train, it's an awesome sport and a great way to get in shape.

attending even just a few classes will give you some serious perspective on how difficult the sport is, which would cure a lot of the ignorance that's displayed in the heavies.

Dude, I was like 9 when Tyson was putting people to sleep.. I was a fan, but boxing is not somethings very comunly done in my country.. Yet most people knew who he was and at school everyone talked about him... How many boxed at school? Like none.

Last edited:
Dude, I was like 9 when Tyson was putting people to sleep.. I was a fan, but boxing is not somethings very comunly done in my country.. Yet most people knew who he was and at school everyone talked about him... How many boxed at school? Like none.

but were you a real fan, following the sport, forming and expressing opinions on how athletes were performing? or were you a fan in the sense that you saw him on tv once when he dropped some poor dude in 25 seconds and you thought it was really cool? i'm not talking about kids who can't name anyone other than their favorite fighter, we were talking about supposed fans of mma (or the ufc?) in the heavies, who talk mad shit and haven't got a single clue.

i'm not saying people who are fans do train, i'm saying i don't understand why they don't. it's really accessible in most parts of the world, people just never realize it's no big deal to do it for fun.

but were you a real fan, following the sport, forming and expressing opinions on how athletes were performing? or were you a fan in the sense that you saw him on tv once when he dropped some poor dude in 25 seconds and you thought it was really cool? i'm not talking about kids who can't name anyone other than their favorite fighter, we were talking about supposed fans of mma (or the ufc?) in the heavies, who talk mad shit and haven't got a single clue.

i'm not saying people who are fans do train, i'm saying i don't understand why they don't. it's really accessible in most parts of the world, people just never realize it's no big deal to do it for fun.

Most soccer fans around the globe do not play soccer after mid 20s.. But soccer is a religion. There is about zero woman's soccer in my country, yet there are many hardcore woman soccer fans... Just an example..

Most soccer fans around the globe do not play soccer after mid 20s.. But soccer is a religion. There is about zero woman's soccer in my country, yet there are many hardcore woman soccer fans... Just an example..

and for the third time, i'm not disputing the fact that most fans of the sport never try it. and i never did, even in the very first reply to your post. i'm saying it makes no sense.

and for the third time, i'm not disputing the fact that most fans of the sport never try it. and i never did, even in the very first reply to your post. i'm saying it makes no sense.
Your Saying it makes no sense for woman to be soccer fans? Is like Saying it makes no sense for females to be football fans, do you expect them to jump and play either sport?

I think if anything, guillotines are more complicated to apply than figure four chokes.
I agree to this concept as well. Yea, yea. Sure, anyone can grab a neck and squeeze. But to really have a rock solid set up, maitinenece, and finish is rather hard. I think the set ups to the other chokes seem harder at first, (and perhaps they are) but for me, require less upon lock up.

I'm afraid to change my avatar now. I've had it so long it's kind of become part of my account. Lol
True words, If I read some pretentious grappling comment, I immediately look for your guy! ;);)

Your Saying it makes no sense for woman to be soccer fans? Is like Saying it makes no sense for females to be football fans, do you expect them to jump and play either sport?
dude, please tell me you're fucking with me. do you even read my posts, or do you just skip through them with your eyes half closed?

why wouldn't women try soccer? plenty of women play it. why wouldn't they try football?

To be completely honest, in my country (Italy) football is the biggest sport around of course but not many (let's say almost none) women or girls ever play it even if an incredible amount of them are supporters too. I guess it's because rivalry and sense of belonging are too big compared to fight or individual sports... it's like it's more important you go to the stadium and/or support the club than whatever you really played the sport or not.. it's the same for males..

dude, please tell me you're fucking with me. do you even read my posts, or do you just skip through them with your eyes half closed?

why wouldn't women try soccer? plenty of women play it. why wouldn't they try football?

downhwre? Simple, because is not part of our culture. Women do not play soccer here, Simple as that.

Typically, ppl who have insight from participating are more knowledgeable and you'll get a deeper sense of detail from them.

Surface level (casual) fans will always find it easy to regurgitate whatever roganism they most recently agreed with, and with such assuredness that it verges on arrogance.

They're just loving it in the way that's most accessible to them, repeating rants they've heard from pundits/historians.

Everyone has a take. Those who train have the better take most of the time, but we gotta quit alienating the new kids with this snotty "Yeah well you don't even train, bro" shit.

You don't have to be a chef to know if your dinner was good or shitty.

Back