Nintendo The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild official thread

http://zelda.com/breath-of-the-wild/news/expansion-pass-dlc-pack-1-detailed/

The new Hard Mode sounds legit fucking terrifying on the grounds that...ENEMIES HAVE PASSIVE HEALING!!! In either case, all of this stuff is legit fucking cool since the Hard Mode actually sounds really interesting.

Edit:

Can't remember the name of the song except the part, "Life is good" followed by a guitar riff I think going like "na na na na". If anyone can post, please do so as even the power of Google isn't helping me here.

Last edited:
curious what it means to power up the Master Sword to full strength when you finish the cave of trials. Really hoping it makes it unbreakable but that's probably to much to ask.

I bought a Wii-U just to play this game and overall, I am disappointed. My thoughts...

+ Open world is great. It actually feels like the original game again.
- Shrines are not a replacement for more dungeons.
- Multiple types of melee and ranged weapons are not a replacement for special items.
- Weapon breaking is annoying as shit

This could have been a damn masterpiece if they had 8 or 9 actual dungeons and kept the special weapons like all previous games. I just find the weapons, food, and shrines to be tedious and not zelda-like. The fact that every shrine entrance and exit is exactly the same is boooooring and tedious. They shouldn't have changed the formula. We want 8 or 9 unique dungeons, nothing more.

How many special weapons do you need? Fire, ice, thunder rods. Hang glider. Tablet powers. Climbing isn't an object but it's essentially a power that radically changes gameplay for the better. Shield surfing. Clothing that had different effects. Bows that shoot different arrow types. Guardian powers. I mean we are basically just missing the hook shot and heavy boots.

I won't disagree that large dungeons would make the game better. But it's a lazy complaint. First because it's just a personal opinion that they are better than shrines and second you're just saying you want more. It's what people say about every game. Why aren't there more weapons, armor, quests ect. Well it's gotta be released at some point.

Zelda did a fantastic job at creating a world gamers can interact with. Woth finding koroks, shrines, doing quests, collecting items while discovering towns and exploring was beautifully and artfully done. They did what I've been waiting an Asian developer to do. Remembering their strengths. They brought imagination and wonder to an open world game. Dragons, the environment feeling alive, mystical enemies, strange characters. It's fun to experience.

Nintendo accomplished greatness in areas most gamers won't even be able to articulate. There's no big explosions or intense graphical jumps. They didn't rely on cheap tricks. In fact one of my big complaints is the final fight on the plateau. It Was almost schizophrenic. The whole game practised beautiful constraint that focused on gameplay. Then at the end they randomly threw in something you'd see from some garbage western game. A giant boss that is simply not fun to play against. They try to trick you into feeling it is epic. The same problem that plagued Gears of War two campaign. This game is for people sick of shit games built by the numbers. It's for people with imagination.

Its nearly on the same level as Spirited away. And some parts are. Kokariko village is a piece of art. Hetino is serene.

Last edited:
My kid's Switch came in today. Looks like I will be diving back into the land of Hyrule.

curious what it means to power up the Master Sword to full strength when you finish the cave of trials. Really hoping it makes it unbreakable but that's probably to much to ask.

Would make it a bit broken. I'd rather it be permanent 60 damage.

http://zelda.com/breath-of-the-wild/news/expansion-pass-dlc-pack-1-detailed/

The new Hard Mode sounds legit fucking terrifying on the grounds that...ENEMIES HAVE PASSIVE HEALING!!! In either case, all of this stuff is legit fucking cool since the Hard Mode actually sounds really interesting.

Edit:

Can't remember the name of the song except the part, "Life is good" followed by a guitar riff I think going like "na na na na". If anyone can post, please do so as even the power of Google isn't helping me here.

My prayers have been answered with the Korok Mask. I can finally have a shot to find all of them without using a guide.

The new armor sets all look awesome too. Hard mode will be really fun for my next playthrough, I'll end up dieing even more times now.

Also nice to have the different audio options now. Will probably try using the Japanese audio next time around to compare.

Would make it a bit broken. I'd rather it be permanent 60 damage.

According the the Link you posted that's what it seems like. They mention at the end the Master Sword will always be glowing, which is when it's at 60 atk.

Really can't believe there are so many people bitching about this DLC. Not here, but on the Gamefaqs board, I mean. I happily paid the $20 for the in game NS t-shirt armor, and the idea of a hard mode plus story update.

Now we get an idea of what the first update gets us:

1. Trial of the Sword
When you get to a certain sacred location, you can take on the new "Trial of the Sword" challenge. Face an onslaught of enemies, one wave after another. Link starts the challenge without any equipment or weapons. When all the enemies in a room are defeated, Link proceeds to the next. Clear all the trials (about 45 rooms in total), and the power of the Master Sword will be awakened, and it will always be in its glowing powered-up state while usable.

2. Hero's Path Mode
This new map feature shows the path Link has walked through Hyrule from the last 200 hours of gameplay. Use the time tracker bar to see where you've spent the most time and where you have yet to explore. There's bound to be more adventures and maybe a shrine or two on the road less traveled.

3. Hard Mode
In Hard Mode, enemies gradually regain health, so take them out as quickly as possible. All enemies are also powered up by one level. For example, Red Bokoblins in Normal mode are now Blue Bokoblins. Enemies can also have higher maximum levels than they would in Normal mode. Look up, and you may also find enemies and treasure chests in the sky!

4. Travel Medallion
Somewhere in the world, there is a chest with a Travel Medallion inside. When you use this, you can register your current location as a fast travel point on the map. You can only register one location using the Travel Medallion.

5. More Armor
There are 8 treasure chests placed around Hyrule containing armor themed after previous The Legend of Zelda titles. Watch for tips as to the whereabouts of these chests as you travel around Hyrule.
A. Majoras Mask
B. Midnas Helmet
C. Phantom Armor
D. Tingles Outfit
E. Korok Mask, which gives you a new power set.

Fuck me. That's WAY more than I expected for all of the DLCs and that's only the first of two. I've never had a valid opportunity to post "You sound poor", but I feel like it's appropriate for this.

I'm an old man. I've got 4 Children, a Wife, and a job that take up a lot of my time so I don't play a lot of games(I buy every Zelda, and Tomb Raider when they come out, and my daughter recently turned me onto Minecraft, but that's the extent of my gaming), is this a disappointment compared to other games DLCs? I feel like BotW is already pretty fucking massive, and well worth the $60 I paid for it, so pretty much anything extra I get will be worth it.

He'll, that's 5 more armor sets that they could have charged us $15-$20 each for in Amiibo form, but we get all of them with the $20 Expansion Pass.

According the the Link you posted that's what it seems like. They mention at the end the Master Sword will always be glowing, which is when it's at 60 atk.

I think if you can traverse 45 rooms of enemies with expanding difficulty then you deserve to have a permanent full powered Master Sword. Even though by that point you probably won't need it, because you'd presumably have multiple 100hp+ weapons, as well as being at the end of the game, but imagine all the new possibilities for challenge modes. You could make getting the MS and and completing that DLC as the first thing you do after you get off the Great Plateau, then using ONLY the MS to complete the Divine Beasts and the rest of the game.

Really can't believe there are so many people bitching about this DLC. Not here, but on the Gamefaqs board, I mean. I happily paid the $20 for the in game NS t-shirt armor, and the idea of a hard mode plus story update.

Now we get an idea of what the first update gets us:

1. Trial of the Sword
When you get to a certain sacred location, you can take on the new "Trial of the Sword" challenge. Face an onslaught of enemies, one wave after another. Link starts the challenge without any equipment or weapons. When all the enemies in a room are defeated, Link proceeds to the next. Clear all the trials (about 45 rooms in total), and the power of the Master Sword will be awakened, and it will always be in its glowing powered-up state while usable.

2. Hero's Path Mode
This new map feature shows the path Link has walked through Hyrule from the last 200 hours of gameplay. Use the time tracker bar to see where you've spent the most time and where you have yet to explore. There's bound to be more adventures and maybe a shrine or two on the road less traveled.

3. Hard Mode
In Hard Mode, enemies gradually regain health, so take them out as quickly as possible. All enemies are also powered up by one level. For example, Red Bokoblins in Normal mode are now Blue Bokoblins. Enemies can also have higher maximum levels than they would in Normal mode. Look up, and you may also find enemies and treasure chests in the sky!

4. Travel Medallion
Somewhere in the world, there is a chest with a Travel Medallion inside. When you use this, you can register your current location as a fast travel point on the map. You can only register one location using the Travel Medallion.

5. More Armor
There are 8 treasure chests placed around Hyrule containing armor themed after previous The Legend of Zelda titles. Watch for tips as to the whereabouts of these chests as you travel around Hyrule.
A. Majoras Mask
B. Midnas Helmet
C. Phantom Armor
D. Tingles Outfit
E. Korok Mask, which gives you a new power set.

Fuck me. That's WAY more than I expected for all of the DLCs and that's only the first of two. I've never had a valid opportunity to post "You sound poor", but I feel like it's appropriate for this.

I'm an old man. I've got 4 Children, a Wife, and a job that take up a lot of my time so I don't play a lot of games(I buy every Zelda, and Tomb Raider when they come out, and my daughter recently turned me onto Minecraft, but that's the extent of my gaming), is this a disappointment compared to other games DLCs? I feel like BotW is already pretty fucking massive, and well worth the $60 I paid for it, so pretty much anything extra I get will be worth it.

He'll, that's 5 more armor sets that they could have charged us $15-$20 each for in Amiibo form, but we get all of them with the $20 Expansion Pass.

I love Payday 2, but some of the stuff they charge for is bullshit yet you'll likely hear more complaints about it not being released on consoles than it's price. For what it adds to the game especially in terms of possible replay value, this is actually pretty fucking cool. Like starting a new adventure and running into more buffed up enemies or accidentally flying too close to skybound enemies and getting arrowed? And stuff like Trial caves are ALWAYS cool as fuck.

I think if you can traverse 45 rooms of enemies with expanding difficulty then you deserve to have a permanent full powered Master Sword. Even though by that point you probably won't need it, because you'd presumably have multiple 100hp+ weapons, as well as being at the end of the game, but imagine all the new possibilities for challenge modes. You could make getting the MS and and completing that DLC as the first thing you do after you get off the Great Plateau, then using ONLY the MS to complete the Divine Beasts and the rest of the game.

I love that idea. I might actually do that for my next play through.

Last edited:
How many special weapons do you need? Fire, ice, thunder rods. Hang glider. Tablet powers. Climbing isn't an object but it's essentially a power that radically changes gameplay for the better. Shield surfing. Clothing that had different effects. Bows that shoot different arrow types. Guardian powers. I mean we are basically just missing the hook shot and heavy boots.

I won't disagree that large dungeons would make the game better. But it's a lazy complaint. First because it's just a personal opinion that they are better than shrines and second you're just saying you want more. It's what people say about every game. Why aren't there more weapons, armor, quests ect. Well it's gotta be released at some point.

Zelda did a fantastic job at creating a world gamers can interact with. Woth finding koroks, shrines, doing quests, collecting items while discovering towns and exploring was beautifully and artfully done. They did what I've been waiting an Asian developer to do. Remembering their strengths. They brought imagination and wonder to an open world game. Dragons, the environment feeling alive, mystical enemies, strange characters. It's fun to experience.

Nintendo accomplished greatness in areas most gamers won't even be able to articulate. There's no big explosions or intense graphical jumps. They didn't rely on cheap tricks. In fact one of my big complaints is the final fight on the plateau. It Was almost schizophrenic. The whole game practised beautiful constraint that focused on gameplay. Then at the end they randomly threw in something you'd see from some garbage western game. A giant boss that is simply not fun to play against. They try to trick you into feeling it is epic. The same problem that plagued Gears of War two campaign. This game is for people sick of shit games built by the numbers. It's for people with imagination.

Its nearly on the same level as Spirited away. And some parts are. Kokariko village is a piece of art. Hetino is serene.

Different types of arrows and shields are not new for Zelda but taking away special items is actually a step back. Also the lack of an actual boomerang and slingshot is weak.

And yes, the shrines are worse than dungeons. They all start and end exactly the same and have very littlr difference other than the puzzles. How is that better than having 8 or 9 unique dungeons? Seriously.

Given how good the fights can be out in the world, I'm not bothered by the lack of dungeons. I get my fighting fix in just running around and exploring, and I get my puzzle fix in the shrines. The Divine Beasts seem to do a bit of both.

As for "no special weapons", I think the slate powers and the way they're integrated into the game are pretty awesome.

Eh, never thought about dungeons with the 120 shrines to tackle. I got a boomerang so IDK what that's about. It's all a step forward.

Different types of arrows and shields are not new for Zelda but taking away special items is actually a step back. Also the lack of an actual boomerang and slingshot is weak..

Which special items are missing from other Zelda games? Boomerang is there, all the different elemental rods are there. They're just items now.. the only one missing is the slingshot but meh..

Which special items are missing from other Zelda games? Boomerang is there, all the different elemental rods are there. They're just items now.. the only one missing is the slingshot but meh..

Boomerang is a weappn that gets destroyed the 3rd time you use it ajd doesnt even fly back properly.

I'd say the hookshot or it's equivalent or a grappling hook like in WW.

Boomerang is a weappn that gets destroyed the 3rd time you use it ajd doesnt even fly back properly.

Did you never find the big boomerang? It's larger, more powerful and last longer. As for the flying back properly I never had much of an issue with it. Granted I didn't use it that much but it was fun whenever I used it.

Back