Nintendo The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild official thread

The fact that the weather is dynamic, realistic, and actually affects your environment and what creatures are active shows the world is REALLY alive. Same for how npc's actually react to you flashing your weapon by them drawing theirs or glaring at you.

NPCs also all have their own routines they follow, and react to the weather. They also react to what you do. They respond differently if you're naked or if you're throwing a bomb near them or swinging a weapon. Hell they even try to talk you out of suicide if you're standing on the edge of a bridge and they walk by.

I love that the weather also makes you have to adjust your strategy. Have to avoid climbing steep slopes until the rain stops, but you can sneak around monster camps a lot better. Better hide during a thunderstorm if you only have metal weapons.

The entire world feels so very alive for being so vast and large.

Someone posted this in Reddit

SwV5wCy.jpg

I wonder if those were supposed to be descendants of the Minish from Minish Cap. I would have LOVED having them back. Minish Cap was such a great game.

I'm not quite as far as some of you but I wanted to share this story. I had done a fair bit of exploring, but didn't get the Sheika Tower in the zone that Kakariko village is in. I was near the stables so I boarded my horse and decided to start climbing the range to the west to look around. I scaled those bastards for about 40 minutes and couldn't find it. I decided to pack it in and head for a tower in another zone. So I start walking down a trail and after about 2 minutes, what do I see? The tower I want, what seemed like a thousand feet below me!

So I hop off and engage my paraglider. But once I'm over the tower, I realized I'm way too high, out of stamina and ate all of my stamina boosting food climbing the ranges! Completely fucked, I lined myself up as best I could and then let go.

Of course I fucked that up too and wound up directly over the hole in the floor you use to climb up to the main platform, so I fell down to the next platform.

tl;dr I love this game.

How are the side quests in this game? Are they interesting and varied? Hopefully not all fetch quests like Fallout 4.

How are the side quests in this game? Are they interesting and varied? Hopefully not all fetch quests like Fallout 4.

The ones I've done have been pretty varied. Some random ones I can remember off hand:

-Bring a boy different kinds of weapons you encounter on your travels

-Play hide and seek with a girl

-Destroy a gang of Bokoblins who are terrorizing a stable

-Save some stolen sheep from Bokoblins

-Fetch an old cookbook from Hyrule castle

-Find a rare white horse to show a stable keep

-Hunt deer in the woods for population control

The ones I've done have been pretty varied. Some random ones I can remember off hand:

-Bring a boy different kinds of weapons you encounter on your travels

-Play hide and seek with a girl

-Destroy a gang of Bokoblins who are terrorizing a stable

-Save some stolen sheep from Bokoblins

-Fetch an old cookbook from Hyrule castle

-Find a rare white horse to show a stable keep

-Hunt deer in the woods for population control

And some of those are just games and not sidequests proper. Sidequests vary between story progress related, shrines, and general. Story related ones are basically ones that explain the overall backstory and Link's past. Shrines are hints and legends about shrine locations and challanges involved with them including being marrooned on a deserted island with nothing on you except the shiekah slate. General are sidequests that involve favors, fetch quests, fights, and often reward rupees, but some actually reward you with horses, food items(and by extension recepies), rare items or weapons, or armor even. I don't think I've found any two quests that were exactly alike since the items are so varied as are the enemies and situations you encounter them in.

Now that I have the Master Sword, I converted 5 of my Hearts to Stamina and I feel like I can go anywhere now. It's a huge bump in stamina and it's like I glide forever, and with all my climbing gear at x2 I have the added set bonus where climbing jumps take less stamina, there is no mountain I can't scale.

Did some wondering around in Hyrule Castle, and it hit me how much I miss the good old dungeon. I love the open world in BotW, but I miss the dungeon crawling. Didn't want to come anywhere near finishing it since I have so much else to do, I was just poking around. Found a lot of great weapons/bows/shields, so can't wait to come back with more inventory space.

Found the Bowling mini game up at Pondo's Cabin and made a KILLING! Found a spot where you can get a strike just about every time, and if you were off a little bit you can clean up with a spare the next turn. I went from like 200 rupees to 4000 so I could open the 3rd Great Fairy and buy the house.

From the point of view of other developers, very interesting.

In this excerpt from The Game Informer Show podcast, BioShock's Ken Levine, Rez and Galak-Z's Jake Kazdal, The Walking Dead and Firewatch's Jake Rodkin, and Battleborn and ArenaNet's Aaron Linde share their thoughts on Nintendo's The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild and what stands out from a developer's perspective.

From the point of view of other developers, very interesting.

I echo their sentiments. This game is going down as my favorite game of all time. It's not even close. I didn't think it would be even possible because I've played such amazing games but here I am capable of saying with a resounding and definite affirmation. This is my favorite game of all time. I could never conclusively say that because it would be a group of games that hold the top spot in my heart but this game has solidly claimed the top spot. I am not even close to being done with the game yet. Lol

And they were talking about wishing Nintendo to make a metroid with this engine. *drool*

how many hours if you don't get sidetracked is the main quest?

how many hours if you don't get sidetracked is the main quest?

I have heard some people say 40-50 hours to get the main story line, less than an hour if you are a speed runner and go straight to the final boss after the plateau.

I have heard some people say 40-50 hours to get the main story line, less than an hour if you are a speed runner and go straight to the final boss after the plateau.
what are your chances of beating the final boss after an hour?

what are your chances of beating the final boss after an hour?

I have not watched the actual speed runs because I don't want any spoilers, but I assume the chances depend on how skilled you are at not getting hit. I would think it would be a 1-hit and you are dead sort of thing.

Did my first Divine Beat dungeon today. Vah Ruta in Zora's Domain. Some thoughts:

- Loved the opening sequence to get into the dungeon. Having to ride on Ridon then go up waterfalls to shoot the switches.

- The new 3D map design really took me by surprise. Pretty damn cool. I also like that you got to control the tusk.

- The spinning wheels had me raging for a bit. Took me a while to figure out how to get both the treasure chests and the transmitter switches on them. Felt really satisfying when I figured it out.

-Wish there were more classic dungeon elements though. Only had 2 enemies in the entire place, not counting the Sauron inspired eyes in the goo.

-Waterblight Ganon fight was awesome. One of my favorites so far. I was doing great and thought it would be a piece of cake, then he hit me once with a hard shot and I lost almost all of my hearts. Made me realize I was in for a real fight.

-The voice acting really adds appeal to those cutscenes. I got a lot of feels seeing how affectionate Mipha came across. Then her saying she wishes she could see her dad one last time was just sad. Awesome scenes, very impactful.

As if this game couldn't get better...

http://kotaku.com/how-to-build-an-airship-in-zelda-breath-of-the-wild-1793370556

How To Build An Airship In Zelda: Breath of the Wild

Move over, Final Fantasy—the newest Zelda has its own airship, and it won’t kill you every time you try to land. The only catch is that you have to build it yourself.

Here’s how to make your very own artisanal Breath of the Wild airship:

Step 1) Get lots of Octo Balloons (by killing Octoroks).

Step 2) Attach Octo Balloons to a raft.

Step 3) Fly.

Or just watch this video (h/t Sergej) to see Link soar through the skies like he’s always dreamed:

The game is incredibly addicting. I'll keep on saying to myself, "Ok, I'll stop playing once I get to this place", then find all sorts of other things I want to do along the way or once I get there. rarely will I ever pick up and [play a game for a couple of hours, want to stop, then sidetrack myself 5 hours later and lose sleep and be ok with that.

I'm actually stuck in this game, which I love. I can't remember the last time this happened.

Back