The Leftovers (HBO): Season 2 Discussion

I've given up on thinking I know what's going on next, too. But this season has introduced some new weird shit every other episode so far, so I'm starting to wonder how it's even possible for them to close all these storylines.

Either the subplots all magically get wrapped up into the main concept, or they end up leaving a lot of loose ends. Either way, these writers are setting themselves up for some lofty expectations.
Nah man. Those are good points you bring up. I agree, it will be interesting to see how they tie up all of these storylines.

I know this is an old thread, but I just finished watching the first two seasons of this show and I really don't know what to feel. It's so much like Lost, in that it never really answers anything, or if it does, it leaves more questions. Over the past few weeks, I've watched 20 hours worth of a TV show, and still have no fucking clue whats going on. For many, that's the appeal, but I can't stand it.

The first and second season left a lot of questions, and some plot holes.

When Kevin puts the dead dog in his trunk, only to have his daughter and her friends find it and bury it, nothing is ever said. Wouldn't he be wondering where the dead dog from his trunk went?

What was up with Dean, the gun-totin', tobacco chewing "guardian angel" ? Doesn't he owe Kevin a dollar? And what was up with those dogs? How does a dog get stuck in a damn mail box?

What's the significance of the National Geographic magazine? It's apparently so important, but is never explained.

I'm assuming Holy Wayne was just a trick/liar, knocking up teenage girls, pretending to be some kind of savior. But he still shows up in purgatory with Kevin and seems to still be relevant.

The Guilty Remnant are never explained. Why do they chain smoke? Why do they not talk? What is their end game? I understand they're supposed to be a "reminder", but I'm hoping this will be answered. It's become a running joke in the series that nobody understands them, and even asks these questions, with no answers being said. They're essentially terrorists. Tom's whole "will he/won't he" act of joining them was kind of annoying.

The Murphy family are full of assholes. After being incarcerated for attempted murder, John burns a man's house down for selling lies and nobody seems to care. Even his nurse wife is okay with it. Sheesh. Their daughter joins the GR for no apparent reason and helps destroy her own town. The grandpa is a child molester but is the good guy who helps Kevin get rid of Patti. The only one who seems *alittle* normal is the son, and we still don't understand what's going on with him.

What is the significance of the old man on the tower in S2? Virgil says he was a success story, but he saw Patti with Kevin.

And ofcourse, the departure itself.

The show kind of pisses me off lol. It's shot well, has dramatic tension, great acting, etc. but it reminds me too much of Lost. I know it's based off of a novel, but Lindelof is either going to wrap up all these questions in the third season, or he's going to yet again write himself into a corner and leave everything ambiguous. Which I guess some love, but I really find it to be lazy and intellectually insulting. Like, if the writer/creator doesn't know what's going on, then how will anyone else?

Back