The Last of Us: Part II (Release: 29.05.2020) - No spoilers

Are you excited for The Last of Us Part II?

• Yes, I'm excited.

• No, I'm not.

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Why wouldn't Joel being a playable character make sense in the context of this new game? How would a few years take you out of the immersion?

Besides, he's in his 50's, not his 90's. There are tough motherfuckers in the real world, who are in their 50's. It's not really an issue.
being playable is fine, but the story doesnt really center around him and given that, and his age, it would be weird for him to be the main character is what im saying.

being playable is fine, but the story doesnt really center around him and given that, and his age, it would be weird for him to be the main character is what im saying.

How do you know what the story centers around? It could very well center around him. Naughty Dog isn't stupid. They know how popular Joel's character is. To make him some footnote in the story, wouldn't be wise. I think we'll be getting a healthy dose of Joel in the game.

Heres the thing about Joel being in the sequel.
Dudes old as fuck by now.

In TLOU he had a 12 year old kid before the world went tits up. assuming he became a dad at an early age, like 18, He'd be 30 when the plague hit. So add 20 years and the dudes 50 at the start of the main game.
by the beginning of TLOU II, Joel is like 56/57 AT THE YOUNGEST. Little old to be hopping through windows getting into brawls and shit.
He's 55 because the game takes place 5 years after the start of the first game. Still got that old man strength, though.

I think prime Joel would be a GOAT contender right now

but even old man Joel can still kick plenty of ass

I don't know exactly when it's going to be released, but hopefully it's this year. I believe The Last of Us is the best game ever made and I hope Part II lives up to the first. So are you guys pumped for it?

I believe The Last of Us is the best game ever made and I hope Part II lives up to the first
{<redford}

ND never disappoints, I hope they dont ruin the MP with bloat like the uncharted series. UC2 was nearly perfect, and the later iterations were worse. TLOU they struck gold in nearly everything.

TBH I just can't get into ND games. They're very well made, but I just don't enjoy the gameplay

Naughty Dog is a top tier developer, I’m looking forward to this one.

No, I'm still angry they made it.

The narrative ending to the first one was one of the greatest flourishes of storytelling I've experienced in any medium in my life. It was perfect. Greed driving the existence of the sequel dishonors and cheapens that hollowing resolution.

The narrative ending to the first one was one of the greatest flourishes of storytelling I've experienced in any medium in my life. It was perfect. Greed driving the existence of the sequel dishonors and cheapens that hollowing resolution.

Can you elaborate? Im just curious what aspects of it were so effective for you. I loved the game.

I couldn't get into the first game for some reason. Got halfway through and wasn't feeling it, which is weird cause I love the Uncharted series.

There's a lot more they couldve told with that story.

The game isnt out, I just dont see why youre judging it so harshly. They could completely outshine the first one, like theyve done with Uncharted 2. The DLC was also fantastic, there's a lot more they can do and tell.

Alien didnt need a sequel, but the sequel is arguably better, and imo, is. It could also bet worse than the original, but we just dont know, but with NDs amazing track record, Im excited to find out.

There's a lot more they couldve told with that story.

The game isnt out, I just dont see why youre judging it so harshly. They could completely outshine the first one, like theyve done with Uncharted 2. The DLC was also fantastic, there's a lot more they can do and tell.

Alien didnt need a sequel, but the sequel is arguably better, and imo, is. It could also bet worse than the original, but we just dont know, but with NDs amazing track record, Im excited to find out.
I don't need the game to be out to see a perfect ending violated out of financial interest.

I would react the same way if Hollywood announced a Shawshank Redemption II.

It's a slap in the face.

With as excellent as the first game is it does seem difficult for a sequel to live up to it, but I remember having a discussion on another message board with someone who felt similarly regarding a third season of Hannibal. He didn't want them to make it because he thought Season 2 was perfect. I think Season 3 has some of that show's best moments, so while there is something to be said for stopping a story at an undeniable high point in terms of quality, I'm going to give the creators the benefit of the doubt and see what they have in store for us.

I also don't mind just ignoring sequels that don't live up to their predecessors: the last few Dune novels.

I don't need the game to be out to see a perfect ending violated out of financial interest.

It's a slap in the face.

But the original is still there, you dont need to play the second if you feel that itll affect the ending that you already have.
Hell you could play it, and easily ignore it, if it doesnt satisfy you.

You can be angry about it but would it be warranted if TLOU 2 turned out to be the GOAT.

But the original is still there, you dont need to play the second if you feel that itll affect the ending that you already have.
Exactly. I'm way ahead of you. This is why I'm irritated, ignoring it, and am not excited for its release.

Exactly. I'm way ahead of you. This is why I'm irritated, ignoring it, and am not excited for its release.

I am still trying to wrap my head around this...

I mean some people would say Godfather I was perfect but then they went ahead and made Godfather II and totally smashed it out of the park.

Prejudging it before anyone has reviewed it is a bit crazy. Why don't you wait till the reviews come out before passing judgment. if the majority of the reviews come and and state this is as good or better than the first would you change your tune? Not even giving it a shot before it's even out is kinda weird non?

Then again it's like me with every Metal Solid after the 2nd one. I was sooooo piissed with that shit ending I swore off MS games from then on. But I am going to try this Death Stranding if the reviews are great...

It's a slap in the face.

Different mediums. A sequel to a videogame can work, even if it's story elements seem unnecessary. Where you might not get a story that is up to par with the original, you'll still get gameplay mechanics and upgrades in other departments that can far surpass the original. You could miss out on a lot.

As for your movie comparison, would you have skipped out on "Aliens", because "Alien" was perfect and didn't really need a sequel? Or how 'bout Godfather 2?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back