The Last of Us: Part II (Release: 29.05.2020) - No spoilers

Are you excited for The Last of Us Part II?

• Yes, I'm excited.

• No, I'm not.

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm also not a fan of interactive cutscenes which are used throughout the game. When I have a controller in my hand, I expect it to work. Nothing annoys me more than a cutscene taking over my game without a very good reason. Just give me some dedicated controls and let me play bro.

I did enjoy the world they created but I'd rather see a new IP.

It's a stealth game though. You're supposed to be an ordinary guy who's a bit of a badass, not Kratos. I can't remember many situations where you were absolutely forced to fight.

I tried stealth as much as humanly possible just to avoid the melee but there are several areas where you have to deal with mobs.

Because you weren't. You can pretty much sneak and choke your way through the entire game if you want, minus some scripted events.

The combat worked fine. I'm guessing kidbaize didn't like the clicker insta-kills though.

Yeah the clicker instakills were annoying because sometimes you could successfully melee them and sometimes you couldn't, and there never appeared to be any reasonable explanation for the difference.

Because you weren't. You can pretty much sneak and choke your way through the entire game if you want, minus some scripted events.

The combat worked fine. I'm guessing kidbaize didn't like the clicker insta-kills though.

There are a couple of areas that throw you into straight combat but not many. And once you learn the mechanics it's a breeze getting through guys.

Have you guys watched any speedruns? I'm not the only one who gets frustrated with the arbitrary deaths in this game.

I tried stealth as much as humanly possible just to avoid the melee but there are several areas where you have to deal with mobs.

I wouldn't say several. Pittsburgh has a few. The escape from the college. I think the combat flowed incredibly smoothly. Stay behind cover, bottle a guy in the face, run up and instakill him. Grab another guy close to you, break your board over him and finish him with a stomp. It was visceral and always kept you on your toes.

Yeah the clicker instakills were annoying because sometimes you could successfully melee them and sometimes you couldn't, and there never appeared to be any reasonable explanation for the difference.

Yes there is. If you don't have a shiv they're going to kill you if you attack them with anything blunt.

Have you guys watched any speedruns? I'm not the only one who gets frustrated with the arbitrary deaths in this game.

No but I've played through the main story probably 10 times. And every time I died I knew why. Felt far from arbitrary.

I wouldn't say several. Pittsburgh has a few. The escape from the college. I think the combat flowed incredibly smoothly. Stay behind cover, bottle a guy in the face, run up and instakill him. Grab another guy close to you, break your board over him and finish him with a stomp. It was visceral and always kept you on your toes.

Yes there is. If you don't have a shiv they're going to kill you if you attack them with anything blunt.

Which button controls hitting him with a board and which controls the foot stomp? Both square, right? You didn't control anything in that sequence except initiating a scripted melee attack. It merely looked smooth and flowing. QTE's are just scripted animations. Nothing could be less rewarding than a series of blows that you have no direct control over.

Even with a shiv it doesn't always work. How many times do you tap square? Do you have any idea or just mash until he's dead?

I'm not trying to be a dick. I just really dislike QTE's and button mashing combat. I find it almost unbearable.

I'm not trying to be a dick. I just really dislike QTE's and button mashing combat. I find it almost unbearable.

Yeah I always turn off QTE if it's available.

The combat was a bit clunky I agree. Didn't distract me from completing the game tho.

QTEs were awesome, in God of War.

Since then, 95% of QTEs are more of an annoyance.

Which button controls hitting him with a board and which controls the foot stomp? Both square, right? You didn't control anything in that sequence except initiating a scripted melee attack. It merely looked smooth and flowing. QTE's are just scripted animations. Nothing could be less rewarding than a series of blows that you have no direct control over.

Even with a shiv it doesn't always work. How many times do you tap square? Do you have any idea or just mash until he's dead?

Absolutely I did, my melee attack button controlled that sequence. That sequence could have been interrupted at any point by anything. You're classifying that as a QTE? Strange. Playing Dark Souls I use square the vast majority of the time. It takes me through the exact same move set every single time when I'm using the same weapon.

It just honestly sounds like you didn't get the mechanics down very well. How many times you hit the attack button to kill an enemy depends entirely on what weapon you have. Seriously, I picked this up last night without playing since last year and wiped out a group of hunters in the first Pittsburgh area with little to no trouble on hard. The combat is intuitive and smooth, if you know how to use it.

Case in point, you not knowing how or when to use shivs or melee weapons against a Clicker. If you have a shiv that's at full durability you can always defend yourself against one. Or you can choose not to waste one and die. If you decide to engage in a melee fight without one, you're going to die unless you've upgraded the weapon with a spike at then end.

I think it would be a pretty awesome twist to play as some of the guys in David's camp. Maybe play some characters that lead a rebellion...a rebellion that is brutally and violently quelled in the finale. Fits in with the downer thing, after all.

I would hate if they did that. I want to continue Joels story. At the same time I'll take either one though.

i would not mind seeing another 20 year skip, Joel is dying, dies, and Ellie has to deal with the reality and possiblities regarding her condition again.

You know most of us will reserve/buy this sequel. First one was too damn good.

What scares me is that it won't(can't) live up to the expectations of the first game. The emotions the first game created for me just can't be replicated again so easily. They're going to have to get creative with this...

You know most of us will reserve/buy this sequel. First one was too damn good.

What scares me is that it won't(can't) live up to the expectations of the first game. The emotions the first game created for me just can't be replicated again so easily. They're going to have to get creative with this...

They've continued to knock the Uncharted games out of the park, one after the other.

I don't think anyone is putting out the quality of games ND is right now. If anyone can pull it's off, it's them.

Absolutely I did, my melee attack button controlled that sequence. That sequence could have been interrupted at any point by anything. You're classifying that as a QTE? Strange. Playing Dark Souls I use square the vast majority of the time. It takes me through the exact same move set every single time when I'm using the same weapon.

It just honestly sounds like you didn't get the mechanics down very well. How many times you hit the attack button to kill an enemy depends entirely on what weapon you have. Seriously, I picked this up last night without playing since last year and wiped out a group of hunters in the first Pittsburgh area with little to no trouble on hard. The combat is intuitive and smooth, if you know how to use it.

Case in point, you not knowing how or when to use shivs or melee weapons against a Clicker. If you have a shiv that's at full durability you can always defend yourself against one. Or you can choose not to waste one and die. If you decide to engage in a melee fight without one, you're going to die unless you've upgraded the weapon with a spike at then end.

agreed with this.. combat took a bit of time to get used to but once you figured it out it was very solid. I always knew the reason for messing up if I died.

Not a fan of the first game but it was an okay stealth 'em up

If I was in charge I'd tell them to rip-off TWD/ME to an extent with dat branching dialogue. That + the already solid gameplay mechanics would be money. But then I'm in a small minority of assholes who hated both Joel and Ellie

They haven't finished Uncharted yet so I wouldn't expect it any time soon.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Freddie556
Back