The Last of the Mohicans (1992) (Spoilers)

Fuck yeah, this movie fucking rocks! Check out the movie "Black Robe" if you like the Last of the Mohicans.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0101465/

Been a while since I seen it, but theres a good amount of violence, and really captures the vast unforgiving landscape that would have been north America at the time... there's also some good fuck scenes in the movie as well.

The Last of the Mohicans is one of my favorites, if not my favorite movie ever. 10/10 from me.

GOAT ending scene for me. Everything about it from the music, the acting, action - perfect.

Not viewable in the US

But completely agreed. That sequence from the moment Magua pleads his case to the final moment, perfect. So much loss.

Also, dude who plays Uncas is fucking gorgeous.

I was fortunate enough to watch it on the big screen. Didn't know much about it but it had indians so I checked it out.

Since I didn't know much, the twist and turns completely kept me glued to my seat along with the bad ass action scenes and terrific score.

Felt bad for Hawkeye's bro. Only if he waited a couple with his family, he probably would've made it. But that's what made the movie awesome too - they worked as a group but did their own shit if they wanted too.

Mmm, I don't think so. There was an ending speech, but it was about letting Uncas join the council fire. I believe the final line was about how Chingachgook is the last of the Mohicans.

Director's cut. It's on the DVD I got in a dual pack with Fight Club lol. Better ending, imo.

Yes, no doubt, we all are born and die. My question is, do we live again in some conscious form? Or is this one earthly life all that's granted to us?

Good question. IMHO, it would be a bit of a rip-off if not. Having to endure a human life, and living a good one despite it's inherent hardships and the stacked deck that's forever against you, should entitle a toiler to some after worldly pleasures - that, or at the very least, some more adventures to go on and experience in some other form.

Yeah, that was a good scene. Though a little horrifying when immediately after the tribal leader wants to marry Alice off to Magua and burn Cora alive.

Spoils of war, and Magua had a blood vengeance against her father. Not at all uncommon for the natives to assimilate captured women.

I like how they portrayed Magua as showing some confusion in response to Alice's suicide. He doesn't get it, doesn't understand. Subtle but wonderful way of showing the contrast in cultures.

Looks at her as she plummets like "wtf?..uh ok" then just keeps it moving. LOL. Magua is wild.

It's interesting you bring that up since it was the soundtrack that lead me to finally watching the movie. I watched Cliffhanger a few nights ago and learned that the soundtrack for Cliffhanger was done by the same guy, and apparently he was accused of more or less just rehashing the main theme of Last of the Mohicans for the theme of Cliffhanger.

That put Last of the Mohicans into my mind and I was like, "Well, I guess it's time to go ahead and watch that one."

Universe was telling you it's time to watch this movie.

Did not know that, going to have to check out that Cliffhanger score now.

Not going to tell you the two in film mess-ups I know of. You'll just have to rewatch the film sometime and keep a keen eye (minor prop/filming slip-ups, nothing crazy).

Last edited:
The other thing that watching that scene reminded me of is how there is NO DIALOGUE. No last monologues, no grand speeches, no hate filled diatribes. Everything is conveyed wordlessly. The way that all four of the main characters to die in those last few minutes brings death upon themselves but does so with acceptance in their own way. Powerful shit.

Just watched this one for the first time.

Of course I've known of the movie's existence since it was released, but for whatever reason I never saw it. And going into it tonight, I really knew almost nothing about it. I knew that it had Daniel-Day Lewis and had something to do with Indians and that's it.

In fact, I had forgotten it was directed by Michael Mann, so when his name came up I was like, "Oh yeah, I'll be damned. This is a Michael Mann movie."

Overall I thought it was pretty good. It was confusing to start. You have the British and the French and two different Indian tribes and it took me a minute to figure out who was who and what exactly was going on.

I also was confused about why Daniel-Day Lewis was an Indian. My initial assumption was that Mann was trying to pass him off as a real, legit native of these lands and I was shaking my head. But then it comes out that he's supposed to be adopted and that made more sense.

But once the picture came together regarding who everyone was and why they were doing what they were doing, I was good.

I felt like the movie REALLY got going after the British are removed from their fort. The ambush where the British get treated like they're targets in a shooting gallery was the first scene where I really sat up and was like, "Oh shit." While the movie was certainly solid up to that point, that was a genuinely great scene.

5902fb489ef990002190507b24f.gif

The scene in the canoes right after that was also good, engaging stuff, and the film also really starts opening up around this point and showing off the lushness of the land. Filmed primarily in the Blue Ridge Mountains of North Carolina, this is what people mean when they say "God's country."

Regarding casting, there weren't many big names, surprisingly. There was DDL, who wasn't even well known at the time, and that's about it for major star power. However, I felt like everyone did a good job in their roles and it's always interesting to see Native Americans on screen because we see them so rarely. (Longmire, BTW, is a great show which showcases several talented Native actors.)

I do want to mention a few more specific plot points:

Major Heyward . . . that dude's kind of an asshole! But when you see him being burned alive you gotta feel for him and be like, "Well, maybe he wasn't such a bad dude after all. This is not a good death for him."

When Alice jumps to her death that was pretty sad. Pretty sad AND seemingly unnecessary considering the cavalry was right around the corner. But hell, maybe she had just had enough of life at that point.

"No, girl! Don't do it!"

Mo2bb634.gif

And finally, I have to mention Magua. He's an interesting character. Savage and vengeful, but when you hear his backstory, you have to have at least a little sympathy for him. No wonder he's pissed.

My one major complaint is essentially a technical one: For whatever reason, everyone involved with this project frequently seemed to act like they didn't know how to pronounce their words. I don't know that I've ever seen a film with so many mumbling motherfuckers who don't know how to enunciate. About five minutes in I realized I was missing a lot of the story because I couldn't understand half of what people were saying and I had to turn the subtitles on. I'd be curious to hear if others had this same problem.

But as a whole I enjoyed this film and I'm pleased to finally check it off the list. It seems a bit of a strange project for Michael Mann, who often seems most at home shooting in the big city, but he did well with it.

8/10

@BearGrounds, where you at? This one's for you, buddy!

What about the last of the Moricans???

Good question. IMHO, it would be a bit of a rip-off if not. Having to endure a human life, and living a good one despite it's inherent hardships and the stacked deck that's forever against you, should entitle a toiler to some after worldly pleasures - that, or at the very least, some more adventures to go on and experience in some other form.

Yeah, I think it comes down to the question or whether or not there's meaning and purpose to our existence here--some grand plan which is simply not clear to us yet--or if the materialists are right and we're just here by accident, floating ever-so-briefly in the sea of time.

Spoils of war, and Magua had a blood vengeance against her father. Not at all uncommon for the natives to assimilate captured women.

Yes, but that sucks. Especially for Cora and Alice!

I like how they portrayed Magua as showing some confusion in response to Alice's suicide. He doesn't get it, doesn't understand. Subtle but wonderful way of showing the contrast in cultures.

Looks at her as she plummets like "wtf?..uh ok" then just keeps it moving. LOL. Magua is wild.

Ha, yeah, I noticed that.

That guy is terrifying.

Universe was telling you it's time to watch this movie.

Did not know that, going to have to check out that Cliffhanger score now.

Just judging by what I heard while watching the film, it's pretty damn good.

Apparently the whole thing is on YT:

Not going to tell you the two in film mess-ups I know of. You'll just have to rewatch the film sometime and keep a keen eye (minor prop/filming slip-ups, nothing crazy).

Ha, all right, I'll have to keep an eye for those next time.

It's up there with Heat as one of Mann's best films.

The Last of the Mohicans is one of my favorites, if not my favorite movie ever. 10/10 from me.

GOAT ending scene for me. Everything about it from the music, the acting, action - perfect.

One of my favorite movies and quite possibly my favorite scene of all time. One of the very rare times where I loved both the book and the movie.

Top notch flic

Prime Madeline
kick ass soundtrack
violence
Mountains

what more could you want ?

Epic ending because of all the shit that went down and fantastic movie soundtrack. As to your statement about DDL not being well known at all, its not all true since he had won the best actor award for My Left Foot 2 years prior

Epic ending because of all the shit that went down and fantastic movie soundtrack. As to your statement about DDL not being well known at all, its not all true since he had won the best actor award for My Left Foot 2 years prior

Yeah, I thought about that after I posted. But I left it since he definitely wasn't the major star that he later became.

Last edited by a moderator:
One of my favorite films ever. When i was a kid my dad came back from the cinema ranting about it and telling me how awesome it was but then turned around and told me I wasn't aloud to see it. 6 months or so later it was my older brothers bday, while everyone's playing outside he sits me down and makes me watch it on video. This is the only thing ill never forgive him for, he has said if he wins the lotto he'll book out a cinema just for me to watch it hahaha

Pretty impactfull on me started my love of tomahawks, started to me collecting custom hand forged tomahawks which led me to the world of custom knives, which then led me to forging and making my own knives as a hobby

Back