The Last Emperor is one of the greatest films ever made

Lvnvmma

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
So many memorable scenes in the movie. This one in particular scared me when I was a kid. This movie opened up the "Forbidden City" to the world. I'm actually surprised they let them film inside the palace walls.

So many memorable scenes in the movie. This one in particular scared me when I was a kid. This movie opened up the "Forbidden City" to the world. I'm actually surprised they let them film inside the palace walls.

Best scene is when Werdum arm bars him.

I was expecting a movie about Fedor.

The actor who played Puyi, John Lone, is a fabulous actor, but after just a handful of gigs, he disappeared off the face of planet.

GlumBigheartedKawala-small.gif

Never saw it all through to be honest but have wanted to for a long time. The fact that the film won every Academy Award it was nominated for 9 for 9 I think, always stood out to me.

I did think the ending was pretty spot on great though- where PuYi talks to the kid about the throne and convinces him he was emperor.

Then

The tour group where the guide just gives a very brief listing of a couple of facts about his life and that's a wrap. Always struck me as kind of fitting and sad the way that the film's final moments there reduce the guy's life to a mere asterisk- last emperor crowned. Pretty sobering in that the movie shows his life to have run the gamut from the throne to puppet regime leader to prisoner to obscurity. But the upbeat interaction with the youth gives a bit of optimism.

I remember seeing bits of it as a kid when my parents were watching it. I was of course bored since it didn't have dinosaurs or explosions. I might have to properly watch it now.

It's one good looking flick. What happened to Italian directors? They all move to Jersey and lose touch?

Last edited by a moderator:
The Wet Nurse when he was a teenager was pretty fly.

Great film indeed. Shows that anyone can go from hero to zero.

I'm amazed at how many people HAVEN'T scene this movie. It won 9 categories at the Oscar's, including best picture.

This movie is beyond epic in scope.

Would be better with a butter sodomy rape scene.

the cinematography in this movie was astonishing. Get the Criterion bluray to enjoy it in its proper glory.

All i remember is the kid shitting turds in a pan.

Back