The Last Battle of Atlanta

Thai Domi

Silver Belt
@Silver
Reaction score
I searched the forum and couldn't find where anyone posted it, so here is The Last Battle of Atlanta - Tommy Rich vs. Buzz Sawyer in a cage with a roof on it, 23OCT83.

Paul Ellering is suspended in a cage 20' over the floor of the Omni. Ellering has to face Ole Anderson if Rich wins.

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/327030-the-last-battle-of-atlanta

@Pliny Pete if anyone already posted this and I missed it, it was probably you. Sorry for the repost if you did.

I'm pretty sure this was never posted
Theres been some cool things that popped up recently on the Hidden Gems section
I hope they keep searching and finding old stuff like this in the vault
I still gotta see the Ric Flair vs Buddy Rogers Battle Of The Nature Boys

Funny that less than 2 years later Ole, along with Arn and Ric, would break Dusty's leg in a cage in that same venue.

Tag me if you ever post this. Probably the only grail holier than Rich-Sawyer!

Some of the title verses title bouts would trump Flair/Rogers.

• Bob Backlund defending the WWF belt against Ric Flair NWA US Champ in Maple Leaf Gardens
  • Backlund (WWF) vs. Nick Bockwinkel (AWA) MLG
  • Hulk Hogan (WWF) defends against Canek in Mexico (only time Hogan defended the title outside of the territory)
  • Ric Flair (NWA) vs. Bob Backlund (WWF) 1982 @ the Omni ( I know there is no footage of this bout, but I wish there was)

Rich/Sawyer was a letdown after 25+ years of hype. I liked Ellering/Ole more.

Funny that less than 2 years later Ole, along with Arn and Ric, would break Dusty's leg in a cage in that same venue.

Oh yeth he did babeh but Ive recouperated and am stronger than ever daddeh

Some of the title verses title bouts would trump Flair/Rogers.

• Bob Backlund defending the WWF belt against Ric Flair NWA US Champ in Maple Leaf Gardens
  • Backlund (WWF) vs. Nick Bockwinkel (AWA) MLG
  • Hulk Hogan (WWF) defends against Canek in Mexico (only time Hogan defended the title outside of the territory)
  • Ric Flair (NWA) vs. Bob Backlund (WWF) 1982 @ the Omni ( I know there is no footage of this bout, but I wish there was)

Smart move doing cross promotion matches with Backlund. Legit enough to keep shit from getting pulled but stand up enough that he would be professional out there if a promoter suggested otherwise.

Smart move doing cross promotion matches with Backlund. Legit enough to keep shit from getting pulled but stand up enough that he would be professional out there if a promoter suggested otherwise.

His book is a pretty good read on the inner workings of the business; a lot better than most wrestling books I've read in that regard in terms of how it affected the champion and the booking philosophy of Vince Sr.. Backlund discusses in detail about showing up to the Omni to face Ric Flair and something not feeling right, to the point where he called Vince Sr. who then in turn had a conference call with various members of the NWA board who agreed they would not record the bout in the event of a double-cross -- which could happen any number of ways.

Backlund was once a contender to be a potential NWA champion along with Terry Funk, but because he was more of a pure babyface at the time it would have been difficult for him to work all the different territories as a tweener. But yeah, you needed a mix of the legit skills to protect the title, be entertaining enough, a draw to a certain degree, have the experience to see bad situations potentially develop and stop them.

Back