THE KNICK on Cinemax

DoomAndDarkness**

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Didn't see a thread dedicated to this new show yet. I've been enjoying the hell out of it. For those who haven't seen it yet here's the synopsis from wikipedia.

In New York City in 1900, the Knickerbocker Hospital operates with innovative surgeons, nurses and staff who have to overcome medicinal limitations to prevent staggeringly high mortality rates. Dr. John Thackery (partially based on historical figure, William Stewart Halsted[2]), the newly appointed leader of the surgery staff, battles his cocaine and opium addictions with his ambition for medical discovery and reputation among his peers. Dr. Algernon Edwards, a Harvard-educated, European-trained black surgeon (partially based on the historical Marshall Taylor[3][better source needed] ), must fight for respect within the all-white-populated hospital, as well as the racially-charged city. While literally struggling to keep the lights on, the hospital attempts to attract a wealthy clientele, without sacrificing quality care.

It's a pretty well acted show, Clive Owen is great as is Andre Holland even if his character unfortunately has been written as a Mary Sue with a little bit of 'magical negro' mixed in.

If you like period pieces, I strongly recommend. If you liked From Hell, then this is right up your alley.

[YT]08V4RHGuGqE[/YT]

The theme song is also the stuff of legends.

[YT]Qg4QKb8IJG0[/YT]

Last edited:
good show ,I have been watching all of cinemax on demand catalog since O was working nights the last year,I watched "hunted",banshee,strike back,and am watching the knick, cinemax is making good shows,better than hbo this year true detective season 2 sucked.

Lol at Dr Mays. Good to see Beth survived getting shot in the head. :icon_chee

I saw two of the three episodes they were showing on HBO this weekend. I loved them and I was glad to see that the Black doctor wasn't taking any crap from anyone. I don't have Cinemax though...

Looks pretty good. Will dvr and give it a shot

It's very well made, and I like watching it, but I'm a little frustrated by the progression of the story so far. That happens to me at this stage of many series though. I felt the same way about season 1 of the Wire and True Detective, and they both rewarded further viewing. But, I don't have Cinemax, so I'll be waiting for HBO to show the remaining episodes after the first three, somewhere down the line.

His sexy ass little southern accent nurse???

Nurse Elkins is so great.

Fucking love this show BTW. I've asked other people about it and they don't know what I'm talking about.

Yeah, it's terrible. Sometimes the greatest shows get very little attention. The Knick is one of those. (Halt and Catch Fire, another show I really like, is another.)

Anyway, I'm fucking PUMPED about season 2. Bring that shit on!

Fucking love this show BTW. I've asked other people about it and they don't know what I'm talking about.

Yep I often feel like head of public relations for The Knick and Narcos, they should pay me a dividend or something.

Saw only the first episode.

I liked it and the music was very good indeed.

I like it ok so far, but the story needs to speed up.

I think the show would be good even without the black doctor, why is he even necessary unless he ends up helping later in the show (he is not really doing shit right). I think he will with what might happen to the doc that was suppose to get his position.

spooooiiiilllerrrrrr

I think the white doc will come down with something from touching that rat bite guys legs. Either that or the daughter will because they made it a point to show him playing with his kid and sticking his fingers in her mouth. Then the black doc will save his or his daughters life.

Also it seem like that nurse wants clive owens ****, she keeps following him around.

Pretty good show

I like the dirtbag ambulance guy the best.

Nurse Elkins is so great.

Yeah, it's terrible. Sometimes the greatest shows get very little attention. The Knick is one of those. (Halt and Catch Fire, another show I really like, is another.)

Anyway, I'm fucking PUMPED about season 2. Bring that shit on!

october 16 is season 2 ,got my camo snuggie ready
camosnuggie.jpg

^nice catch, I forgot about that part with the little baby.

Cool show so far. My gf is studying to become an NP and has done some classes on nursing history. She says the portrayal of medicine back then fairly accurate. It's brutal to think about all the trial and error surgeons had to do to arrive at today's modern medicine practices. In 100 years, doctors will look at what we are doing today and think WTF.

speaking of cinemax shows.I was just watching season 3 of banshee the clay burton vs longshadow fight was shot incredibly well, so was the heist near the end of season three on camp genoa using body cams and go pro cameras.

I would post vids but I think they would violate rules here due to how ultra violent banshee is.

^nice catch, I forgot about that part with the little baby.

Cool show so far. My gf is studying to become an NP and has done some classes on nursing history. She says the portrayal of medicine back then fairly accurate. It's brutal to think about all the trial and error surgeons had to do to arrive at today's modern medicine practices. In 100 years, doctors will look at what we are doing today and think WTF.

Evidence based medicine, aka the practice of medicine as an actual science, instead of a combination of received wisdom and apprenticeship, has really only taken off since the 1990s.

While medicine has come a long way since the early 20th century and we can do some amazing things, one of the things we're better at now is appreciating how little we know about human biocomplexity.

In 100 years, doctors will look at what we are doing today and think WTF.

Reminds me of that Star Trek episode where they go back to modern times and a doctor is giving someone a shot. McCoy says something about how barbaric it is penetrating the skin like that.

Awesome show. In fact, I'd say it's be most intriguing and well-made new show we've gotten this year.

For those who are current:

1. Goddamn, I just might be in love with Nurse Elkins. Loyal, devoted, caring and beautiful while also being intelligent and independent. She's great.

2. Ping fucking Wu! Holy shit! I just about jumped out of my seat when he went straight ninja in the finale. "I can read from left to right. Not just up and down."

3. Even though he's been a dick to Algernon, I kind of feel bad for Gallinger at this point. His whole life has been torn away from him. And I especially feel bad for his wife. Taking her fucking teeth was just a horrible insult to injury.

4. Algernon is a really interesting character. I don't think they could've gotten a better actor to play him.

5. I guess in S2 "Cocaine Thack" is going to graduate to "Heroin Thack." Honestly, I'm not sure how interesting that is.

Just a heads up: Season 2 has started!

This is one amazing show that is going under the radar.

Awesome show. In fact, I'd say it's be most intriguing and well-made new show we've gotten this year.

1. Goddamn, I just might be in love with Nurse Elkins. Loyal, devoted, caring and beautiful while also being intelligent and independent. She's great.

2. Ping fucking Wu! Holy shit! I just about jumped out of my seat when he went straight ninja in the finale. "I can read from left to right. Not just up and down."

3. Even though he's been a dick to Algernon, I kind of feel bad for Gallinger at this point. His whole life has been torn away from him. And I especially feel bad for his wife. Taking her fucking teeth was just a horrible insult to injury.

4. Algernon is a really interesting character. I don't think they could've gotten a better actor to play him.

5. I guess in S2 "Cocaine Thack" is going to graduate to "Heroin Thack." Honestly, I'm not sure how interesting that is.

best show on tv. If it were on hbo, this thread would be a hundred pages.

Spoilers 1-4 amen

Spoiler 5 we shall see. But as long as they don't change directors, I would bet anything it will be entertaining as fuck.

Premier was really good. The dad is a creeper for sure.

This is the best show on tv imo.

Agreed on spoilers. Looking forward to seeing more of Ping Wu.

Absolutely amazing show. Amazing acting and characters.
I'd say pretty much tied with True Detective for best first season of a TV show, ever. In my opinion at least.

best show on tv. If it were on hbo, this thread would be a hundred pages.

Yeah, I was pretty surprised by the lack of conversation about this show. Don't people realize there are more ways than one today to keep up with today's television environment! I haven't had cable for years and I can still stay on top of whatever new shows are worth watching.

Spoiler 5 we shall see. But as long as they don't change directors, I would bet anything it will be entertaining as fuck.

Yeah, we'll see. Gotta have faith in the creative crew here.

Ma knickas!

Excellent show! Marathoned the first season.

Season 2 episode 1 is out.

I watched the first five episodes of the show while it was airing, but then I was like "this isn't a show I can watch weekly; I must watch more than one episode at a time" So I've waited a while, and now I'm marathoning season one, and hopefully s02e02 will be out by the time I catch up. It really is one of the best executed shows on t.v right now—the dialogue, the set design, the music, the acting: it's all top notch.

Absolutely amazing show. Amazing acting and characters.
I'd say pretty much tied with True Detective for best first season of a TV show, ever. In my opinion at least.

You might be right. I loved TD, but in some ways I'd probably have to say that I loved The Knick even more.

Awesome start to S2. Glad this show is FINALLY back on the air. It seems like it has been forever.

TV's best kept secret? Probably so.

But as long as they don't change directors, I would bet anything it will be entertaining as fuck.

You probably already know this, but I just wanted to make sure you knew that S1 was directed by Steven Soderbergh.

I was a little disappointed in season 2's premier, but I guess it did its job of getting Thack out of the gutter and somewhat back on track. Cornelia's storyline is so blah. I hope she dies.

Glad TS was banned. Wouldn't be surprised to see him make another account though.

Not too happy with the new season. They've really liked Thack the quack's likability imo.
End of episode 2 seems like he's going to start using again.

I fucking love binge watching. After I finish the Borgias, I'm going to Binge watch this.

I actually was wondering why he was banned. I mean, this thread at least seemed perfectly reasonable to me.

It probably wasn't from this thread. He's a known race troll in the WR. I guess the mods were finally fed up.

This show is the best filmed show on Television. The camera angles and lighting is amazing.
Episode 2 was much better than 1

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Freddie556
Back