The Jordan Peterson Thread - V2 -

You make some good points here. I think one of the reasons Peterson is having such a impact is he's speaking to a unreached people group so to speak. What he's saying is mostly not new to people that go to church so it's interesting but not epic concepts.
I go to church with Antiochian
Orthodox Christians that have no problem with evolution and continuously engage in discussion concerning the latest in science/psychology. Lawyers, and professors of different stripes make for a good potluck along with some Guinness.

My neighbors father, Tristram Engelhardt, is sharper than anyone that's ever posted in the war-room, (not to mention his grandkids) by miles, and one reason why I lol every time I read some no nothing saying religion is stupid.

He flies over 20,000 miles a year debating bio ethics so he's always up on the latest science. I showed these guys some of Peterson's work but his field is old news to them let alone the arguments against him. I told them his method can be useful to reaching skeptics but these guys already are destroying Dawkins fanboys on a regular basis.
Maybe part of the issue is whether the ideas someone is presenting are truly new and also whether or not ideas that aren't truly new are being presented in a fashion and in a way so that new audiences can reach them. With Dr Peterson, his ideas in psychology can certainly be considered new ideas, or at least some of them can, but when it comes to topics outside this, in particular religious doctrines and their relation to modern progress, his ideas seem so riveting because they present a genuine intellectual outlet for an audience numbed to the usual Biblical literalist vs Dawkins purist noise. When it comes to modern social developments, there's an audience so used to seeing established intellectuals rehash the same arguments that they become famished for intellectual discourse; Dr Peterson can take present them old ideas and it's tantamount to throwing a set of aged chicken bones to angry dogs that haven't eaten in over several days. It's also why Dr Peterson can present an idea as trite as Clean Your Room and have it come off as a groundbreaking observation. Which is all to say that while I think he's making unabashedly positive impacts in the development of our culture, I can also understand why in the modern intellectual atmosphere he can also in some aspects come off as legit overrated and placed on too large of a pedestal as well.

Very telling that the answer to "why do women wear make up" wasn't given.
To look pretty. Same reason some guys will use hair gel/wax or whatever. I won't debate the rest of Peterson's work but that clip is quite jarring. He sounds like the neanderthals that have propped him up to messiah status.

The suggestion that women use lipstick because it simulates sexual arousal is just so off the field that I'm kinda stunned. Let's ignore the fact that not all lipsticks are red (in fact most used on a day to day basis aren't), does anyone reallly think that women in general put it on thinking "yes, this will make me look sexually aroused and all those men around me will go apeshit" while laughing diabolically? Maybe it's just the fact that for multiple reasons that is a standard of beauty so they strive towards that. You know, Occam's razor and all.

It would certainly disappointing if Peterson was implying that women who dress a certain way in the workplace are in any way causing harrassment. That said, the idea that people of a different gender or race in the workplace should be blamed for any issues that men have is antithetical to the core of Dr Peterson's message for them. I don't exactly trust a source such as Vice to be impartial when presenting what he said; if they're making it out to look like women in the workplace are at fault for men's conduct it would for sure be suspect.

12 Rules for Life: An Antidote to Chaos Ladies Edition

Chapter 1: Don't wear makeup or high heels in the workplace, don't get harassed!
Chapter 2: Don't stand up straight--slouch and hide those boobies.
Chapter 3: At all times, walk like an NFL linebacker to avoid emphasizing those womanly child-bearing hips.
Chapter 4: Why are you working? The woman’s place is in the home.
Chapter 5: Unless you're a secretary. That's a job where all you do is listen to your boss. And typing is women's work.
Chapter 6: Working is a waste of time. You can't have a full, satisfying life unless you marry as quickly as possible and start pumping out kids.
Chapter 7: Your place is in the kitchen, cooking for the men
Chapter 8: You Know What, Just Go Ahead And Put On This Burka

"One of the most important thinkers to emerge on the world stage for many years" - Young Muslim Digest

To look pretty. Same reason some guys will use hair gel/wax or whatever. I won't debate the rest of Peterson's work but that clip is quite jarring. He sounds like the neanderthals that have propped him up to messiah status.

The suggestion that women use lipstick because it simulates sexual arousal is just so off the field that I'm kinda stunned. Let's ignore the fact that not all lipsticks are red (in fact most used on a day to day basis aren't), does anyone reallly think that women in general put it on thinking "yes, this will make me look sexually aroused and all those men around me will go apeshit" while laughing diabolically? Maybe it's just the fact that for multiple reasons that is a standard of beauty so they strive towards that. You know, Occam's razor and all.
Also thinking that make up is primarily blush and lipstick is uninformed at least.

Since anti-Peterson zealots seem to be so fascinated by the "make your bed" comment, watch the following video. It is ADM McRaven, the former USSOCOM Commander and Commander of what you will likely know as SEAL Team 6. Enjoy:

Since anti-Peterson zealots seem to be so fascinated by the "make your bed" comment, watch the following video. It is ADM McRaven, the former USSOCOM Commander and Commander of what you will likely know as SEAL Team 6. Enjoy:

u got it the wrong way round m8, "anti-Peterson zealots" are the only ones NOT fascinated by his "clean your room" mantra

u got it the wrong way round m8, "anti-Peterson zealots" are the only ones NOT fascinated by his "clean your room" mantra
That’s not true. Look at the comments in this thread and the YouTube comments associated with his videos. “Make your bed” is the hallmark of people who disagree with him. I have no idea why a psychologist is so inflammatory though. It’s fucking weird...

That’s not true. Look at the comments in this thread and the YouTube comments associated with his videos. “Make your bed” is the hallmark of people who disagree with him. I have no idea why a psychologist is so inflammatory though. It’s fucking weird...
yes its a meme used to make fun of the fact that jordans greatest insight may be that contextualizing chores as a grand evolutionary struggle for the romantic attention of proto-monkeys actually gets through to certain disagreeable boys who up to this point have been ignoring their mothers plea for them to clean their rooms and to sort themselves out.

anyone who gets into politics and who has some really stupid views will be "inflammatory" regardless of their education/occupation

fourth response: ad hominems

Vice having zero credibility is not an ad hominem. It is a fact.

For someone who seems to hate Jordan Peterson so much you sure spend a lot of time posting (trolling) about him. You even post about him in threads that have nothing to do with Dr. Peterson.

yes its a meme used to make fun of the fact that jordans greatest insight may be that contextualizing chores as a grand evolutionary struggle for the romantic attention of proto-monkeys actually gets through to certain disagreeable boys who up to this point have been ignoring their mothers plea for them to clean their rooms and to sort themselves out.

anyone who gets into politics and who has some really stupid views will be "inflammatory" regardless of their education/occupation
Again, not true. As the video I embedded points out, the idea of making your bed is a metaphor for taking positive ownership of the small behavioral patterns in your life. “Control what you can control, dismiss the rest.” Rather than defaulting to the nihilistic helplessness of being a small, insignificant speck in a grand universe, Peterson is saying that for a depressed person, starting off with small steps and taking ownership allows them to get a sense of power or influence in their own lives. For others, it’s the process of continued self-actualization in living the kind of life that you’re happy with/want to live. I’m actually a little surprised that I had to break this down. I honestly expect more from people.

Maybe part of the issue is whether the ideas someone is presenting are truly new and also whether or not ideas that aren't truly new are being presented in a fashion and in a way so that new audiences can reach them. With Dr Peterson, his ideas in psychology can certainly be considered new ideas, or at least some of them can, but when it comes to topics outside this, in particular religious doctrines and their relation to modern progress, his ideas seem so riveting because they present a genuine intellectual outlet for an audience numbed to the usual Biblical literalist vs Dawkins purist noise. When it comes to modern social developments, there's an audience so used to seeing established intellectuals rehash the same arguments that they become famished for intellectual discourse; Dr Peterson can take present them old ideas and it's tantamount to throwing a set of aged chicken bones to angry dogs that haven't eaten in over several days. It's also why Dr Peterson can present an idea as trite as Clean Your Room and have it come off as a groundbreaking observation. Which is all to say that while I think he's making unabashedly positive impacts in the development of our culture, I can also understand why in the modern intellectual atmosphere he can also in some aspects come off as legit overrated and placed on too large of a pedestal as well.

At this point in time we don't need new intellectual ideas. We need timeless wisdom. It is timeless wisdom and age-old insights that Peterson is presenting. The time for talk is over. It is time to take action and that starts with cleaning your room and working on getting your life together.

There is a fourth response: Vice has zero credibility and is not worth paying attention to. I have not watched the Vice smear-piece and I have no intention of doing so.
1513326_10201456396359204_325539440_n.jpg

Back