The Jazz Thread

I caught John McLaughlin and Jimmy Herring last Wednesday and it was awesome, of course. I gained newfound respect for Herring. I've always liked the guy's playing but this is the first time I've ever seen him play straight fusion. He's a badass and his band was really good as well. I'd go see this band, Jimmy Herring and the Invisible Whip, again for sure.

The equipment for both bands was set up side by side on stage so there was about a ten minute break and then McLaughlin and the 4th dimension came out.

I haven't seen John live since 2007 and as soon as he starts playing it's like "wow, Herring was great but this is another level!" Not that I didn't already know that but it's nice to be reminded with just amazing technical prowess and flair as they opened with Miles Beyond.

Gary Husband, who plays keys, also played the second drum kit on the other side of the stage at different points during the set. He's very adept at both instruments. Actually when John introduced the band before the set, he said something like "This guy here, Gary Husband, on keys AND drums...don't you hate guys like that." It was pretty funny.

After an hour set from each band Jimmy and his band came back out and the entire ensemble played about an hour of Mahavishnu Orchestra material. Just awesome.

This is McLaughlin's last American tour and there's still a lot of dates left. I HIGHLY recommend seeing this if they come anywhere near you.

I've listened to music since I was a kid , but could never get into jazz. Could some of you post some good songs to listen to that I might enjoy?

Depends what kind of music you like. Some random ones I love, you may too.

Oliver Nelson - Stolen Moment

Charles Mingus - Eh's Flat Ah's Flat Too

Jaki Byard - Memories of You

Charles Lloyd - Forrest Flower: Sunrise

Grant Green - Windjammer

Charles Earland - Leavin' This Planet

Dave Holland - Conference of the Birds

Sonny Sharrock - Who Does She Hope To Be?

I've listened to music since I was a kid , but could never get into jazz. Could some of you post some good songs to listen to that I might enjoy?
I'm going to merge your thread with one started by @Rimbaud82 a while back that has a lot of great Jazz posted.

Have you heard any you like that might give some indication of the type of stuff you might like to hear more of (e.g. big band, swing, soul jazz, cool jazz, bebop, hard bop etc.)

Personally, I like a lot of stuff, but other than some fusion stuff I would probably say hard bop is my favourite, especially stuff that swings seriously hard. Like so:

Have you heard any you like that might give some indication of the type of stuff you might like to hear more of (e.g. big band, swing, soul jazz, cool jazz, bebop, hard bop etc.)

Personally, I like a lot of stuff, but other than some fusion stuff I would probably say hard bop is my favourite, especially stuff that swings seriously hard. Like so:

hm ha this might sound square but i like kind melodic stuff without really weird chord changes. that post i liked with sharrock i really dug cause it kind of reminds me of the 70s isley brothers. I like stuff that sounds like it influenced rnb or rock.

btw i really dug that song. its soothing. I might be getting old cause I can't just listen to pop songs anymore. I need something that calms my soul.

Last edited:
hm ha this might sound square but i like kind melodic stuff without really weird chord changes. that post i liked with sharrock i really dug cause it kind of reminds me of the 70s isley brothers. I like stuff that sounds like it influenced rnb or rock.

btw i really dug that song. its soothing. I might be getting old cause I can't just listen to pop songs anymore. I need something that calms my soul.

Maybe some Pharoah Sanders then

or Yusef Lateef

It can be a tough listen, but George Lewis' Homage to Charles Parker is beautiful

Maybe some Pharoah Sanders then

or Yusef Lateef

It can be a tough listen, but George Lewis' Homage to Charles Parker is beautiful

wow i loved that Sanders track. I'm actually a big fan of jazz influenced music like burt bacharach and steely dan, so i def dig stuff like this. I also like brazilian music too.

wow i loved that Sanders track. I'm actually a big fan of jazz influenced music like burt bacharach and steely dan, so i def dig stuff like this. I also like brazilian music too.

well check out alice coltrane, already posted in this thread but stuff like journey in satchidananda is exactly what you would like then.

@Jimmy Jazz this is some random obscure Japanese jazz lp I found on youtube a few years ago but it's great and you might like this sort of stuff more so than hard bop

Or a master like Bill Evans of course

Because Rahsaan Roland Kirk was the coolest

One of the best performances ever

"The only tune Don Ellis plays in 4 is 'Take Five'"
-Charlie Haden

@Jimmy Jazz this is some random obscure Japanese jazz lp I found on youtube a few years ago but it's great and you might like this sort of stuff more so than hard bop

Or a master like Bill Evans of course

oh cool ive heard of bill evans. you might like this.

"The only tune Don Ellis plays in 4 is 'Take Five'"
-Charlie Haden

Wht do you think of Charlie's daughter Petra? I saw her with Bill Frisell two yrs ago at the Village VAnguard.

Wht do you think of Charlie's daughter Petra? I saw her with Bill Frisell two yrs ago at the Village VAnguard.

Don't really know her, to be honest. My knowledge of jazz is pretty weak after the 80s. Even the "young" jazz musicians I know are old now like Chris Potter and James Carter. Hell, even wunderkind Julian Lage is 30 now.

Don't really know her, to be honest. My knowledge of jazz is pretty weak after the 80s. Even the "young" jazz musicians I know are old now like Chris Potter and James Carter. Hell, even wunderkind Julian Lage is 30 now.

I'm not a huge fan of singers but she had a great voice. Bill Frisell did a tour playing a sets of his interpretations of Movie and TV theme songs.

My interest in Jazz was rekindled (not that it ever died) by 10+ trips back to NYC the last 18 months. I'm a creature of habit so I did what i usually do in NYC. Long walks down to lower Manhattan, Washington sq, the Village Vanguard, Blue Note, post set jewish deli meal, and walk back late at night.

I actually saw Ron Carter back in May doing his 80th birthday celebration shows.

Here's some stuff you might find accessible;

The Bad Plus does a lot of rock covers you can find easily on YouTube. They have their own material too but the covers might help you acclimate to their sound.

Medeski, Martin and Wood lean heavily on funk when they're electric but they also play acoustic stuff that's more straightforward jazz. John Medeski is amazing on keys and the whole trio is very solid.

I just discovered these guys recently as I'm newish to the Boston music scene

Club d'Elf - "Moroccan dosed psychedelic dub jazz"

If you like mellow

Or they also get funky

Back