The Jazz Thread

You're welcome. Have a nice weekend my friend. ;)
(Visste inte att du talade svenska, så du är finlandssvensk eller?)
Just det men mutsi kom int' härifrån ursprungligen, var 'midtjyde' eller va för nånting dom kallas :p (utkanten av Ringkøbing iaf.) o var självfallet danskspråkig. Tack detsamma!

Alright my Sherbros i need your assistance.While i do know a wee bit about the genre i am far from the knowledgeable jazz brains you lot are.Im not bypassing the greats like Thelonious or Count Basie but just now i'd like to expand my jazz repertoire with the guitar greats.Metheny,DiMeola and similar i know but maybe someone not as well known,maybe even some up & coming future legend or a newbie?Someone obscure?Any and all suggestions are appreciated...thank you all,cheers.

Alright my Sherbros i need your assistance.While i do know a wee bit about the genre i am far from the knowledgeable jazz brains you lot are.Im not bypassing the greats like Thelonious or Count Basie but just now i'd like to expand my jazz repertoire with the guitar greats.Metheny,DiMeola and similar i know but maybe someone not as well known,maybe even some up & coming future legend or a newbie?Someone obscure?Any and all suggestions are appreciated...thank you all,cheers.

Check out Fareed Haque. His bands Garaj Mahal and Fareed Haque Group have a more jammy funk/rock approach but he's played with a number of different ensembles over the years. I used to see him fairly regularly when I lived in Chicago and he never dissapoints. His electric guitar playing has a strong middle eastern influence. He also recorded and played with Goran Ivanovic as an acoustic duo that was fantastic.

Chris Siebold from Kick the Cat is a great younger fusion player as is John Moulder who is part of Paul Wertico Trio. (You may be familiar with Wertico as he was Metheny's drummer years ago.)

A couple I mentioned in the "guitar hero" thread, Allan Holdsworth and Larry Coryell don't seem to have huge followings but both are incredible players each with their own unique approach.

I've seen all of those guys live and they've all left strong impressions.

Exactly this! @Gorack Thank you.I''ve not heard of Fareed Haque and cant wait to hear him.Sounds interesting as hell.I have heard of the Goran Ivanovic Trio but not the two together,too bad you dont have some Iphone bootleg :) Im ashamed to say im so far out of the jazz loop with a busy life that ive not heard of Siebold or Moulder either.Definitely looking forward to all these players,i thank you my friend.I had Metal Fatigue by Holdsworth given to me when i was young and played it constantly.He has better imo but always loved that for some reason....cheers!

Check out Fareed Haque. His bands Garaj Mahal and Fareed Haque Group have a more jammy funk/rock approach but he's played with a number of different ensembles over the years. I used to see him fairly regularly when I lived in Chicago and he never dissapoints. His electric guitar playing has a strong middle eastern influence. He also recorded and played with Goran Ivanovic as an acoustic duo that was fantastic.

Chris Siebold from Kick the Cat is a great younger fusion player as is John Moulder who is part of Paul Wertico Trio. (You may be familiar with Wertico as he was Metheny's drummer years ago.)

A couple I mentioned in the "guitar hero" thread, Allan Holdsworth and Larry Coryell don't seem to have huge followings but both are incredible players each with their own unique approach.

I've seen all of those guys live and they've all left strong impressions.
Thank you. ^^^^^^^^^^See above

Thank you. ^^^^^^^^^^See above

No problem. One I forgot if you're into Django Reinhardt's gypsy jazz, check out Alfonso Ponticelli with Swing Gitan. Dude rips on an acoustic.

No problem. One I forgot if you're into Django Reinhardt's gypsy jazz, check out Alfonso Ponticelli with Swing Gitan. Dude rips on an acoustic.

Wow man your dead on about Ponticelli on the acoustic,he absolutely rips it up.Someone on here i believe turned me on to Reinhardt recently,another i've enjoyed tremendously!Again Gorack i thank you kindly for your help with these musicians,its inspiring to find these amazing players that still play from within their heart & soul and aren't record label created cookie cutter shite.Cheers man!

Nice piece here by the Les McCann Trio. Pretty high energy. Each musician gets their turn

Jazz-rock-punk-fusion (from Japan) but it fits here, imo. Love these guys.

@Gutter Chris you might like this also, since you like punk and horns

Last edited:
Back