The importance of cowboy vs edwards

MMA_enthusiast

Purple Belt
@purple
Reaction score
This match on the surface doesn’t seem big. But put in this context.

If cowboy wins he will be the all time leader in ufc wins ahead of GSP and Bisping (currently all tied at 20).

If Edwards wins he finally gets his big name win which will allow him to go further in the division. I imagine the doors to condit, lawyer or Magny will finally open.

May the best man win

Ya I guess you can spin any fight to have some importance, but no. This as a main event is a joke, I like Cerrone and he's always entertaining, but neither of these guys is a serious contender, and main events should be either title fights or at least two top contenders fighting for a title shot.

But ya, may the best man win.

It was a decent fight .. after the first round, cerrone looked done kinda

I had it 3-2 Cowboy. Close fight though.

Meh.

Neither guy looked like a world beater tonight, tbh.

I really enjoyed the fight and was throughly impressed by Edwards. I didn’t think much of him before, kinda just chalked up his dominace to the level of competition he was against.. but i don’t think he had a problem with cowboy. Thank god the judges got that fight right.. when everyone was saying that cowboy won the third I was thinking, “in what world... he got countered off of almost every shot..” and cowboy didn’t fold, he’s still got some fight left in him for sure. But you can tell he’s getting older..

I had it 3-2 Cowboy. Close fight though.
What I want to know is how did Sherdog give Edwards the fifth??? It was a close fight but I had it Cowboy too.

Cowboy is fun AF as a fighter but he is a shell of his former self now. He can still put on fun scraps but he is so much slower, less deadly and susceptible to punishment.

Really? I didn’t see that. Yeah, I don’t see any way you justify giving the fifth to Edwards.

I had Cowboy winning 3, 4, and 5.

What I want to know is how did Sherdog give Edwards the fifth??? It was a close fight but I had it Cowboy too.

Damn I thought they both looked good. cowboy because he wasn’t 100% and is probably beyond is prime, but still a badass. Edwards because it was a serious test and he looked the best he’s looked and is on the way up. It was a a decent technical battle and a surprise that no-one got knocked out, but I feel that with time Edwards will start throwing heavier whereas as cowboy has evolved, its been the other way round. I didn’t expect much tbh but it was decent.

Cerrone is still tough af. He is just not going to do well against these young, big WWs. He is a LW. Period. No way Leon is making LW. These guys have 20 lbs on him. He only has a couple of losses to orthodox, but seems to only fight southpaws. He should start thinking just a little bit before taking a fight.

Meh.

Neither guy looked like a world beater tonight, tbh.
That's what I'm saying, Homez. We know Cowboy is a shell of his former self (maybe he needs to fight more), but if you aren't steam rolling him, you are gonna get mah-murk-ed by the division's elite. There are 45'ers that would run through Cowboy at this point, yet he is still ranked highly.

Cerrone is still tough af. He is just not going to do well against these young, big WWs. He is a LW. Period. No way Leon is making LW. These guys have 20 lbs on him. He only has a couple of losses to orthodox, but seems to only fight southpaws. He should start thinking just a little bit before taking a fight.
Yeah. He had some really nice tailor made match ups that catapulted him up the welter ranks, but there were always big new 70'ers that were just bad match ups for him. He should have never left 55 and never struggled to make the weight. Losing to RDA for the belt is a poor reason to abandon your division. His gamedness has always been his undoing.

Back