The Hypocrisy of MM and his "superfight" pay

For a guy who doesn't "move the needle" there sure are a lot of threads about him on here.

For a guy who doesn't "move the needle" there sure are a lot of threads about him on here.
Because the majority of people who give a shit about MM post on Sherdog. His ppv numbers indicate he absolutely does not move the needle.

People wanna see him fight someone who possibly can beat him.. Cejudo didn't even look good against the lesser Pettis. I don't see the rematch going any differently. Joe B and cejudo are a level above the division and MM is a level above them...

Joe B and Cejudo would beat everyone DJ has beaten during his reign, minus Cejudo beating Joe B but arguably could. Joe B would be the 11/12x defending champ too if DJ weren't there.

The only other division I can think of where that can be said is with DC at LHW minus Jones, which he has basically proven.

Actually people would come to the circus to see mice perform acrobats :)
Maybe... I think TJ is a harder fight for MM than Cody is, personally.. DJ may feel the same way.

DJ argues that he should be paid superfight money to have a "super fight" with Dillashaw. He thinks it's silly for him to fight the guys he currently fights for the same money as TJ and expects to get paid what the higher draws in MMA make.

That's the issue... he doesn't draw. He doesn't make the UFC any money so they paid him accordingly... he agreed to this when he signed the contract....

No mention of this required pay when Cody was mentioned as his "super fight". I think he genuinely is worried by the skill level of TJ Dillashaw and the problems he would pose him. I'd be worried too if I were him. TJ has constantly for years now been fighting more dangerous fighters than MM so he may not be ready for this step up, when he has only fought 2 fighters worth a damn in years.

DJ is an amazing fighter but he isn't doing his MMA legacy any favors by fighting guys that aren't legit title contenders. Just once, I wanna see a contender of DJ's beat Cejudo or Joe B. Just one. They won't because Cejudo and particularly old man Joe B can beat anyone MM has beaten, except MM.

Oh look another thread bashing MM based on the comments of the ever reliable and totally trustworthy Dana White.

Needs some tatts or a funny haircut. Maybe needs to call people of entire country filthy.
Nice guy with skills just doesn't cut it anymore.

He isn't disliked because he's "just a nice guy". Small men fighting isn't that appealing outside of hardcore fans, he has no competition at his weight class, and he refuses to move up.

It's his career decision, I don't care. Let him fight bums for $150k a pop if he wants to. I respect him as a fighter, but as far as pay he gets what he deserves. Literally.

Needs some tatts or a funny haircut. Maybe needs to call people of entire country filthy.
Nice guy with skills just doesn't cut it anymore.
Or just stop being a midget fighting other midgets.

Pay the man or keep recycling fighters to him he's already clowned.

TJ might not even be champ in 2 months.

I am sure all my sherdog brothers have this information, at the same time I am not sure how accurate it is but I am assuming it should be in the ball park. Here is Demetrious Johnson's UFC salary history. From what I see and in my opinion, he gets paid well for basically being a zero draw. It also seems like and I don't know when he last negotiated his deal, but he is being compensated pretty well for last few fights.

UFC 126 – Feb 5/11 – W (Yamamoto) – $10,000 ($5,000 to show, $5,000 win bonus)

UFC 130 – May 28/11 – W (Torres) – $12,000 ($6,000 to show, $6,000 win bonus)

UFC Live: Cruz vs Johnson – Oct 1/11 – L (Cruz) – $20,000*

UFC on FX: Alves vs Kampmann – Mar 3/12 – D (McCall) – $90,000 ($20,000 to show, $20,000 win bonus – UFC paid it out despite the fight being a draw, $50,000 Fight of the Night bonus)*

UFC on FX: Johnson vs McCall – Jun 8/12 – W (McCall) – $40,000 ($20,000 to show, $20,000 win bonus)

UFC 152 – Sept 22/12 – W (Benavidez) – $46,000 ($23,000 to show, $23,000 win bonus)*

UFC on Fox: Johnson vs Dodson – Jan 26/13 – W (Dodson) – $102,000 ($26,000 to show, $26,000 win bonus, $50,000 Fight of the Night bonus)*

UFC on Fox: Johnson vs Moraga – Jul 27/13 – W (Moraga) – $108,000 ($29,000 to show, $29,000 win bonus, $50,000 Submission of the Night bonus)

UFC on Fox: Johnson vs Benavidez 2 – Dec 14/13 – W (Benavidez) – $225,000 ($125,000 to show, $50,000 win bonus, $50,000 Knockout of the Night bonus)

UFC 174 – Jun 14/14 – W (Bagautinov) – $179,000 ($127,000 to show, $52,000 win bonus)*

UFC 178: Sept 27/14 – W (Cariaso) – $183,000 ($129,000 to show, $54,000 win bonus)

UFC 186 – Apr 25/15 – W (Horiguchi) – $237,000 ($131,000 to show, $56,000 win bonus, $50,000 Performance of the Night bonus)

UFC 191 – Sept 5/15 – W (Dodson) – $231,000 ($133,000 to show, $58,000 win bonus, $40,000 Reebok sponsorship)

UFC 197 – Apr 23/16 – W (Cejudo) – $285,000 ($135,000 to show, $60,000 win bonus, $50,000 Performance of the Night bonus, $40,000 Reebok sponsorship)

TUF: Tournament of Champions Finale – Dec 3/16 – W (Elliott) – $390,000 ($350,000 to show, $40,000 Reebok sponsorship)

UFC Fight Night: Johnson vs Reis – Apr 16/17 – W (Reis) – $450,000 ($360,000 to show, $50,000 Performance of the Night bonus, $40,000 Reebok sponsorship)*

UFC 216 – Oct 7/17 – W (Borg) – $460,000 ($370,000 to show, $40,000 Reebok sponsorship, $50,000 Performance of the Night bonus)

I am not sure how many fights are in his current deal, but his next fight should be for $380,000.00. Which is damn good in my opinion for a flyweight.

Maybe... I think TJ is a harder fight for MM than Cody is, personally.. DJ may feel the same way.
I agree with you. Cody just represents a more dangerous first fight Dodson imo. He has the ability to rock/ko MM but it's highly unlikely and he'd probably get worked the whole 25 mins.

He doesn't draw and yet demands big money. Won't take bigger fights to increase his popularity that would result in him earning bigger money.

If he is happy staying where he is in increasingly pointless fights and rematches the fans don't care about then fine. Just stop bitching about the lack of money and respect because you don't deserve either.

Is there something different about this thread, that you could not simply have responded to one of the dozen or more MM threads in existence? Or, like the others, is this just a fresh thread to bash MM? You people are petulant children. The sooner you realize MM owes you nothing, and you have zero control over his life, you can move on. What is really bothering you is MM is mostly content, and not engaging with you trolls.

It is a little hypocritical - but at the same time, you're worth what you can bring to the table financially

and if there isn't a huge demand to see Mighty Mouse - why should he make _____?

woried about tj?

dj beat dodson who obliterated tj.

Just once, I wanna see a contender of DJ's beat Cejudo or Joe B. Just one. They won't because Cejudo and particularly old man Joe B can beat anyone MM has beaten, except MM.

Well, you got to see Benavidez defeat Cejudo, so your wish is granted.

If TJ is willing to cut to MM division and the UFC puts him up as the next contender MM should fight him under his existing contract. Existing contracts are for fighting contenders within ones own division and it sets a terrible president to let Champs say no to them for any reason. It is entirely different if the UFC was asking him to move up or out of his division for a CW fight or one at the division above. Also if they ask Champs to take short notice fights as they need to boost a card or even for last minute injury replacement bouts where their scheduled contender drops off. Those are not normal course type situations and a Champ can say no to any but they should never say no to any one who makes weight in their division, that is properly scheduled with time to train and who the UFC puts forth as the next contender.

DJ argues that he should be paid superfight money to have a "super fight" with Dillashaw. He thinks it's silly for him to fight the guys he currently fights for the same money as TJ and expects to get paid what the higher draws in MMA make.

That's the issue... he doesn't draw. He doesn't make the UFC any money so they paid him accordingly... he agreed to this when he signed the contract....

What's really crazy about this conversation is...because of how the MMA landscape has changed, your argument actually sounds reasonable.

I mean...if you can accomplish what no man has ever done before, which is become the UFC champion and defend your belt 10 times with greater than a 50% finish rate. You'd think you should be able demand some of the best, if not THE best contract terms.

But since we live in the era of spectacle where audience size is power, which allows Kim Kardashian to be a celebrity, WWE wrestlers with no experience can fight in the UFC and Donald Trump to be the president - then your drawing power also dictates a fighters salary more than their fighting ability, experience, talent. etc.

That being said, good for DJ. He's represents how the sport should be. Or would you rather watch Brock Lesnar fight Jon Jones for the steroid belt or CM punk make a third attempt at getting his first win.

TJ has constantly for years now been fighting more dangerous fighters than MM so he may not be ready for this step up, when he has only fought 2 fighters worth a damn in years.

Dodson, for instance, turned out to be quite dangerous to him.

I am not sure how many fights are in his current deal, but his next fight should be for $380,000.00. Which is damn good in my opinion for a flyweight.

For a flyweight. Other things being equal, should smaller fighters be paid less? After all, they need to eat less to maintain the same level of activity. <45>

Back