The Hypocrisy of MM and his "superfight" pay

chinarice

Titanium Belt
@Titanium
Reaction score
DJ argues that he should be paid superfight money to have a "super fight" with Dillashaw. He thinks it's silly for him to fight the guys he currently fights for the same money as TJ and expects to get paid what the higher draws in MMA make.

That's the issue... he doesn't draw. He doesn't make the UFC any money so they paid him accordingly... he agreed to this when he signed the contract....

No mention of this required pay when Cody was mentioned as his "super fight". I think he genuinely is worried by the skill level of TJ Dillashaw and the problems he would pose him. I'd be worried too if I were him. TJ has constantly for years now been fighting more dangerous fighters than MM so he may not be ready for this step up, when he has only fought 2 fighters worth a damn in years.

DJ is an amazing fighter but he isn't doing his MMA legacy any favors by fighting guys that aren't legit title contenders. Just once, I wanna see a contender of DJ's beat Cejudo or Joe B. Just one. They won't because Cejudo and particularly old man Joe B can beat anyone MM has beaten, except MM.

Needs some tatts or a funny haircut. Maybe needs to call people of entire country filthy.
Nice guy with skills just doesn't cut it anymore.

That's been the go-to in 2018 to refuse fights. "We couldn't agree on money!" or "I suddenly need to re-work the entire contract I just signed two weeks ago!"

Needs some tatts or a funny haircut. Maybe needs to call people of entire country filthy.

It's the circus effect...No matter how much of a bad boy and a loudmouth DJ would be, he still wouldn't get the same attention.

People go to the circus to see Elephants balance on balls, bears riding unicycles, tigers jumping through hoops....They will not come for a mouse.

If DJ was 170 and up...I'm pretty confident he would have more eyes on him.

No mention of this required pay when Cody was mentioned as his "super fight".

Not in public. You don't know what goes on between he and the UFC.

Don't assume that just because it's not public that it isn't happening.

Plus the Cody talk wasn't "serious" at all.

Agreed.

Maybe MM will get paid more if he actually fights someone interesting for once.

I think he's worried TJ will end his streak. TJ is better at everything except the clinch, where his size should be enough to at least get out of it if not muscle MM around.

Dillashaw is currently the most skilled fighter on the roster, if p4p were real he'd be number 1.

This crap don't happen in other major sports.

Numbers and talent always got paid for their WORK.
Not how many times you show up on TMZ.

As great as MM is, he just doesn't move the needle.

Plus, he's never had a great rivalry. Cruz is the only possibility and their first fight was so long ago, nobody remembers it.

If TJ is willing to cut to MM division and the UFC puts him up as the next contender MM should fight him under his existing contract. Existing contracts are for fighting contenders within ones own division and it sets a terrible precident to let Champs say no to them for any reason.

It is entirely different if the UFC was asking him to move up or out of his division for a CW fight or one at the division above. Also if they ask Champs to take short notice fights as they need to boost a card or even for last minute injury replacement bouts where their scheduled contender drops off. Those are not normal course type situations and a Champ can say no to any but they should never say no to any one who makes weight in their division, that is properly scheduled with time to train and who the UFC puts forth as the next contender.

Last edited:
DJ is an amazing fighter but he isn't doing his MMA legacy any favors by fighting guys that aren't legit title contenders. Just once, I wanna see a contender of DJ's beat Cejudo or Joe B. Just one. They won't because Cejudo and particularly old man Joe B can beat anyone MM has beaten, except MM.

DJ is not an amazing fighter though. An average MW in the UFC would beat his ass silly. He has "amazing looking" skills that are effective only on other manlets, they mostly do not work against adult sized fighters in the UFC, of which there are hundreds. there's a big difference.

Mouse is so boring. He shouldn't get superfight pay unless he draws superfight audience and he doesn't.

But he does deserve the superfight money, because he would be making sacrifices. This fight isn't happening at 125. TJ Dillashaw already cancelled his test cut. He was doing a test cut in January 2018 to prove to Dana & the UFC that he could do it -- it didn't work.

The only way this fight happens is if MM moves up to 135. Why would MM move up to fight a bigger guy in a higher division without a pay raise?? If I was getting $500k but I had to choose between staying in my own division and fighting someone my size, or moving up and fighting someone 10-15 pounds heavier, I'm staying in my division. You would do the same thing in his shoes, so don't be a hypocrite.

Partially agree, but DJs biggest problem is no solid contender in his weight class. He is a brilliant and very talented can crusher.

Sure maybe some trash talk and being an arse would slightly increase his numbers, but he needs a solid contender IN HIS WEIGHTCLASS. Or move up to 135. Being an ass is not enough and you need to be good at it. Conor did it great and backed it up with some solid fights against good fighters.

TJ vs DJ is not a superfight when it comes to PPV sales. I doubt it would do more than 300k if Main Event.

Could be a good main card bout though on a card with a real superfight.

Last edited:
Just pay the man. We all want to see him challenged by TJ. Ratings might not be off the charts... but let him put that P4P ranking up.

Not in public. You don't know what goes on between he and the UFC.

Don't assume that just because it's not public that it isn't happening.

Plus the Cody talk wasn't "serious" at all.
Well, sure but he publicly mentioned the issue with DJ.... He never mentioned anything about needing more money to fight Cody... It was talked about publicly and he said he was open to fighting him... He didn't say "If the UFC paid me more".

How about TJ earns the right to even call it a super fight, by defending his title first. Its a bitch move to call out a smaller champion as soon as you win a title. He tried to fight for a second title in order to duck contenders in his own weight class. TJ knows there is a contender who already beat him. He was trying to avoid defending. It was TJ doing the McDuck and trying to be like Connor, not DJ. DJ has beat everyone in his weight class, but bitches still hate. If TJ wanted to fight DJ instead of defending, he should have fought Benavidez first and prove he deserves it. You do not deserve to fight for a second title just because you just won a title. If DJ called for the fight it would be different. He's actually earned it.

Just pay the man. We all want to see him challenged by TJ. Ratings might not be off the charts... but let him put that P4P ranking up.
Right but the problem is, they can't. He isn't bringing them in any money to justify him making a million dollars. I understand he wants more and I think based on his SKILLS, he deserves it. The problem is, the majority of MMA fans, casual or hardcore, just don't give a shit how good he is.

The UFC is basically done promoting him and his division for the most part. It's gonna be on him to make people wanna see him.

Conor did not have the UFC to invest in him immediately. He took it upon himself to make that happen. The UFC wasn't all over him when he KTFO'ed Marcus Brimage... He started talking a bunch and then backed it up... DJ COULD do the same... he honestly would probably have 10x the money, had he just talked a bunch of shit.... which is sad but probably reality.

Well, sure but he publicly mentioned the issue with DJ.... He never mentioned anything about needing more money to fight Cody... It was talked about publicly and he said he was open to fighting him... He didn't say "If the UFC paid me more".

Maybe because the conversation about Cody didn't last long enough and wasn't really serious.

It's the circus effect...No matter how much of a bad boy and a loudmouth DJ would be, he still wouldn't get the same attention.

People go to the circus to see Elephants balance on balls, bears riding unicycles, tigers jumping through hoops....They will not come for a mouse.

If DJ was 170 and up...I'm pretty confident he would have more eyes on him.

Actually people would come to the circus to see mice perform acrobats :)

Would love to see Mighty mouse VS dillashaw...but fucking pay the man. not like hes out there playing basketball or golf

Back